PDA

View Full Version : New Router

Steve Roxberg
07-13-2006, 3:33 PM
I will be purchasing a router lift for my table in the next few weeks.

I currently own a Bosch 1617 2.25 HP Variable speed router that I like and have multiple bases for.

I've considered getting a 3 1/4 horse for the table, and yes I just missed the Amazon deal, but I assume that they will be back on sale again.

Or should I buy another Bosch D-Handle 1617 and gain the advantage of having a bunch of routers that can share parts?

I will raise panels, but haven't yet. But even then I've assumed I'd need to make multiple passes with either.

I am not a production shop, do I need 3/25 hp?

scott spencer
07-13-2006, 3:52 PM
I've raised panels on both a 2hp and a 3hp router, and both will do the trick. You don't NEED a 3hp router but it makes much easier work of it and requires fewer passes. It's also alot easier on the motor of the bigger machine.

Ted Jay
07-13-2006, 11:31 PM
I will be purchasing a router lift for my table in the next few weeks.

I currently own a Bosch 1617 2.25 HP Variable speed router that I like and have multiple bases for.

I've considered getting a 3 1/4 horse for the table, and yes I just missed the Amazon deal, but I assume that they will be back on sale again.

Or should I buy another Bosch D-Handle 1617 and gain the advantage of having a bunch of routers that can share parts?

I will raise panels, but haven't yet. But even then I've assumed I'd need to make multiple passes with either.

I am not a production shop, do I need 3/25 hp?

After looking at all the options that are availiable I settled on the Triton Plunge router... see my thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39353
Ted

Brian Clevenger
07-14-2006, 12:04 AM
I have the JessemFX that I use with my 1617evs. I like it a lot, but I do have to make multiple passes on raised panels. Lucky for me, my wife doesn't really like the look of the raised panel doors, so it has quickly become a non-issue.

For everything else, that little Bosch in the Jessem lift has been a dream to use. I even tried out my Hitachi m12sc router to see how it worked in the FX. It worked fine, just good enough for me to take it back out and get the 1617 back in there before I forgot. The ONLY thing I don't like is that I've gotten so use to it, that I hardly take the Bosch out of the table, and it is by far my favorite hand-held router to use. I'll be looking at getting just another 1617 motor to leave in the table, but they are kinda hard to find at a bargain.

Steve Roxberg
07-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Brian, I've been looking for another bosch motor as well. Just missed one last week on ebay and already had the fixed base sold. My sniping software kicked in a 32 seconds and I had it until the person I beat out raised their price.

I would have walked away with another motor for only $75 after selling the other base.

I'm strongly considering buying the D-handle then I'll have every base and two motors.

Brian Evans
07-14-2006, 2:07 AM
After looking at all the options that are availiable I settled on the Triton Plunge router... see my thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39353
Ted

Ted, I also have the Triton (and it's little brother still NIB).
If you're going to table mount, I can highly recommend the Jessem Mast-R-Plate. They guarantee the plate will fit any router and all be if it doesn't actually have holes that match up with the Triton, even though it's not shown in the manual.

BTW, I see Holbren has been servicing the heck out of this forum as well. Great guy, great service.

Tom Hintz
07-14-2006, 3:24 AM
Though I have been using the PC 7518, 3 1/4Hp in my primary table for a few years now, I used a Bosch 1617 for all my table based projects for a long time, including raising a bunch of door panels, with no problem at all.
You do have to make multiple passes with the 2 1/4Hp routers but should anyway regardless of power because removing less wood per-pass eliminates some chipping and just produces a better finish. Taking a lot of wood off on each pass is probably more stressful on the wood than the router.
The big thing I like about having the # 1/4Hp router in the table is that it is just cruising along no matter how big a bit is being used. I think that in the long run that will result in a long life. I use the router table frequently so longevity can be an issue.

John Lohmann
07-14-2006, 9:49 PM
Can I just buy the D handle for this router, & just have a longer cord & just turn it off & on normally

Steve Roxberg
07-14-2006, 9:55 PM
Can I just buy the D handle for this router, & just have a longer cord & just turn it off & on normally

I believe so, you would just end up with two on off switches, the trigger, and the one on unit.

I would cut the cord sort and wire a new plug on myself, and then just use an extension cord if I had to.