PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Woodworking Site

Dave Richards
07-13-2006, 9:24 AM
Here's a link to a website about the construction of
Havhingsten fra Glendalough (http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/page.asp?objectid=203&zcs=458) (Sea Stallion from Glendalough) a 30 metre Viking longship replica built in Roskilde, Denmark. It's a replica of Skuldelev 2 and was built (as much as was practical) using tools and methods contemporary to the time of the original.

Take a look at the links toward the bottom of the page. There are some video clips showing how they got out planks and the keelson along with the manufacture of pine tar which is used as a sealer between pieces of wood and in the caulking between planks.

Very impressive work.

Reed Wells
07-14-2006, 6:39 PM
Dave, Thanks so much for the interesting and very informative link. That is some process they went through making the charcoal and pitch. I think I will put that on my project board for next week, ya right. Thanks again, Reed

Lincoln Myers
07-18-2006, 7:29 PM
Cool site. Thanks for the post.

-Linc

Vaughn McMillan
07-19-2006, 1:58 AM
I'd better be sure to not show this site to my new BIL. He's into viking re-enactment, and if he sees this, he'll want me to build him a
viking ship. (To go along with the viking chests, tent, bed, and other stuff I'm already in the process of building for him.) ;)

Cool site, though.

- Vaughn

Kevin Swindle
07-19-2006, 9:39 AM
Dave, thanks for the link. I've been to the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde and seen some of these ships up close. The museum is very impressive and well worth the train ride to Roskilde. If going to Denmark I highly recommend taking a day to go there. Thanks again, it brought back some good memories.

Dave Richards
07-19-2006, 9:43 AM
Vaughn, I'm thinking you need to get yourself some big logs and get to splitting them into planks:D

Glad you all enjoyed it.