PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart Pen--will the color turn?

Matt Meiser
07-13-2006, 8:56 AM
I made my first pens/pencils last night. I made a set from rosewood ones from the blanks that I got for Fathers Day, then made my wife a set from some Purpleheart scraps I had. Obviously the unexposed wood was brown when I finished the pen and I put Shellawax on it before I took it off the lathe. Will it still turn purple? Or will the Shellawax keep that from happening?

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
From what I understand, Matt, exposure to sunlight will bring the color out in the wood, and it doesn't matter whether the wood has been coated or not in order for that to happen. Although the brilliance and beauty will come out, over time it will also fade.

Hope it helps.

Art Mulder
07-13-2006, 11:07 AM
... then made my wife a set from some Purpleheart scraps I had. Obviously the unexposed wood was brown when I finished the pen and I put Shellawax on it before I took it off the lathe. Will it still turn purple? Or will the Shellawax keep that from happening?

Matt, this sounds backwards from my experience with Purpleheart. To me, purpleheart turns brown with age, but starts off purple. And I wish I knew how to lock in the colour. Tung oil (polymerized tung from LVT) did a not bad job for me, but water-based flecto varathane did not. I miss the vibrancy of the new purple.

Frank Fusco
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
There is argument about whether the color change is due to age, light or oxidation. I have tested with light and gotten the change. However, sometimes I can't notice change. Like all woods, I belive it will vary with the tree. Finishes with a lot of UV inhibitors can slow the process lending support to the light school of thought.

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I have had the same experience as Art.

Mark Pruitt
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
There is some printed material "out there" somewhere that talks about the causes of the color change. I can't get my hands on it at the moment but the essence is, exposure to light brings about the change, and the implication is that once the piece is the "right" color, it should be kept away from direct sunlight and in a darker place. Still, this only slows the process rather than preventing it. I can't speak from experience; I've avoided purpleheart up to now precisely because of the threat of it turning to an undesired shade of brown. However, I have some PH pen blanks and "one of these days" I'm going to surprise LOML with a few pens. (She loves purple and has asked me many times to make something out of PH.)

Mark Rios
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I made my first pens/pencils last night. I made a set from rosewood ones from the blanks that I got for Fathers Day, then made my wife a set from some Purpleheart scraps I had. Obviously the unexposed wood was brown when I finished the pen and I put Shellawax on it before I took it off the lathe. Will it still turn purple? Or will the Shellawax keep that from happening?

Okay.....did I "hear" you correctly? You made the GOOD pens from the extra special rosewood blanks from the woodworking store but you make the LOYL/SWMBO a set from SCRAP?

Oh man.........!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Matt Meiser
07-13-2006, 1:25 PM
Okay.....did I "hear" you correctly? You made the GOOD pens from the extra special rosewood blanks from the woodworking store but you make the LOYL/SWMBO a set from SCRAP?

Oh man.........!!!!!!

:D :D :D

As long as it turns purple, she will be happy. If not then I'm in deep....

Jim Hinze
07-13-2006, 4:26 PM
As long as it turns purple, she will be happy. If not then I'm in deep....

Matt,

After turning purpleheart, I always take the mandrel outside for about 20 minutes prior to finishing.. gives it a nice purple sun-tan.

Never tried it after finishing, but it would only take about 15-30 minutes in the sun to find out.. (or under a flourescent that mimicks sunlite).

Matt Meiser
07-13-2006, 5:59 PM
(or under a flourescent that mimicks sunlite).

Shoot--never thought about that. I have full specturm bulbs in my spray booth.

Corey Hallagan
07-13-2006, 8:30 PM
Matt, I turned a vase with a purple heart collar on it. I sprayed it with lacquer. It is in a cabinet display think in the bathroom. It still looks as purple as the day I did it.....oh....2 months ago or so. I expect it will darken sometime but hasn't shown any sign yet.

corey

Bill Turpin
07-13-2006, 11:49 PM
I have read that there are about fifteen species of PH. This explains the tales as to color change...many are direct opposites of other tales. I turned several PH pens for wounded GIs that needed to stay purple. I treated them with water-based Trans-Tint purple dye and then finished w/shellac based friction polish. Still purple after three years of daily use. :)

Bill in WNC mountains