PDA

View Full Version : A little good tool news anyway! Pics.

Forrest Price
07-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Well folks, I finally worked up the gumption to tear into the bandsaw today. Looks like it'll be fixable! Motor survived which is a biggy. Was able to get most of the melted plastic and urethane (tires) off of things and spent a lot of time scraping and de-rusting. Got my parts list from Grizzly and hope to have it going by the end of August. Was a bear getting the melted goop out of gears, trunnions etc, and I hope to be able to clean/scrape/dissolve it off of the upper wheel to save me having to replace it. Bottom wheel is fine.

All the handwheels/knobs etc are destroyed, but fortunately they're not too spendy.

As long as the heat didn't tweak the whole frame, it should work just fine. It won't be pretty anymore, but at least it'll work!!

Here's pics of the bandsaw as it sits today, and one of the Powermatic lathe. I had to sandblast the lathe, sand it, prime/paint, replace all bearings, inverter, wiring, switches. what fun. Did you all know they use bondo on those to smooth out the castings? Sheesh. Boy, it's an ugly thing when it's stripped down! Still glad we didn't buy the Oneway 2436 though! Would hate to see $5k burned up! $2500 was bad enough.

Kristian Wild
07-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Nice job on the lathe Forrest. You look like you have your work cut out for you though... Good luck with the rest of the restorations!
I never noticed a post about a fire in your shop, I'll have to go and search for it.

Kris

Corey Hallagan
07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I hope you get the B-saw running top notch Forrest. The lathe is looking good. Bondo huh.... man.

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 5:10 AM
Glad to see the bandsaw is looking salvageable, Forrest. I like the mustard lathe in mayonaise colors. I can just see the Powermatic fans in the Turning Forum with their heads about to implode. And Andy Hoyt has a wicked grin because of it. ;) :p

Now that the Forrest Price Shop Rehab project is underway, we'll be looking forward to seeing more pics as things progress.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
07-13-2006, 6:14 AM
Forrest, the lathe is looking really good. Congrats on a fine job of restoration. Bondo? Who'd a thunk. And mayo looks fine on that mustard branded lathe.

I don't envy you as you tackle the rebuild, but I do admire you for challenging yourself to do it and in the meantime learn what makes all these electron burners tick.

Look forward to further updates.

Karl

Kyle Kraft
07-13-2006, 9:07 AM
If you like bondo, check out the "quality import" bench vises. They are mostly bondo with a small cast iron core. If you strike them with a hammer, the stuff comes off in chunks. Its the way the garage foundries make their stuff look good. Must be in the sand they're using.

Julio Navarro
07-13-2006, 9:10 AM
Good to see you hitting the restoration, Forrest. Good luck to you.