PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Glass???

Mark Rios
07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Would you folks kindly give me your favorite or optimal glass dimensions and type for sharpening? Tempered? Float? etc?........

Thanks very much.

Cecil Arnold
07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I use 1/4" plate about 12X12" but would like something bigger even though it would create a storage problem

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Do you know a shop that fabricates granite slab counters? The scrap in their dumpster would do you just fine. Good price, too.

Bruce Wrenn
07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Local glass place will make a 8" X24"-1/4" thich with polished edges for less than twenty bucks. Buying several drastically lowers price. Also not being in a hurry helps on price. Old crank out windows from doors are excellent also.

glenn bradley
07-13-2006, 12:26 AM
I used 1/4" plate and have a separate piece for each grit; 6" x 14" (all three for about $20, cut to size with the edges smoothed). This makes storage easier than a piece of glass 14" x 24" or whatever. They stack easily on a shelf. You can see here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37548

how I mounted them to wood strips with a retaining strip at each end in case I ever break a piece of the glass. As the abrasive wears out at the +/- 2" end where I sharpen, I just cut it off with a razor knife, clean off the adhesive with some alcohol and carry on.

Since the pictures in the thread I have added 2 pieces of marble tile with the coarser grits (220 and 400) on them for tools that have gone "beyond a quick honing". The marble is not as smooth as glass but more than adequate for the coarser grits.

Lee Schierer
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I have a piece of 3/8 plate glass that I picked up at the Five Barns picnic a few years ago. Used it last night for a tune up before this years picnic.

You can also go to the BORGs and buy a piece of marble floor tile. They are flat enough for your sharpening purposes.

John Gregory
07-13-2006, 1:09 PM
I used 1/4" plate and have a separate piece for each grit; 6" x 14" (all three for about $20, cut to size with the edges smoothed). This makes storage easier than a piece of glass 14" x 24" or whatever. They stack easily on a shelf. You can see here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37548

how I mounted them to wood strips with a retaining strip at each end in case I ever break a piece of the glass. As the abrasive wears out at the +/- 2" end where I sharpen, I just cut it off with a razor knife, clean off the adhesive with some alcohol and carry on.

Since the pictures in the thread I have added 2 pieces of marble tile with the coarser grits (220 and 400) on them for tools that have gone "beyond a quick honing". The marble is not as smooth as glass but more than adequate for the coarser grits.

Glenn, what three grits do you usually use to maintain the edge?

Russ Filtz
07-13-2006, 1:12 PM
Wrong thread. I thought you were going to ask about sharpening a piece of glass, not sharpening "on" glass! :p

Mark Rios
07-13-2006, 1:13 PM
Wrong thread. I thought you were going to ask about sharpening a piece of glass, not sharpening "on" glass! :p
No problem. We could talk about that too. :D

Frank Fusco
07-13-2006, 1:15 PM

Same here. Helps when folks tell what they are talking about up front. :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
07-13-2006, 1:53 PM
John G,

I use 220 and then 400 to prep if the surface has been abused. For blades in good shape that have previously been SS'd I use "3M" microabrasive film at 15, 5 and then point 3 micron. I almost threw the point 3 paper away when I got my order thinking it was a packing seperator. Literally . . . the backing paper is more coarse than the cutting surface but, WHAT A SHINE!