View Full Version : Small Turnings for Critique

Mike Jory
07-12-2006, 9:48 PM
Hi This is a test of a couple things. In a previous post someone said "We like pictures" so I've uploaded an Avitar of me! Now that I've seen it, I'm gonna change it.

The second test is uploading a photo. I understand the size limit. But one file, a jpg, I testd worked, the second file, a pst edited photo said it "contained no data"? What am I doing wrong?

So I uploaded the raw photo of a small group:
lower left, Padauk bowl: 5-1/2" X 2"
low center, Yellow Hart bowl: 5-1/2" X 1-7/8"
upper left, Canary Wood platter: 8" X 1-1/4" on the left.
upper right, Blank Cherry platter: 7-1/2" X 2" on the right
And two small unknowns from neighborhood trees, one ona Walnut saucer from the firewood bin.
Please feel free to critique and comment.
Thanks
Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2006, 9:53 PM
First........Welcome to the Creek! This photo will keep Tyler, the Photo Cop, and his henchmen off you back!

2nd.........Excellent turnings........I like the woods...the forms....the finish!
I'm sure a lot of us here can learn from you!

Again.....Welcome!

Corey Hallagan
07-12-2006, 9:58 PM
Welcome to SMC. Nice work, obviously "this isn't your first rodeo"! Beautiful job.

Corey

Don Baer
07-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Those all look great. I particularly like the one in the lower rught hand corner.

Vaughn McMillan
07-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice work, Mike, and welcome to the Creek. I'm new enough to turning that there's no critique I could offer to someone with your obvious experience. I'll just sit back and watch.

By the way, it looks like .pst files aren't supported by the forum software. Try saving it as a .jpg file, and you shoud be good to go.

- Vaughn

Ernie Nyvall
07-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Those all look great to me Mike. Nice job.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Welcome to SMC Mike. Those are some awesome looking turnings. I like the form and finish on all. Nice work.

Tom Sherman
07-13-2006, 6:53 AM
Mike it looks to me like you got em nailed. Nothing constructive I could offer, keep doing what your doing looks good to me.

Dick Parr
07-13-2006, 7:32 AM
Very nice job Mike and I love the finish you have on the piece's. Great Job.

Mark Patoka
07-13-2006, 7:43 AM
Welcome Mike! You've got some really good looking turnings there. Keep 'em coming.

Keith Burns
07-13-2006, 7:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek Mike. You can't find a better place to hang your hat. Very nice group of turnings, nice forms and finishes.:) :) Keep them coming.

Michael Stafford
07-13-2006, 9:30 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Mike. Only complaint I have is when you have a nice selection of eye candy such as you posted in your picture how about giving us the pleasure of eye balling them one at a time....We like to drool over lots of pictures and from your grouping I see 7 potential posts for the Turning Forum....:D

Mike Jory
07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
To All;
Thank you for all the comments, you are an encouragement. There is still much I don't know. I'm struggling now with rough half-log preparation for rough turning to shape and then put away for drying. I've only done a couple. Personally, I still sometimes feel intimidated by some tools and the approach to the workpiece. I'm really considering going, then joining the local AAW, to get a mentor and improve my ability & confidence.

Big Mike;
I had trouble editing the photos and then uploading the finished files. It was saved automatically as a pst file, I should check them and save as jpg, then upload each. I'll get them done so you can take a closer look. (wait till they see the cracks in the dried ones!)

Thanks again, I look forward to more conversations.
Mike

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Mike. That is some very nice work you posted.

As far as images go---you aren't limited to just attaching images. If you have some sort of online photo repository (which doesn't complain about bandwidth usage), you can include an image in your post by using the image button on the toolbar and supplying the appropriate URL. It's simple, and you don't wind up with a thumbnail. Attaching is convenient, but including makes it easier on the reader, IMHO. There are quite a few free online photo repositories out there.

Good luck, and keep 'em coming.

George Conklin
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Mike,
As part of the picture police posse, I'd like to commend you on your immediate posting of pictures!

The finish on your pieces is outstanding!

Keep the pics coming:D

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Good stuff!

But there are a lot of us here that don't consider stuff in the 5"-8" range "small". :p

And some of these crazies don't consider a piece to be small until it gets under 1". :eek:

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
As part of the picture police posse, I'd like to commend you on your immediate posting of pictures! Yo, George! Did Tyler send you your official "PPP" thong yet? :D :cool: :eek:

Andy Hoyt
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Good looking stuff ya have there, Mike.

Glad you found us. What part of the bay are you in?

Wayne Shipman over in Walnut Creek is an excellent teacher and active BAWT member.

Mike Jory
07-13-2006, 2:18 PM
Hi Andy, I was just thinking about going to the next AAW meeting in Dublin. I've been putting it off, but I'd like to watch and learn more Increase my skills - Decrease the firewood bin. :D

I'll have to make something nice for my wife to cough up the membership fee. I live in Castro Valley, I'd like to find a mentor in my area. I've spoken to Jim Rodgers about some lessons at his place, but that is a bit out of my reach.

Henry, Considering all the kind, postive comments I received, I'll have to research the on line storage idea for posting my work as it proceeds.
Thanks again to all for the encouragement.

Dario Octaviano
07-13-2006, 2:39 PM
All look wonderful! I agree...these could have been several posts worth :D

Glenn Hodges
07-14-2006, 1:35 AM
Mike I like the grouping, but I prefer individual picures of bowls this nice. From what I can tell you have an excellent eye for design and this makes the pieces exciting to look at. I appreciate your posting of the sizing of each piece, and I would like to know the finish you used and any special care it took to get this spectacular look.