PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a hole in the top of an umbrella table

Gary Herrmann
07-12-2006, 8:15 PM
Live and learn. I assembled the top and then got out the 1 3/4" Forstner to drill the hole. The problem? With 1/8" gaps and an even number of boards in the top, the center of the top was on a gap, so the lead point on the Forstner had nothing to grip into.

The result? The bit wandered a little and I got some funky marks around the hole. Sanding helped. They don't look horrible, but I'll know they're there. Hopefully the folks putting their drinks on the table won't.

Next time I'll use the DP to cut half a hole in each board or some other method. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has a project like this in their immediate future.

I'm getting to the point that I don't even get that upset at the mistakes any more - figuring I won't do it again next time. Thats my story, and I'm stickin to it. :rolleyes:

Forrest Price
07-12-2006, 8:24 PM
You could also lay a scrap over the top with a tiny pilot hole where the center needs to be (drill up from underneath) then bore thru the scrap and the table. The scrap keeps the bit centered.

Ken Deckelman
07-13-2006, 7:04 AM
Would a router and a roundover bit take care of the marks around the hole?

CPeter James
07-13-2006, 8:52 AM
Can you make a collar to fit around the shaft and cover the hole? Add a fancy edge to trim it up.

CPeter

Kyle Kraft
07-13-2006, 8:54 AM
Right on Forrest! I use the scrap wood drill bushing trick all the time. It is also useful for enlarging holes and maintaining concentricity and surface finish. Simply drill or use a hole saw in the scrap piece, locate the hole in the scrap over where you want your new hole, clamp securely and drill away!!!!!!