PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Lori Kleinberg
07-12-2006, 8:14 PM
Does anyone belong to a woodworking club? Is it a worthwhile investment of your time?
Thanks for info

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-12-2006, 8:18 PM
If you are a folksy find of person and want to have a physical connection with people you may like it.

I'd be willing to bet that there's some good avcice and even a fair shot at some mentoring. It all depends on the demographics of the membership.

There is a club I hsave been thinking of joining that has a huge library. For that alone it may be worth the dues.

Jim Becker
07-12-2006, 8:41 PM
Clubs or Guilds can be a wonderful way to meet others with the same interests, see talks and demonstrations that are very useful and interesting and a great way to always have a mentor available as you try to increase your capabilities and work complexity. Personally, I'm a member of the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) and the local chapter of the same. I am not in a "flat work" organization as I don't know of one in my area.

Roger Myers
07-12-2006, 9:08 PM
I have a very strong bias as I'm very involved in the Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers.... but they are certainly a huge benefit in my opinion...
Check out our website for an idea of the activities, and be sure to look at some of the newsletters (warning big files to download)...
Members get lots of advice..friendships, workshops, often discounts and library offerings (we video almost all meetings)...the list goes on and on...then do a google search for others and you will see that almost all offer some great benefits...we have special interst groups (including AAW chapter, period furniture group, beginner group, etc.)....
Can you tell I have a strong bias :)
check out www.gnhw.org
we are not in your area, but representative of what you may find...

Roger

Mark Rios
07-12-2006, 9:28 PM
I just joined a local woodworking club, see this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39459 , and I found it to be enjoyable, for the first meeting anyway. That meeting had a main program speaker topic on turning miniature stuff. While I was a little lost (and drowsy) for some of the lecture, since I don't turn, it was interesting and impressive. They seem to do quite a bit for/in the community and had two different sign-up sheets for two local projects. As mentioned in the thread, there is a 3 day router class that is being put on by the club router guru. When I asked about it, I was invited to go to it even though I hadn't signed up by the deadline. I expect this to be a very valuable experience for me.

So, is it a worthwhile expenditure of your time? Well, it seems to be, for me anyway. I'm sure that they have provisions for guests to go and "test the waters ("to use a Creeker phrase" :D ) and see if they like it without having to go through the rigorous sign-up procedure and the excruciating hazing initiation. :D :D :D

I found everyone to be very welcoming and cordial. I would encourage you to go and see for yourself.

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Lori --
Yes, and yes.

Matt Meiser
07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm a member of a local club and enjoy it. I've learned a lot from the monthly topics, and even been the presenter twice myself. I've also met a lot of very skilled woodworkers who are great people. Our club is very informal. We only have one officer, the president and no dues. I've heard that some clubs are very formal which I don't think I'd like as much--I go to too many meetings at work as it is.

glenn bradley
07-13-2006, 12:45 AM
I have not found one in my area but, my dad enjoys his very much. Guest speakers from manufacturers, members selling their old WW mags on the cheap, sharing of plans, appraoches and techniques.

Doyle Alley
07-13-2006, 9:30 AM
I belong to a local club:

http://www.floridawoodworkers.com

It isn't a really fancy organization, but it gives me a chance to meet others who have skills far greater than mine.

Julio Navarro
07-13-2006, 9:50 AM
Doyle: Thanks for the info, I will look into joining, I am up in Tampa, Oldsmar area.