PDA

View Full Version : Laminated bowl

Lee DeRaud
07-12-2006, 7:24 PM
Taking a break from trying to domesticate the HollowMaster...:p

Found a bunch of thin scraps sitting on top of a how-to article by Jim McPhail, took it as a sign. :cool:

Goncalo alves, bloodwood, spalted maple, and shedua, 3-3/4"x1-3/4".

Don Baer
07-12-2006, 7:26 PM
Very nice Lee. I Like it.

Ernie Nyvall
07-12-2006, 7:41 PM
Beautifully done Lee.

Ernie

Frank Chaffee
07-12-2006, 7:43 PM
Lee,
Nice form. I also really like the placement of the lighter and darker laminations along the bowls undulations.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2006, 7:55 PM
Lee that is awful cool. Nice job. I like it.

Andy Hoyt
07-12-2006, 9:01 PM
I see London, I see France, I see tear out that musta made you dance:D

Sorry, just back from a laquering binge, urrrrp:p, okay all better.

Nice one, Lee. But didn't until I clicked the thumbnails.

Seriously, what is that? Left pic left edge.

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 1:16 AM
I see London, I see France, I see tear out that musta made you dance:D

Sorry, just back from a laquering binge, urrrrp:p, okay all better.

Nice one, Lee. But didn't until I clicked the thumbnails.

Seriously, what is that? Left pic left edge.I think I see what you're looking at...it's a reflection, probably the edge of the table. Finish is CA, wet-sanded to 600, then buffed...seriously shiny.

Barry Stratton
07-13-2006, 1:28 AM
Nice job Lee, I like that layered look. Did you notice the different woods had different "hardenesses"????

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 1:32 AM
Nice job Lee, I like that layered look. Did you notice the different woods had different "hardenesses"????Ooooh yeah, especially where the spalted maple borders the bloodwood. Lots of fun, that. :eek:

Corey Hallagan
07-13-2006, 1:35 AM
Nice job Lee. Beautiful bowl. Finish is very nice!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 3:55 AM
Very cool, Lee. Nice form and finish. I can just picture one of my striped cutting boards with a matching bowl.

- Vaughn

Tom Sherman
07-13-2006, 5:55 AM
Very cool Lee, the more I see these laminated thingys the more I like em. Might have to try some. One of the guys in our turning club wrote an aid to help calculate segments and angles, very interesting and I have played around with a few numbers but so far have not glued anything up.

Karl Laustrup
07-13-2006, 6:43 AM
Lee, I like that look. The differences in the woods really looks sharp. :cool: Of course it needs to be a wee bit bigger. That's only a one scooper. Need at least a three scooper. :D

I've been wondering why we don't see more of this type of turning or doesn't anyone have any scraps? :confused: ;) :D

Karl

Keith Burns
07-13-2006, 8:01 AM
Another great one Lee !! Nice form and placement of the laminations:) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-13-2006, 8:23 AM
Beautiful bowl Lee! I looked at the bowl and it looked like reflection on the left side to me. Andy needs to clean the spittle off his glasses! I can't tell from the photos...maybe I need to clean my glasses too......does your interior undulate and follow the outside form or is it straight? Very nice bowl!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Lee, that's a lovely piece. The form you've worked in matches beautifully with those layers. How long and difficult was the glue-up?

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Lee, that's a lovely piece. The form you've worked in matches beautifully with those layers. How long and difficult was the glue-up?Thanks. Glue-up was only maybe 30 minutes total, but the stock was already prepped: I usually spend a whole day every couple of weeks resawing and sanding.

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Beautiful bowl Lee! I looked at the bowl and it looked like reflection on the left side to me. Andy needs to clean the spittle off his glasses! I can't tell from the photos...maybe I need to clean my glasses too......does your interior undulate and follow the outside form or is it straight? Very nice bowl!Interior roughly follows the exterior: sides are relatively constant thickness (a bit over 1/8"), but I left the bottom thicker because I wanted the bloodwood there.

Von Bickley
07-13-2006, 9:35 PM
Great looking bowl Lee.

John Miliunas
07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Karl and I were just talking about that piece earlier today. Besides being a great looking piece, we both agreed that you have a real knack for making wonderful use of material which otherwise might get cast aside and creating a beatiful piece out of it. Impressive, sir!!! :) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Karl and I were just talking about that piece earlier today. Besides being a great looking piece, we both agreed that you have a real knack for making wonderful use of material which otherwise might get cast aside and creating a beatiful piece out of it. Impressive, sir!!! :) :cool:Heh. I end up with tons of 3"-4" square pieces of thin stock from fooling around with the laser...until I go broke buying thick CA glue, the motto is "no scrap too small".:cool:

Thanks for the kind words.:D