PDA

View Full Version : Would this make a good Vacuum pump for turning

Brian McInturff
07-12-2006, 6:19 PM
So what do you think. It's made by Thomas and could double to run a Grex sander after turning. Would it hold?

<TABLE cellSpacing=10 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=PresentationHd colSpan=2>Light Duty Oilless Air Compressor/Vacuum Pump </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="19%" rowSpan=2>http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/small/9991kp1s.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:chgimg(5);)</TD><TD vAlign=top width="81%">Get a portable low-flow compressor and vacuum pump in one unit. Great for operating small air tools, inflating tires, and draining liquid from small tanks. Unit has an oilless design, which means it dispenses air that's 100% oil free for clean operation and low maintenance. It also has a one-stage wobble piston design and is rated for continuous operation. Powered by a direct-drive single-phase motor with thermal overload protection. Includes a 15-ft. rubber air hose, tire chuck, filter, and 6-ft. cord with three-prong plug. Outlet is 1/4" NPT male. UL listed and CSA certified.
Vacuum Accessory Kit— Includes a 3-gal. polyethylene collecting tank, overflow shutoff valve, two 6-ft. connecting tubes, and two pick-up tubes.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="81%"><TABLE borderColor=#eeeeee cellSpacing=0 cols=9 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Air Flow, </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom></TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom></TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><TABLE class=giBracket cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%" background=../catalog/112/gfx/small/bk_white.gif></TD><TD class=BracketCopy width=1><NOBR>Motor </NOBR></TD><TD align=right width="50%" background=../catalog/112/gfx/small/bk_white.gif></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TblHd colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>cfm @ </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Max. </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Max. </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom></TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Voltage </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Full Load </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Overall Size, </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Wt., </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>dB </TD><TD class=TblHd></TD></TR><TR><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Max. psi </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>psi </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Vacuum </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>hp </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>@ 60 Hz </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Amps </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Lg. x Wd. x Ht. </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>lbs. </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom>Rating </TD><TD class=TblHd vAlign=bottom align=right>Each </TD></TR><TR id=TR129 onmouseover=TrMouseOver(this); onmouseout=TrMouseOut(this);><TD class=ColBanner colSpan=10></TD></TR><TR id=TR130 onmouseover=TrMouseOver(this); onmouseout=TrMouseOut(this);><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>2.12</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>100</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>27" Hg</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>3/4</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>115 VAC</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>10.5</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>12 3/4" x 11 5/8" x 7 1/4"</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>22</TD><TD class=TblData vAlign=bottom>75</TD><TD class=neCol vAlign=bottom><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=TblData>9991K17 (http://javascript<b></b>:TargetLink('TR130','tr','PT1301','9991K17');) </TD><TD class=TblData align=right>$261.67 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Brad Schmid
07-12-2006, 6:31 PM
Brian,
If your talking about running a Grex random orbit sander, those take 8cfm @90psi. This pump unit only produces 2.12cfm @100psi according to the chart you posted. It wouldn't be capable. IMHO, it's expensive for just a vac pump when GAST pumps can be had for $80 or less.
cheers

Brian McInturff
07-12-2006, 7:08 PM
Guess I should've mentioned I can get one for 50.00. That's mainly why I'm asking. I didn't think to check the cfm on the Grex so thanks for pointing that out. Still wondering on the vacuum part though.
Brian

Brad Schmid
07-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Brian,

As a reference, here's the spec's on a Gast vacuum pump from Surplus Center website. If you can get all the specs for vacuum operation on the Thomas pump, you could compare them. The advertised 27" Hg is certainly fine. The Gast pump is proven in this application, and if the Thomas comes close on the vacuum specs, it should work ok. The 2.12cfm rating cited above is for the compressor side only I think.

Gast 1/4 HP Rotary Compressor Vacuum Pump
• New GAST 0523. Direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pump. Motor is thermally protected and will restart automatically after the coils cool.
SPECIFICATIONS
• HP 1/4
• Voltage 220 AC
• Amps 1.5
• RPM 1725
• 4.5 CFM at 0 PSI
• 3.6 CFM at 10 PSI cont.
• PSI 15 int.
• 0.5 CFM at 26" Hg max.
• Ports 1/4" NPT
• Duty continuous
• Thermal protection on motor
• Size 5 5/8" x 13 1/4" x 6"
• Shpg. 31 lbs.

The description "Light Duty Oilless Air Compressor/Vacuum Pump "... "Light duty" seems to raise a flag, but then again, I know nothing about this particular Thomas pump. I do know that Thomas makes good quality vacuum pumps and compressors, I just don't know if this is one of them. I looked in the Thomas product catalog, but it's nowhere to be found.

One thing for sure, you want the pump to have enough cfm on the vacuum side to keep up with any minor leakage (wood being porous and all), and it may (will) run for long periods of time, so durability is an issue. Not to mention, you want it to run long without tripping the thermal overload and shutting down, sending your turning into orbit;) The Gast pumps have a reputation for long life and continuous duty which is why they are so desireable in many applications.

Good luck in your search. If you end up getting it, let us know how it works out. $50 sounds pretty reasonable if it's as good as the Gast.

Charlie Plesums
07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
The vacuum chuck adapter on my lathe suggested using a vacuum cleaner. I couldn't believe it, so I hooked up my veneer bag vacuum pump, which worked fine. I also tried the shop vacuum on it, and it worked just as well.

Apparently there is enough leakage around the vacuum "bearing" and the seal on the face plate that the vacuum pump can't build much more vacuum than the shop vac, which can better handle the volume of leakage.

Brad Schmid
07-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Charlie brings up a good point. I have enough leakage in my system and all it's components (including the turned item) that I can typically only pull 21-23" Hg. But, the pump has enough cfm to keep up with the minor leakage and maintain this adequate vacuum.

For the record, the key to setting up a shop vac powered vac chuck system is using a vac with a bypass cooling fan like Fein, Festool, and other higher quality vacs. The standard Shop Vacs will burn up quick because they use the air sucked through the hose to cool the motor.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Brad..........My wife bought me a Grex ROS for Father's Day. It says it take 2 cfm....not 8. Also at the Grex site it shows 2 cfm.

Brad Schmid
07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Brad..........My wife bought me a Grex ROS for Father's Day. It says it take 2 cfm....not 8. Also at the Grex site it shows 2 cfm.

Cool, that would be real nice if it uses that little air. I was looking at one on the Packard Woodworks site and they had it at 8cfm. I guess they got it wrong. Thanks for the followup and correction.

So how do you like it? I was impressed with the Grex stuff, especially the 23 Ga pinner at the show this year.

Cheers

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Brad..........as a matter of fact....I bought mine from Packard. I really like it! I got a chance to use it for the first time on the 2 NE bowls I posted recently. I thought I was doing a fairly good job sanding on the lathe. It was incredibly better sanding with the Grex ROS while turning it on the lathe. And much faster.

On a different note.........I wouldn't recommend that compresor/vacuum pump for use with the Grex ROS. The pump would have to run continuously. I have a HD 26 gallon vertical 5 HP (not) oiled compressor. If I let the tank fill up and the compressor shutoff....I can sand for a couple of minutes and then the compressor kicks in and stays running until I stop and then it catches up.

But the Grex ROS..........Works like a charm!

Brad Schmid
07-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Ken,
Sounds like a winner! My wish list just got longer *AGAIN*, but at least I can remove the Sioux sander and minimize the impact :D

Brian McInturff
07-13-2006, 1:37 PM
Here's some additional info I got from Thomas on the unit:

Model 1020 is capable of 100% duty under pressure or vacuum. It will not overheat if kept running for several hours at a time unless the environment you have it operating in is excessively hot to start with. If the ambient temperature of the area it will be operating in is between 50° F - 100° F you should not have a problem.

John J. Worth
Regional Business Manager
Air-Pac Sales

I think I'll go ahead and get it as the CFM on the compressor is 4.7 at 60psi and 2.7 at 90 psi
I won't be out much if it doesn't work. Plus the guy is going to give me a recovery tank for it to for use with liquids. Maybe stabilization of blanks possibly?

Brian