PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a cast iron glue pot?

Robert Rozaieski
07-12-2006, 3:30 PM
Hello all! I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post here. I tried searching old posts for this question but couldn't find anything so here goes. I just got one of the old double boiler type cast iorn glue pots and I'd like to put it to use. It has it's share of rust but I think it will clean up ok with a soft wire brush on the drill press.

First question - I was thinking of priming and painting it with an epoxy paint to prevent future rusting. Will this type of paint be affected by the heat? I guess I could use an appliance paint meant for high heat but that might be expensive. Will the paint affect the glue if I paint the inside of the inner pot? I know the originals were tinned but this really isn't an option. The paint would at least prevent future rust. What do you think?

Second question - to use this type of pot, does one just heat a little beyond the approximately 140°F for the hide glue since putting in the inner pot will cool the water some after it's removed from the heat source? I suppose I could use a hot plate to keep it warm when I'm working inside but if I decide to work outside at all I wouldn't have a heat source. How long will these types of pots hold their heat?

Thanks!

Bob

harry strasil
07-12-2006, 8:41 PM
I use one, and if you don't tin the inside, don't use the glue on light colored wood. Just take the whole pot outside and bring back in everyso often to re heat it. just make a box and line it with insulation to set it in for outide work and keep a lid on it.

harry strasil
07-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Cute little thing isn't it. I have a much larger one too, had a devil of a time tinning the inside it was so rusty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/gluepot.jpg

John Timberlake
07-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Harry, you show liquid hide glue. Do you use that in your pot or the standard stuff that comes in beads?

harry strasil
07-14-2006, 3:08 AM
that's what I use, heat it up a little and it does a quick bond.

Robert Rozaieski
07-14-2006, 8:33 AM
Harry,

How did you do the tinning? It is hard to do? I figured it would be something that would need to be sent out to have done professionaly and by the time it was paid for it would cost almost as much as a new electric pot. I didn't even think that the tinning was something one could do themselves.

harry strasil
07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Robert, its not the easiest thing I ever did, but luckily I have some of the knowledge and tools to be able to do it as I am a full time blacksmith.

I had to throroughly clean the inside of rust, using the small wire brushes that fit in an electric drill, and then used an acid solution to finish the job, then it was a matter of just using a plumbers torch carefully to little at a time tin the inside with solder and flux and work it in with a wire brush.

Cast Iron is a touchy material when exposed to high heat as it will crack and break. Origianally I am assuming the inside was prepared, then the whole inside pot was heated, fluxed and then filled with molten solder and then poured out, leaving the inside with a tin coating. It would have been quick and simple on a large scale.

I would look for an older retired plumber or blacksmith who has knowledge of using and working with solder and tin.