PDA

View Full Version : Performax Performance

Dennis McDonaugh
09-22-2003, 9:39 AM
What causes my performax to burn streaks into the wood I'm sanding? I've checked all the adjustments and they appear to be right according to the manual. I don't try to take off a lot with each pass and I still get burnt spots on the sandpaper which burns the wood.

Mike Evertsen
09-22-2003, 10:10 AM
I get burn streaks on my delta from clogged paper use a big eraser during sander,,,feed rate to fast or to slow depending on the wood,,,cherry I found burns easily,,,,sanding off too much,,,,not using a good dust collector it clogs the sand paper faster,,,,,,

Steven Wilson
09-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Too fast of a feed rate, too fine a grit, trying to take off too much stock, worn or dirty sandpaper; pick one or more of the above.

Steve Jenkins
09-22-2003, 4:35 PM
Dennis you may have to check your defination of not a lot. If you are using 80-100 grit and sanding hardwoods .007-.010 is a lot. That is 7-10 thousandths. I run my speed at about 35-40 on the 0-100 speed dial.Steve

Dennis McDonaugh
09-22-2003, 5:00 PM
Dennis you may have to check your defination of not a lot. If you are using 80-100 grit and sanding hardwoods .007-.010 is a lot. That is 7-10 thousandths. I run my speed at about 35-40 on the 0-100 speed dial.Steve

Okay Steve, maybe I am taking off a lot. I have a 150 grit paper on the roller and adjust it until the roller just touches the wood and make a pass, then I crank it 1/4 turn for additional passes. Is that too much?

Steve Jenkins
09-22-2003, 5:39 PM
I just checked mine and 1/4 turn is 22 thousandths. Using 150 paper I would probably not go more than 3-5 so we are looking at about 1/16th turn. It doesn't sound like much because it isn't. Steve

Steve Jenkins
09-22-2003, 5:42 PM
Do you think you might come up for our bbq the weekend of Oct. 24,25,26? I think that K.C. is going to try to make it. I need to post another notice this week. They sure dissappear quickly. Steve

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-22-2003, 8:20 PM
Do you think you might come up for our bbq the weekend of Oct. 24,25,26? I think that K.C. is going to try to make it. I need to post another notice this week. They sure dissappear quickly. Steve

Yep...I'm gonna try to get up there this time.

As to the Pmax problem, I've simply quit using anything finer than 100G on mine. I still sand everything anyway, and after ruining a box of $30 worth of belts, I got the message. :rolleyes:

Here's another thing I discovered the other day...I was sanding some strips down to about 1/16 (or less) to use as a border on a chess board. I have a sandpaper conveyor belt that I keep just tight enough so it doesn't slip. In other words, it's kinda loose. Sandpaper conveyor belt rubbing on drum isn't good for either the belt or the paper. In fact, it ruined the paper...and the be;t isn't 'grabbing' pieces like it used to either.

Joe Tonich
09-22-2003, 8:30 PM
Okay Steve, maybe I am taking off a lot. I have a 150 grit paper on the roller and adjust it until the roller just touches the wood and make a pass, then I crank it 1/4 turn for additional passes. Is that too much?

Dennis,

I only turn the crank 1/8th turn and run the piece thru twice. I keep the feed speed fairly fast till the final passes. So far I haven't burned anything I've put thru it.

Joe

Dennis McDonaugh
09-23-2003, 9:17 AM
I'd thought about switching to a coarser grit, but haven't bought any yet. Maybe I can stop by woodcraft after work. I'll definitely try taking off lighter passes.

I don't know if I can make it to Dallas. Can you post the particulars again?

Earl Reid
09-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Hi Dennis

I've had my 16-32 since they first came out. I use 100 grit paper. Sometimes it will burn when the paper get dull. I run everything thru the sander. I turn it down about1/8 turn at a time. I keep the paper clean and change it when problems start to develope. All wood is planed as needed and the final 1/16" is sanded down. If there is any tear out on the planer I will allow for that and sand more. I always use pencil marks on wood so I can see how it is doing and each pass I turn the board end for end. I set the speed as needed. Its a very good machine for my purpose. Good luck

Earl :)

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Dennis
Besides all the really great information that you received so far, I would like to add one more.
I found that I got a nasty burn mark because the paper had overlapped itself. So I spread out the paper just a skoch to leave a very small gap, thereby spreading the paper from end to end - to farthest ends of the clamps.
Shazam - I was able to sand out the burn marks.

Now that happened with 100 grit on the drum.
The paper must not have been seated properly when I changed over from 60 grit to 100 grit. It became loose as it got hot and the spring clamp wasn't doing it's job - so the paper overlapped.
Daniel

jerry cousins
09-23-2003, 2:19 PM
hi folks

i do pretty much the same as earl -- end for end - use pencil to monitor the sanding. depending on the stock, will also run the rubber stick cleaner over the drum after 6 or 7 passes.
1/4 turns seem to be way too much -- using a clock face i adjust the drum only 5-7 minutes depending on material.

jerry