PDA

View Full Version : Basswood?

Al Willits
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
I see locally I can get rough sawn basswood at about $1.25bf, kiln or air dried.
Thinking it might also make a good/cheap lumber to learn woodworking on?

Would basswood work well for things like flower pots and any other outside project?
Maybe shelving and such inside?

Thinking if its cheap and useable I'd pick some up, but not sure what to do with it???
tia

Al who REALLY wants to make sawdust with his new stuff...:D

William Lewis
07-12-2006, 1:00 PM
Basswood is used for carving. I would not use it for outside projects my self. But that does not mean you cannot use it I think you would be better off to use something else but that is just the carver in me talking, LOL. Good luck with what ever you use.

William Lewis

Brad Townsend
07-12-2006, 1:00 PM
I've used it to make drawers. It's stable, easy to work with, and as you have already pointed out, cheap. I don't know how well it would withstand the elements outside.

Quinn McCarthy
07-12-2006, 1:01 PM
Al

Basswood is an under used wood. It makes good drawer sides. It can be a little fuzzy at times. It machines easy and planes nice. There isn't a lot of defect. There is a good write up on basswood on last month's fine woodworking.

FYI

Quinn

Jim Becker
07-12-2006, 2:32 PM
I agree with Quinn...basswood has many uses beyond carving. I recently saw a wonderful bench (interior) made of the species.

Al Willits
07-12-2006, 5:16 PM
Thanks, sounds like it does have its uses and I'll probably go take a look and pick up enough for a odd project or two.
Nice thing about being new and not having much wood, is any wood seems to be an improvement...:)

Al who's got the urge to tung oil something....

Brian Clevenger
07-12-2006, 8:16 PM
Back in the late 80s we built custom cabinets in new houses. We used basswood for all of the face frames that got paint. I see the trend has moved to poplar for this appication, but we never had a complaint about the basswood being too soft, or causing any finish problems. It was a cinch to mill, even with steel blades (before carbon really caught on). Work with it some, I think you'll like it.

Dan Forman
07-13-2006, 4:01 AM
I see locally I can get rough sawn basswood at about $1.25bf, kiln or air dried.
Thinking it might also make a good/cheap lumber to learn woodworking on?

Would basswood work well for things like flower pots and any other outside project?
Maybe shelving and such inside?

Al---Here is a link you might find helpful. http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/basswood.htm

According to this, it would have low resistance to rot, so not such a good idea for planters and other outdoor items. Looks like it would be fine for lots of indoor stuff. The basswood that I have seen doesn't have much viusal grain or figure, so it's often painted. That's a real attractive price, great for learning.

Dan

David Rose
07-13-2006, 5:10 AM
If you use basswood for drawer sides, is the drawer riding on the sides? I've only handled the wood, but it looks like it might wear really fast on drawer sides unless you were using slides or other rails.

David, whose inquiring mind wants to know... :rolleyes:

Al

Basswood is an under used wood. It makes good drawer sides. It can be a little fuzzy at times. It machines easy and planes nice. There isn't a lot of defect. There is a good write up on basswood on last month's fine woodworking.

FYI

Quinn

Al Willits
07-13-2006, 9:29 AM
Thanks guys, I emailed the guy who has it and will see if he has any left, sounds like useable wood and the wife likes the lighter plain woods, so maybe a nick nack shelf or two..:)

Figuring for that price, if I cut it to short its a learning exprience, not a financial disaster.

Al who's been know to measure twice, and still cut it to short...