PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Windows XP Pro.

Chris Rosenberger
07-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Has anyone had problems with their computers that have Windows XP Pro installed on them, since windows started the Windows Genuine Advantage Program?

Tim Burke
07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I have one with XP Pro, 2 with regular XP. I keep all 3 of them updated with any updates that Microsoft issues. No problems.

What kind of issue are you having?

Tim

Steve Clardy
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Yes come to think of it.
All three of mine are now running pro xp

My house computer, which I bought used 3-4 years ago, came with no discs, has been telling me for a month that my software is pirated, blah, blah, etc. Its not genuine.
So-------
I either have to spend money to get a key for it, or ignore it.

It also tells me that it is not going to update anymore.
Confused there, because it is still updating.
Now I did find a place on windows site that has instructions to manually remove this genuine software catcher.
But. I would have to stop auto updates so it won't update the genuine software catcher again.
So I haven't decided what to do yet.

Jim Becker
07-12-2006, 2:35 PM
Known problem...and you can't remove the "Genuine Advantage", umm...software...once it's installed. Further, it's been equated to serious spyware, too. All the Windows pundants have been railing about this for awhile now.

Steve Clardy
07-12-2006, 2:49 PM
Known problem...and you can't remove the "Genuine Advantage", umm...software...once it's installed. Further, it's been equated to serious spyware, too. All the Windows pundants have been railing about this for awhile now.

Looking through here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914/en-us

the pilot version can be uninstalled, but not the full version[which I didn't catch that]
I''l have to see which version is on the house computer

Bob Childress
07-12-2006, 4:45 PM
I have 2 running XP Pro and 1 running XP. All have WGA update and no problems yet but now I'm getting worried. Maybe if I sent Mr Gates an e-mail he would personally reassure me??:rolleyes: (Oops, forgot he's now an almost full-time charity wonk. Who is the new guy? Ballmer?)

If the government had Microsoft's tentacles, no terrorist would ever stand a chance. But then, neither would the rest of us.:)

Al Willits
07-12-2006, 5:29 PM
Was lucky enough to not download that part of the MS updates, neighbor did and he ended up reformatting his hard drive and doing the OS install over, minus the genuine stuff.

I gotta believe one of the comp forums has a cure for it by now, they are usually a half step ahead of MS anyway.

Good luck.

Al

Robert Mickley
07-12-2006, 9:49 PM
I have a litle file 32 k that I got from a cnet article that will remove the wga stuff

I have had no trouble with it but still it is use at your own risk.

Steve Clardy
07-13-2006, 9:38 AM
Thanks Robert. I gotta get with the guy [Software teacher] I bought this system from and see what he says.
I saved the file.

Rick Gibson
07-15-2006, 9:59 PM
I installed the genuine advantage, coming from microfarce it has to be ok "right" "WRONG AGAIN" I had zone alarm installed and it notified my that genuine advantage was trying to call home. I clicked don't allow and remember this and no more problem. It can try and call home all it wants but the firewall blocks it.

Steve Hayes
07-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Maybe a util called XP antispy will help.

Steve Clardy
08-09-2006, 8:21 PM
I have a litle file 32 k that I got from a cnet article that will remove the wga stuff

I have had no trouble with it but still it is use at your own risk.

Thanks Robert. That works!!;) ;) ;) :D

Robert Mickley
08-10-2006, 9:23 AM
No problem Steve. anything I can do to help

Jim O'Dell
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for this thread. I've been doing reasearch to upgreade TLOML's work computer (home business) and I'm going to purchase XP for it. I'll lock this tidbit away in my mind so I won't load anything with advantage. No, better write it down, I've had my own personal blue pages lately!:D Jim.

Steve Clardy
08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I.m on the computer now that had the WGA problem.
Working fine so far.
I changed my auto update settings.
It lets me know when updates are available, then I can see what it is, then choose to update or not.
Now if I can just remember not to let the WGA load again---------

Robert Mickley
08-10-2006, 6:49 PM
Well this is the reason I keep slowly but steadily moving towards Ubuntu, one of the many distros of linux. By far this has been the most painless and easy to install

http://www.ubuntu.com/

And since vmware is comng out with freebies you can run a virtual terminal for windos for the programs you cna't live with out

http://www.vmware.com/products (http://www.vmware.com/products/)

Allen Bookout
08-12-2006, 1:23 AM
Is Ubuntu run by the PLF? I saw this statement on the PLF website and do not really know the significance.

"The PLF Ubuntu project is shutting down, due to lack of time of its maintainers. New volonteers are welcome."

It may only mean that the PLF will not longer support that distribution with the PLF RPMs or it may mean that this distro will go down the tubes. The PLF RPMs are essential.

I was just wondering because I was thinking about trying it to compare to Mandriva.

Allen

Robert Mickley
08-12-2006, 6:13 AM
Ubuntu is seperate from the PLF. Actually the PLF just collects and maintains distros and collections of software, in a sense