PDA

View Full Version : where is Roy Underhill?

Frank Fusco
07-12-2006, 9:52 AM
Roy Underhill vanished from our PBS station years ago. I always enjoyed his shows. Even if one is not a dedicated Neanderthal, his techniques could often be used in a modern shop and he had great project ideas. Plus he was fun to watch. Is his show still being aired in other parts of the country?

Carl Eyman
07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
I watch Roy every week if I can. I don't know how many of his shows are new and how many re-runs. There are plenty of the latter, but the new ones do not seem to be segregated into a bloc like NYW. Last Sunday he had Steve Latta on as a guest showing how to do inlay banding and decoration in the Federal style. Good show. I usually try to remember to take note of the copyright date to see if it is a new or old episode, but didn't this time. I think their website can be reached through www.pbs.org.

Frank Fusco
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for info. Unlikely our Arkansas PBS will reinstate the show, the exec. dir. has her own ideas of what should/should not be aired. Band-aids is right. Roy's show had to be the bloodiest on TV.

James Mittlefehldt
07-12-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a satelite and was watching him on the PBS afilliate in Seattle, but last week they hame guy on doing a whole show on using an electric lathe, so will have to watch for him when hopefully he will reappear, and soon.

He did a couple of shows in the current season on building a smallish work bench with built in storage underneath. We also get Boston on the same satelite but they don't carry him, unless it is on their secondary station they have, which I do not get.

Mark Patoka
07-12-2006, 1:47 PM
I haven't seen him on PBS in years either but he did make a guest appearance at our local Woodcraft a year or two ago.

Larry Rose
07-12-2006, 2:31 PM
Roy is alive and still bleeding and has new shows. At least they were this spring. We are now watching summer reruns. The shows are taped at WUNC public tv. By the way, did anyone see the special show that was out takes of some of the mistakes made over the years? It was hilarious! Blood, smashed fingers and sweat every where.

Ken Werner
07-12-2006, 2:36 PM
Roy was at the woodworking show in Saratoga Springs this past March. And he cut himself during the seminars there too. What a joy it was to see and meet him. What a presence he has.

Ken

Michael Fross
07-13-2006, 10:27 AM
I've not heard of Roy. What's the show called? I'll try to find it in my area....

Many thanks.

Michael

Jerry Olexa
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, I like his show too. Do not see him much in Chicago TV area any more. Not on Menus when I search

Frank Fusco
07-13-2006, 11:39 AM
I've not heard of Roy. What's the show called? I'll try to find it in my area....

Many thanks.

Michael

It is called The Woodwright's Shop. He used all 'old timey' a/k/a Neanderthal tools. In addition to being informative, he is very entertaining. I miss him from my PBS stations.

Ken Werner
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
"now Ken don't hit yer head on the pole"

Frank Fusco
07-13-2006, 1:24 PM
"now Ken don't hit yer head on the pole"

Neat. The way Roy is holding that tool, I think we are going to see blood soon.

John Timberlake
07-13-2006, 2:39 PM
I saw him at the chair making class at Williamsburg this past January. He was demoing the spring pole lathe. Sent me "plans" for it, although a bit sketchy.

I have not seen his show in years. We have two local PBS stations. One carries it at 4am on Saturday. The other does not carry it. The second one also never carried the Scott Phillips show when it was on. They seem to think that PBS means music, dancing, drama and cooking.

Larry Gelder
07-13-2006, 10:36 PM
St Roy's back on SC ETV this year.:D :

My St Roy Story
I went to an OT estate sale in NC last year that was managed by the MWTCA on behalf of the widow. They did a good job. Everyone got a fair deal and the widow didn't get ripped off.

SOP at these events is for guys to grab stuff, put in a pile (hoard), then checkout later. However, before checking out, they discard half the pile. One of MWTCA rules for this sale was that a tool wasn't yours until you paid for it. So, your pile was fair game. Was told that it can get real nasty at times over the piles, even come to blows.:mad:

As I was wandering about the sale putting tools in my bag, I noticed a real nice pile of tools. I circled the pile a few times, then decided I didn't want to start a fight cause my arm was super sore with tendonitis (would only been able to throw a right jab). Confess I had to think hard about it though.:cool:

A few minutes later, my wife pointed out St Roy in the crowd. I was excited to see him and wanted to meet him.:D

I headed in his direction and intercepted him ... at the pile of tools I had my eye on.:eek:

Told my wife I had a chance to meet and fight my hero in the same day.;)

Larry Rose
07-14-2006, 7:39 AM
If you watch long enough, you will see blood. I don't know how the guy still has ten fingers.

Stephen Fixx
07-14-2006, 8:51 AM
I had dinner with Roy at a small fund raiser for our local PBS station years ago. Roy was the guest speaker. He gave a hilarious speech and many times slamming Norm for his electric ways. Once or twice I could tell he was somewhat serious and had a true rivlary with Norm. Professionally Roy has the credentials, formerly the Master Housewright at Colonial Williamsburg. I always thought that the most unique thing about his show is that it's basically filmed live...uncut and unedited, which makes the pace lightning fast. Though I've alwyas had a passion for early American architecture and crafts I must credit Roy for alot of the reason I love Neander woodworking.

BTW, which of us doesn't feel lucky to still have all 10 fingers, or if you like to adz, all 10 toes?

Steve

Frank Fusco
07-14-2006, 9:59 AM
Good to hear he is as nice a guy as he appears on TV. No doubt, he truly deserves the title 'master'.

Bill White
07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
to attend one of Roy's in-person workshops at Highland Hardware in Atl. Real delight, and a very personable fellow. Wish I could find the shows here in Mississippi.
Bill

Dave Williams
07-15-2006, 1:05 AM
Hey if you want to get the Woodwright's Shop back on your PBS startions you have to get as many people as you can to contact your local PBS station and demand that it be put back on. Roy does i thing 13 new shows a season and they start in November i think. Check out his site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/ he als has five books out; The Woodwright's shop , The Woodwright's Companion , The Woodwright's Wookbook , The Woodwright's Eclectic Workshop , and The Woodwright's Apprentice all are aviable from Chapel Hill or amamzon. I recomend buy them they have great projects and histroy in them.

Frank Fusco
07-15-2006, 9:47 AM
Hey if you want to get the Woodwright's Shop back on your PBS startions you have to get as many people as you can to contact your local PBS station and demand that it be put back on. Roy does i thing 13 new shows a season and they start in November i thing. Check out his site: http://www.pbs.org/wws/

The Exec. Director of our PBS stations in Arkansas has her own ideas of what she believes we should watch. Petitioning would only result in more classical musical concerts or boring academic discussions to proved she is in charge.

Dave Williams
07-15-2006, 11:42 AM
well my sister did some work for PBS and they are supposed to do what the public wants, so she says if you can band together enough people they have to listen to you. if that doesn't work do what i do, find someone you know in another state or county that gets the show and ask them to record it for you. i just got 20 shows from my sister and have been watching them nonstop for the last few days.

Robert Weber
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
If you watch long enough, you will see blood. I don't know how the guy still has ten fingers.

Simple, because he's using hand tools. If he used t@ble s@ws, he'd have two bloody stumps by now, for sure.

Rob in Peoria

Julio Navarro
07-19-2006, 4:55 PM
I remember Roy's show fondly.

Would be nice to see him again.

Carl Eyman
07-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I jusy saw Roy this (Sat.7/22/06) morning with what I'm certain is a new show. (copyright 2005) He was making several wooden puzzles. He knicked his thumb with a chisel early on and it continued to bleed throughout the show. To me this confirmed that he tapes the show "live" , that is, what you see is continuous action from the start to finish withou retakes, etc.

I feel for those of you that can't get it in your area.

harry strasil
07-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I used to watch uncle Roy all the time till they replaced him with Norm. My first wife always wondered what would happen if he happened to walk up to one of my demos. Would he have to try everything or would he just look and ask questions.

When we went to Williamsburg, I asked Peter Ross how he liked working with Roy in the smithing segments, Pete got this look of amazement on his face and commented, "I don't have anything to compare it to!" LOL

Ken Werner
07-22-2006, 11:24 AM
You're right Carl, the show is taped in real time.

harry strasil
07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Carl, I see we have a birthday in common, woodworking, history and I used to have a ham license.