PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw pic's

Nick Clayton
07-12-2006, 9:02 AM
This is the band saw that I picked up last Thursday. As you can tell, it seems like the gentleman I purchased it from either hardly used it or took exceptional care of it. I finally put it together last night and made a couple quick test cuts with the 1/2" 3tpi timber-wolf blade that was on the saw when I purchased it in 4" fir. As I've said in earlier posts this is my first band saw so I don't know anything about them, but the cuts seemed ok, nothing to brag about; lots of mill marks that I think may be coming from poor blade set, but that could be removed with the planer.

I did replace the original belt with some link belt I had and I ordered Mark Duginske's band saw book which I am hoping will help me achieve much better results. Thanks to Tod, Allen, Scott, Charlie, Matt, Jeffrey and the rest of the creekers for their advice in my earlier posts when inquiring about my new purchase.

Cheers,
Nick

Scott Halverson
07-12-2006, 9:10 AM
Congratulations Nick!

That is a great looking saw. I lost out on the one I was looking at. I doubt it was as nice as yours. Hope you enjoy.

tod evans
07-12-2006, 9:14 AM
nick, my saw hasn`t been that clean and shiny since i plugged it in! that looks brand new, nice score! tod

Kyle Kraft
07-12-2006, 9:17 AM
I've got the same saw less the fancy fence. Works well for what I use it for, mostly just contour cuts. The book you mentioned is definitely helpful and I am planning a custom dust collection bootie for it. The little spout hookup fitting is p-poor to put it kindly. Enjoy!!

Tom Hamilton
07-12-2006, 9:22 AM
Nice find, congrats on a new toy! Mark's book is a good one and he also has a FWW video on band saw's that is a good supplement. Probably available at the FWW site.

Enjoy! Tom

Allen Bookout
07-12-2006, 9:27 AM
I thought that Mark's video was really great.

Looks like a brand new saw. Great buy!

Matt Guyrd
07-12-2006, 9:59 AM
Right on! That looks new, for sure. Similar to the condition of my BS, although my saw does not have a cabinet base, but a frame with legs and the motor sits atop the frame behind the saw...bigger foot-print. I might have to look around for a used cabinet and convert, if possible.

FWIW...you might find, over time, that the limitation of your saw will be the 6" height limitation. A 6" riser kit can be had for around $80 (Woodcraft). The kit includes a 105" blade, but likely not a great one. I've yet to purchase one, but it is on the grocery list. If you are going to buy new blades for your band saw, you might consider gettingthe riser kit beforehand so you don't waste hard-earned greenbacks on a quality blade only to add a riser kit later and not be able to use the good blade(s).

You can read about it on Amazon (although priceir than other places).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223N9/102-3997785-4820943?v=glance&n=228013

Have fun!
Matt

Steve Wargo
07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Excellent score. Congrats. The bandsaw book is a great source for new bandsaw owners.

Karl Laustrup
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Ditto what tod said up above. :cool: Fantastic score and I'm sure it will serve you well. :)

Karl

Curt Harms
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi Nick

Congratulations on the toyl:D . Here's my experience with Twolf blades. Just because it feels sharp and in good shape doesn't necessarily mean it is. I had a 1/2" 3tpi blade that felt in pretty good shape but wouldn't resaw worth beans, wandered and a rough cut. I replaced it with a fresh blade and it tracked better but still cut rougher than I liked. I tried this procedure-http://www.ebandsawblades.com/custom.aspx?id=4 and it seemed to cut smoother and took less tension than I had been using previously. I hope You find this useful.

Curt