PDA

View Full Version : New workbench

Mike Hill
07-12-2006, 8:58 AM
I just purchased and received a new Sjoberg Work Bench and will be putting it together today. What type of finish, if any, would you folks recommend for the bench? I have so many shop stands to build and projects planned, I felt I needed to buy a bench rather than build.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-12-2006, 9:31 AM
I have always been partial to spilled paints, varnish, and urethane. Something about the hodgepodge of accidental spills is ever so warm and homey.

Roy Wall
07-12-2006, 10:00 AM
mike,

I use the little 4' Sjoberg hobbyist bench....... I haven't put any finish on it.......it seems like it was sealed already.

Jim Becker
07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Roy's correct...most, if not all, of the Sjoberg benches are already sealed. Of course, I sanded that all off and put on BLO, which is my preferred renewable "finish" for a workbench.

Julio Navarro
07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I have always been partial to spilled paints, varnish, and urethane. Something about the hodgepodge of accidental spills is ever so warm and homey.

lol, how true!

Mike Hill
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Appreciate the replies and I know the bench will get wear and tear, but right now it looks like a piece of really nice furniture. I will leave the finish as is for now.

Jordan and I put it together this morning in about 1 1/2 hours, including the cabinet. It does seem to have a light varnish like finish. The workmanship was excellent on the bench and legs. The cabinet is cut well and went together easily, but a lot of press board and MDF.

Can't wait to use it!

Mike