PDA

View Full Version : Bob Vaughn's Video on Setting Jointer/Planer Knives

Tom Hamilton
07-12-2006, 6:43 AM
Fellow Creekers:

The folks at OWWM.com have posted Bob Vaughn's video about how to set jointer and planers knives on the Google Video site at: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-572604587960322121&hl=en.

Bob is a regular contributor to FWW and a maintains woodworking machine for a living.

I ran a copy on my laptop in the shop when I recently installed new knives in my 1950 Boice-Cranee 6" jointer. His tips and specific instructions made it easy.

Hope you all enjoy. Best regards, Tom

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-12-2006, 7:16 AM
Very cool, but how do I save a copy onto my laptop for my next knife set up? :confused:

Cheers!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-12-2006, 8:24 AM
Never mind, I figured it out, you click the "Download" button..... :p :o

Al Willits
07-12-2006, 9:17 AM
As a newbie, I gotta says thanks a ton, having just battled the assembly of both a new planer and jointer, this video makes setting the jointer blades much easier.

I have it downloaded and will put it on a CD to make sure it don't disappear.

Any more like this?

Al

John Gregory
07-12-2006, 1:11 PM
Great video. Is this a good deal for a dial indicator? Click here (http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1782)

Tom Hamilton
07-12-2006, 2:01 PM
Hi John: That's actually the one I bought a couple of years ago. Just used it for the first time in conjunction with the Vaughn video. This dial indicator was mentioned in a woodworking magazine article some time ago and this source was the "best buy."

I'm guessing it is adequate for our woodworking needs. NASA probably uses something a little more exact. :D

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, also with a Little Machine Shop dial indicator.

David Croteau
07-12-2006, 2:36 PM
Great video. Is this a good deal for a dial indicator? Click here (http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1782)

Maybe a good deal for those of you out West, but the cheapest shipping charges to the East Coast add up to nearly $12. Ouch.

John Gregory
07-12-2006, 3:38 PM
Maybe a good deal for those of you out West, but the cheapest shipping charges to the East Coast add up to nearly $12. Ouch.

They want $10 to ship to Utah

Al Willits
07-22-2006, 8:18 PM
Any way to get his video on to a CD or DVD?
Goggle says there's no way to do it, which usually means some 12 year old kid has figured out 3 or 4 ways it can be done....:)

Al who's a bit short on 12 year olds lately...:D

Tom Jones III
07-24-2006, 8:58 AM
On the right side of the screen underneath the title is a button labeled "Download" Once you have it on your computer you can use your CD/DVD burner software to make something you can watch on your TV.

Al Willits
07-24-2006, 9:25 AM
Thanks Tom, I have downloaded it to the computor, but can't get it to burn.
If it is suppose to work, then its probably my comp that's causing the trouble, I'm having major issues with it lately and reformatting is gonna happen as soon as I have time.

Once again, thanks
Al

Tim Clark
07-24-2006, 2:00 PM
Thanks Tom, I have downloaded it to the computor, but can't get it to burn.
If it is suppose to work, then its probably my comp that's causing the trouble, I'm having major issues with it lately and reformatting is gonna happen as soon as I have time.

Once again, thanks
Al

Don't forget, it's in .gvi format and it takes the google video player to run it unless your player already handles gvi. There's supposed to be a downloadable player there but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

Jeff Horton
07-24-2006, 5:44 PM
Talk about excellent timing! Hoping to start putting my planner together tonight. I was really wondering about how to set it back up correctly. I let the video download while I was away on a job and skipped through it to get the high points about what I am facing. Looks like a straight forward job to me.

Again, perfect timing!