PDA

View Full Version : watch your credit card...

David Rose
07-12-2006, 12:30 AM
for "WLI SHOPPERDISCOUNT". Unless you know something I don't, it is a total scam and will cost you $9 a month. At least, that is what they have been charging us. Supposedly, the company has something to do with online credit card purchases. At least that seems to be how they get your card number. Then they bill you from now on. Enter that in a search engine and just look at the hits. I don't know why the powers that be allow them to keep working. I guess there must be something legit about them in some way. In our case, we will have to fax in reams of paper to make an attempt at getting our previous charges reversed. Also, I've read that if you make an attempt to deal with them directly, the first thing they want is your credit card number to reverse the charges. Yeah, right. I get billed for something that I didn't order, and I'm going to give you my account number??? But some might not think about that, so I am mentioning it.

I don't know who we dealt with that let this leak. I've read that offenders were amazon, paypal, JC Whitney, and others. I haven't dealt with any of those around or just before this started, so I've no real guess.

Just thought this might help someone.

David, who has been blessed with MANY years of computing without this... until now..

Frank Hagan
07-12-2006, 1:02 AM
We check our card statements when they come, and we have had unauthorized charges. Just refuse them with the credit card company (in writing) and deduct that amount from your payment. Most of the time, the credit card company will then charge back the "vendor".

There sure are a lot of hits on it at Google! I did have a recurring charge on my company cell phone for "MobiTV", and when I called Cingular, and finally got in touch with a real person, they said it was to "watch TV on your cell phone". Which is funny because this last cell phone is the one that I went out of my way to get without any frills ("I want a cell phone that, listen carefully, RECEIVES PHONE CALLS and allows me to MAKE PHONE CALLS.") When they realized my cell phone COULDN'T display TV signals they removed the charges.

We did have our credit card stolen over the 4th holiday weekend. At a restaurant. I've never had a problem on-line, but I worry every time a waiter or waitress takes my card.

David Rose
07-12-2006, 1:11 AM
Frank, that is one reason why we only use cash when we eat out. The latest I've heard has been cell phone photos made of credit cards. ...and the government is trying to curtail our cash use... Next they will suggest this implanted chip with 666 in it. :eek:

David, who says you ain't paranoid if they really are out to get you. They are, aren't they? hehe

We check our card statements when they come, and we have had unauthorized charges. Just refuse them with the credit card company (in writing) and deduct that amount from your payment. Most of the time, the credit card company will then charge back the "vendor".

There sure are a lot of hits on it at Google! I did have a recurring charge on my company cell phone for "MobiTV", and when I called Cingular, and finally got in touch with a real person, they said it was to "watch TV on your cell phone". Which is funny because this last cell phone is the one that I went out of my way to get without any frills ("I want a cell phone that, listen carefully, RECEIVES PHONE CALLS and allows me to MAKE PHONE CALLS.") When they realized my cell phone COULDN'T display TV signals they removed the charges.

We did have our credit card stolen over the 4th holiday weekend. At a restaurant. I've never had a problem on-line, but I worry every time a waiter or waitress takes my card.

Dave Anderson NH
07-12-2006, 9:09 AM
David, a friend of mine who some say is a bit cynical as always had two related sayings.

1. Paranoia is nothing more than a heightened awareness of reality.

2. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

My personal addition has always been.

3. Of course I'm paranoid, but am I being paranoid enough?

Eddie Watkins
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
David,
I had the same thing happen for $9 last year. Timing corresponded to LOML using a credit card to purchase cruise tickets. When she called you are right, they wanted a ard number to reverse charges. She went the the card company and had them back them out. I'm not sure how they stay in business but their deal is to collect as many $9 bogus charges as possible. It is unethical at best, if not illegal.

Eddie

Jim Hinze
07-12-2006, 12:01 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!

My wife usually does the bills and we use debit cards for almost everything... so after reading this I went and looked at my online statements --

Not once, but twice

WLI*SHOPPERDISCOUNT and WLI*RESERVATIONREWARDS

They've been charging me $9/mo for 6 months. Here's the funny part, I didn't even have to yell to get ALL of the money refunded. Aparantly they are under a lot of pressure from state attyn. generals.

One got activated when I purchased a CD for my daughter from musicspacekids.com and the other when I bought some movie tickets from AMC's site....

Geeze, I feel stupid.... but now I have $108 for more tools :D

David Rose
07-12-2006, 3:59 PM
Jim, how did you go about getting it back? Did you call the company? They will likely want the credit card, which I don't intend to give them...

LOML just sent a couple of faxes to the CC co.

David

OH MY GOODNESS!!

My wife usually does the bills and we use debit cards for almost everything... so after reading this I went and looked at my online statements --

Not once, but twice

WLI*SHOPPERDISCOUNT and WLI*RESERVATIONREWARDS

They've been charging me $9/mo for 6 months. Here's the funny part, I didn't even have to yell to get ALL of the money refunded. Aparantly they are under a lot of pressure from state attyn. generals.

One got activated when I purchased a CD for my daughter from musicspacekids.com and the other when I bought some movie tickets from AMC's site....

Geeze, I feel stupid.... but now I have $108 for more tools :D

Jim Hinze
07-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Yes I did, I called the number on the bill and followed the process. There are a number of BLOG sites on the net detailing these folks' practices and all of them mention to follow their process and insist on a full refund... so I did.

Jim, how did you go about getting it back? Did you call the company? They will likely want the credit card, which I don't intend to give them...

LOML just sent a couple of faxes to the CC co.

David

David Rose
07-13-2006, 1:50 AM
I guess if they can bill my card, they already have the number. :eek: :mad:

David

Yes I did, I called the number on the bill and followed the process. There are a number of BLOG sites on the net detailing these folks' practices and all of them mention to follow their process and insist on a full refund... so I did.

Jim Hinze
07-13-2006, 3:36 AM
I guess if they can bill my card, they already have the number. :eek: :mad:

David

David, that's kinda what I figured.... I'll know for sure in a day or so when the credit posts...

John Shuk
07-13-2006, 4:39 PM
I'm not paranoid. Paranoid people THINK people are after them. I know it!

Chris Padilla
07-13-2006, 5:25 PM
Everytime I see a football team huddle, I wonder if they are talking about me. :confused:

;)

Matt Meiser
07-13-2006, 6:00 PM
Everytime I see a football team huddle, I wonder if they are talking about me. :confused:

;)

They are.

:D

David Rose
07-13-2006, 7:39 PM
Drat! You beat me.

D

They are.

:D

Chris Padilla
07-14-2006, 1:57 PM
Doh! :eek: I knew it!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

;) :D

Lee DeRaud
07-14-2006, 3:22 PM
Everytime I see a football team huddle, I wonder if they are talking about me. :confused: Ah, you must be a 'Niner fan. Dunno if it's you they're talking about in the huddle, but it sure could be...
'cause it dang sure ain't football. :eek:

Chris Padilla
07-14-2006, 5:01 PM
Ah, you must be a 'Niner fan. Dunno if it's you they're talking about in the huddle, but it sure could be...
'cause it dang sure ain't football. :eek:

Actually, I'm originally from Colorado so I'm a diehard Bronco fan...we take our football serious in Denver! :D