PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a face shield?

Jeff Moffett
07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Most turners recommend wearing a face shield, but I rarely see people wearing them. I'm curious to know how many of you do or do not wear one. Thanks!
:confused:

Don Baer
07-12-2006, 12:11 AM
You bet I do. The few times I didn't I got stuff in my eyes to remind me.

I just went out and bought 2 spares in case someone comes over and want to watch.

Jim Ketron
07-12-2006, 12:14 AM
I put sometimes It really depends on what I'm turning! on what eye/Face protection I wear
a pen I do not !
an out of balance bowl blank I do!

Mark Rios
07-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Never, but then again, I don't turn.:D :D :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2006, 12:24 AM
I put always but the only time I don't is when doing pens.

Corey Hallagan
07-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Jeff I started turning in January. I do not wear one or own one. Up until now I have turned primarily pens but I am starting to turn boxes and I am thinking of picking 2 things up, 1 a shield and a respirator.

Mark, i didn't realize you didn't turn! Saving up for a a lathe? What are you wanting to get... mini, full sized.. turn it all pens, boxes, bowls etc.? Just curious.... or you just like hanging out with a motley bunch of no good for nothing spin jockeys :)

Corey

Mark Rios
07-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Jeff I started turning in January. I do not wear one or own one. Up until now I have turned primarily pens but I am starting to turn boxes and I am thinking of picking 2 things up, 1 a shield and a respirator.

Mark, i didn't realize you didn't turn! Saving up for a a lathe? What are you wanting to get... mini, full sized.. turn it all pens, boxes, bowls etc.? Just curious.... or you just like hanging out with a motley bunch of no good for nothing spin jockeys :)

Corey

No, I don't turn. I just try to learn more about WWing and become a more rounded person........well.......learn more anyway.:D

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Jeff,

Like Jim K., I too wear one faithfully when turing a bowl blank, platter, or box. I never wore one while turning pens. However, I have been hit by at least 3 flying pieces of bowl or platter pieces when a chunk breaks off unexpectedly. All 3 times, it's been to the faceshield. So, YES...I wear one when turning and I won't let my 11 year old son, Joseph, turn without one, period. :D

Stephen Hibbs
07-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I do whenever turning anything larger than a pen. First time I tried to go with just glasses I got a little piece of something in my eye; hopped right over. Nothing got stuck, but it sure felt like something was in there for a while. Then I tried it again not long after because I forgot, and the same exact thing! Maybe it's me or my glasses, but I'm keeping that shield on.

Tom Sherman
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
I have never worn one while turning pens, but bowls or boxes are another story. I have not had one launch off yet, but would rather have it hit a face shield than my ugly mug.

Gary Max
07-12-2006, 3:29 AM
Made it a habit---heck sometimes I forget that it's even there.
Now I keep a extra one at the other end of the shop--just in case I want one there---hey I am lazy and may not want to walk very far to get one so there is always a shield close at hand.

Vaughn McMillan
07-12-2006, 3:43 AM
I answered "Always", but I tend to take mine off after I've roughed-out a pen or bottle stopper. So far, the two (count'em, two) bowls I've roughed out were done with a face shield, and any time I'm turning something cracked I'd be wearing one. My sister's husband got hit hard in the head from a chunk flying off a lathe in high school, and he'll have nothing to do with a lathe now. I always keep him in mind when I'm using the lathe. ;)

- Vaughn

Brian McInturff
07-12-2006, 6:31 AM
Have to say no. But I do wear safety glasses. Un air conditioned shop and high humidity to me is more dangerous since it would fog up and affect my vision. Need to invest in an Airshield which is what I told the wife last night. Never had anything launch off the lathe but being left handed my stance is a little different than most and hopefully itwould miss me anyway.
Brian(looking for an Airshield, got one for sale?)

tod evans
07-12-2006, 7:24 AM
never have, probably never will. but i make the kids wear one when they want to use the lathe...02 tod

Wayne Bitting
07-12-2006, 7:41 AM
I always wear a full face shield, even while just finish sanding things that are spinning. If the lathe is running the face shield is down. I work with microscopes all day and if anything ever happened to my vision I would be unemployed and have to career. I love turning wood, but I still gotta work for a living!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-12-2006, 7:51 AM
I said sometimes, as I where it when I'm working on bowls, roughing out etc, but when I get down to a finishing cut, I don't, as the faceshield I have is not very good optically, in other words, it is hard to see what I'm doing with a fine cut. I "ALWAYS" wear safety glasses, to the point that I often walk into the L shop or the house wearing them, and my wife, or one of my daughters give me "that" look...... :D

I have one outlet from my cyclone right above the lathe, so I don't wear a mask, or such.

The cyclone does a very good job, too good sometimes, the fine shavings go up, not down, I have to remember not to put stuff on the headstock, because, as soon as I let it go, it levitates up into the hose and it gone..... :o

I've got a couple of lids, and a scotchbrite pad, as well as a few pieces of sandpaper in the cyclone bin right now.....

Faceshield yes, when I'm doing messy roughing etc.

Have not had even one catch on the DVR.

Cheers!

Jeff Myers
07-12-2006, 8:41 AM
Either a face shield(for roughing and large work) or safety glasses that wrap around the side a bit for everything else,,,always wear a respirator
too when cutting but that comes off when sanding as the dust collector
does a great job getting all dust when sanding,,,but when roughing and cutting, dust gets pushed out past the collector with the curls/chips up to face. You wouldn't believe how much dust makes it to the respirator's
filters even with a dust collector in action,,,i'm constantly cleaning the filters of what would have gone into my lungs...it's ugly.

Lou Morrissette
07-12-2006, 8:48 AM
Having just purchased a Rikon, after finishing the bench, it's on my list of items I must buy. Having spent 40 years in a machine shop, eye protection is part of my DNA.

Lou

John Timberlake
07-12-2006, 9:00 AM
I almost always wear a face shield when turning bowls, especially in the beginning. You never know when a crack that you didn't see will cause a big chuck to come off. With spindle turning, I will only wear a face shield when roughing out large square (3" or greater). Less chance of pieces coming off with spindles. I always were safety glasses.

Dale Johnson
07-12-2006, 9:33 AM
Usually not when turning pens. Safety glasses, yes. My old job was nice enough to tell me to take all my personal protective gear when they declared me surplus equipment and that included two Racal brand positive air flow face shields with batteries, filters, and blower packs. Since I am too lazy to shave, that covers the respirator issue and the hard hat feature has saved the head a couple times on jam chucked boxes.

Frank Fusco
07-12-2006, 9:48 AM
I usually wear mine when first roughing, even with pens. When I get to the point where I can direct the shavings, I'll take it off. Mine has a long piece of plastic shower curtain taped to the bottom to keep shavings off my clothes. Looks pretty wild, but then, who is looking. Have to admit, it has protected me from a few 'fly-offs'.

Jim Becker
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I do wear a face shield most of the time now that I have the Trend setup that is comfortable to wear. Prior to that, I only wore it when it was truly indicated, such as for heavy roughing, etc.

And BTW, one should still wear the safety glasses under the full face shield...

Lee DeRaud
07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
There should probably be a poll option for "almost always". :p

Mark Cothren
07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I mostly wear a full face sheild... but when I don't, I wear safety glasses. The exception to this has been when I've gone to ww'ing gatherings/BBQs...:rolleyes: So when I got home from this last one I found safety glasses on sale at Fastenal and loaded up on some so that now I have "travelling protection".

I haven't been hit by anything, but I've seen Dennis' shield take a wooden bullet. So I'm a believer.

Mark Pruitt
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Face shields can be such a pain. I agree with the concept and do wear one when the appication is dangerous, but I question whether I am setting myself up for a different kind of accident by wearing one. While I don't have to worry about a sizeable piece of wood being thrown in my face, I also experience decreased visibility because of the face shield getting dirty and because of the fogged face shield surface created by exhalation. Maybe I just need a better face shield.

Ben Werner
07-12-2006, 10:55 AM
I always wear one when I'm actually turning... though sometimes once I start sanding I take it off, But put it on again when finishing to protect my face from droplets of finish... the mask has the spots to prove it, its actually getting a bit annoying by now. I second lee's proposition :D

Reed Gray
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
I wear one some times, but not very often. I do wear eye protection. Mostly the mask gets too foggy, and the powered ones are too heavy for more than an hour or so, and I can turn and sand for 6 or more hours a day. My dust collector and hood remove virtually all the dust when sanding (no dust on the glasses, and no presto logs in the nose at the end of the day) so I don't use the dust mask. I have developed the habbit of standing out of the line of fire, and to remove any loose bark before turning. I have a retired CPAP (snoring) machine that I am trying to figure out how to hook up to a mask. It would mount on the wall or ceiling, and the overall weight would be minimal, but I am drawing a blank on how to enclose the mask. It has a built in filter, which would be modified for the work shop.
robo hippy

Mike Jory
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Hello all; I've been visiting here for a while, but after seeing this post, I had to register and reply.
I was getting stock ready for a box. After rough turing, I was parting the piece and getting ready to cut the tenons and such. I simply forgot the piece was still between centers-with the tail stock. The piece flew apart and the large section smacked me right in the face - hard enough to put a nice big crack in the face plastic. (although it was a small cheap original that came with my lathe.)
My mistake: using the parting tool while the work was still between centers. The cut was pretty deep and the tool got caught and wedged between the pieces. This thing shook me for a while. Didn't go back for one day while I anylized the mistake.
I'm glad I had on the full face shield. For things like pens, I've been tempted to go without it from time to time, but then I thought everything on the front of my head is very important.
Now I have a new one. I still keep the old one, using for the chain saw, etc. and as a reminder.
I also use a resperator most all the time - even when cleaning up.

Thanks, I've looked at several forums and I liked this one from the start. You all seem to be very helpful to each other.
Mike

Don Baer
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Mike,
Welcome to SMC. Glad you decided to join in the fun. Remeber the first rule. WE LIKE PICTURES.

Rich Stewart
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I wear one always. I got one and it was a little hard to get used to but now i never turn anything without it. I have been hit in the face shield about 6 times now. Once whatever hit my face shield also contacted 2 other surfaces. Made a big noise. Startled me pretty good. Some velocity. I was having problems with dust building up and fogging also so i got a dryer sheet (Bounce) and rubbed it on the inside and out and I haven't had any problems since. Now I put it on and forget it is there. Been known to walk in the house with it on. Startle my wife.

Dario Octaviano
07-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Depends on what I am turning and what I am doing.

I wear glasses and it is mostly sufficient when turning pens so I don't wear faceshield.

When turning bigger pieces like bowls....I always do.

Ernie Nyvall
07-12-2006, 4:43 PM
Pretty much always since I got a Trend airshield... even with pens because of the sanding dust. I now come out of the shop with a clear nose.:D The sometimes I don't is when I am turning at about 10 rpms and sanding some oil finish on.

Ernie

Brad Schmid
07-12-2006, 4:50 PM
I wear AS400 always. It's hot in my un-airconditioned shop and I wear it as much for cooling as protection.

Bill Grumbine
07-12-2006, 4:58 PM
I voted sometimes, but that is only because I do not wear it when I am teaching or demonstrating and I have to talk. Even then, I will often wear it and shout through it or take it off to make a point verbally. I have had my face saved enough times by my face shield that I am very uncomfortable with it off my head when wood is spinning on the lathe.

A cheap face shield is a whole lot better than expensive reconstructive dentistry or surgery, and a respirator is even better. Back in the old days woodworkers died of various cancers of the respiratory system at higher rates than the normal population. Don't ask me for a statistic on that, but I remember reading it in one of the magazines. I don't want to be in that group either.

Bill

Mark Pruitt
07-12-2006, 5:02 PM
I was having problems with dust building up and fogging also so i got a dryer sheet (Bounce) and rubbed it on the inside and out and I haven't had any problems since.
That's interesting. I wonder what it is about the Bounce sheet that makes the face shield resistant to fogging?

Don Baer
07-12-2006, 5:08 PM
That's interesting. I wonder what it is about the Bounce sheet that makes the face shield resistant to fogging?

I've sprayed fabric softnew on carpet to cut down on static electricity. I emagine that it's the same thing.

Joe Fisher
07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Always. Always always always.

A few weeks ago I was turning a bottle stopper from a 2" cube of ash on my Jet Mini. Apparently there was a check that I couldn't see from the outside, because a few minutes into turning a dagger-like chunk of ash rocketed off the lathe and hit me square between the eyes.

And bounced off my faceshield and across the shop.

So even the little stuff can be dangerous. Had I just been wearing safety glasses, I would have a very nasty forehead gash to show for it, at best. At worst, it would have glanced off the bridge of my nose and under the glasses.

-Joe

Joe Fisher
07-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I've sprayed fabric softnew on carpet to cut down on static electricity. I emagine that it's the same thing.
That's exactly it. Keeps your socks from sticking to your sweaters, and your dust from sticking to your faceshield ;)

-Joe

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
I voted never, and the only reason is because at current I don't own a full face shield. I will say, however, that I don't use safety glasses, I use safety goggles. These are the types of things you will often see in chemistry labs and other areas where various and sundry nasty liquids and/or solids may have a nasty tendency to spray/splash up towards the face. They fully enclose the area around the eyes, however offer no protection to forehead, mouth, jaw, etc.

Yes, they do tend to fog up, but when that happens I shut down the lathe and reach for my handy roll of paper towels (no shop should be without them, IMHO). This gives me a chance to not only clear the fog, but to wipe the perspiration from my face, as my shop is not environmentally controlled (it's an 8x12 "garden shed").

Will I eventually get a full face shield? I'm sure that's going to happen, however the question is will I go ahead and buy one sooner, or wait until I have the cash reserves to get an Airshield or similar. In any case, the safety goggles offer sufficient protection for the type of work I'm doing. YMMV, of course.

sascha gast
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Always, I use a hard hat with a faceshield attachment when roughing since I often turn the bark off those chunks of NIP, after that, I wear a regular face shield.

that and wearing my turners smock have kept me safe and clean.

Rich Stewart
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
My sister had sent me a couple turners magazines she found in a flea market in Washington. In one was a picture of a guy that got hit in the face when a bowl blank exploded. Looked like he got the short end of the stick in a bar room brawl. Two black eyes, fat lip, black and white photo but you could tell there was lots of coloration going on. He now wears a catchers mask. One of them old timey wire face catchers facemasks.

You know the difference between a bar room and an elephant fart?
A bar room is a bar room and an elephant fart is a BARROOM!

Oops, slipped out.

Get a mask Henry.

Jeff Moffett
07-13-2006, 2:50 PM
Well, the poll has over 100 votes and the results are clear: over 90% of you wear a face shield as least some of the time. When I originally posted the question, I was really expecting to see a higher percentage of "never" votes. I've only been turning for a year and a half, and during that time I've watched as many turners as possible. I've observed them at woodworking shows, symposiums, local club and Woodcraft demonstrations, neighbors' shops, videos, etc. I would estimate that only about 10% of the woodturners I have observed have worn a face shield, which is the exact opposite of the poll results! Bill Grumbine addressed this discrepancy in his post. Teachers and presenters generally don't wear face shields because it's too hard to talk to the audience. I guess I can buy that, but it almost gives the impression, to me anyway, that once you get good enough, you no longer need protection. (BTW, Bill does wear one in his video.)

Personally, I have been a "sometimes" guy, wearing a face shield for bats and bowls, but tossing it aside for pens and small stuff. Based on the responses, I'm considering a Trend Airshield and joining the "always" team, so this thread is gonna cost me (and possibly "save" me). ;)

Thanks for all the feedback!<O:p</O:p

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 5:28 PM
Will I eventually get a full face shield? I'm sure that's going to happen, however the question is will I go ahead and buy one sooner, or wait until I have the cash reserves to get an Airshield or similar...
You can get a no-frills face shield for less than $20. It really does provide more protection than just the goggles, and the price of admission is cheap. I bought my face shield for weed whacking (got tired of getting hit in the face with BB-sized rocks and picking dirt and vegetable matter out of my mouth), but if I didn't already have it when I got my lathe, I would have picked one up at the same time I bought my first chisels.

- Vaughn

Dale Thompson
07-13-2006, 8:40 PM
Hey Folks,
As with a lot of folks here, I'm a "tweener" also. ;) On the other hand, I NEVER turn on the grinder without FULL face protection. :eek: Those things are scary and I'm SOOOOO pretty! :cool: :cool: :)

Dale T.

Richard Jones
07-13-2006, 9:04 PM
What Ernie Nyvall said..................exactly...........

Rich

Andy Hoyt
07-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I have always been a proponent of wearing full protection.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-15-2006, 8:32 PM
Always!!:eek:

Dale Thompson
07-15-2006, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=Andy Hoyt]I have always been a proponent of wearing full protection.

Andy,
A 1/4" coating of sugar-maple, strawberry-chocolate swirl covering your entire face as a result of a brutal attack on a two-quart sugar cone does NOT qualify as "full face protection"! :eek: :eek: :cool:

Just thought that you would like to know, bud! :) :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
07-15-2006, 10:45 PM
[quote=Andy Hoyt]I have always been a proponent of wearing full protection.

Andy,
A 1/4" coating of sugar-maple, strawberry-chocolate swirl covering your entire face as a result of a brutal attack on a two-quart sugar cone does NOT qualify as "full face protection"! :eek: :eek: :cool:

Just thought that you would like to know, bud! :) :)

Dale T.

But that goop you decribed solidifies quite nicely with a dollop of Schlmaca sap. The sap can only be harvested during a full moon on February 29th, so it's kinda pricey.

Glenn Clabo
07-16-2006, 8:00 AM
How'd you get a custom suit that fit so tight to your body???:eek:

Bob Noles
07-16-2006, 9:10 AM
I voted ALWAYS as my shield has a built in respirator. Even with turning pens, I don't like to take chances with the toxins of wood dust nor the outside chance of blowing a blank and picking splinters out of my eyeballs. I know that I am overly protective when it comes to safety, but I see no need to invite trouble when it can easily be avoided by lessening risk taking.

Trevor Walsh
12-29-2010, 8:08 PM
I do when I'm at work teaching, because that's policy, and I think it's a good idea to set that example...

However at home I don't, I do a lot of small work, and while I've been hit in the chest with a little block of maple I've never had or seen anything that makes me feel the need to wear one. The only thing that comes close is watching the metal shop teacher bury a chuck key in a cinderblock wall, illustrating the point of NOT letting the chuck key in the chuck. Then again a face shield won't do much against a chuck key thrown at your face.

greg a bender
12-29-2010, 8:17 PM
Just started turning again.
I started using just the safety cage on my Jet. After getting a few pieces thrown at me (and launching a piece), I deceided that I needed a bit more protection for those small chunks.

Greg A

James Combs
12-29-2010, 8:28 PM
I wear it fro anything larger then a pen. Even with a pen I wear cover-up (almost goggles) style safety glasses over my regular glasses.

Bob Bergstrom
12-29-2010, 8:32 PM
Always when roughing out bowls. Sometimes when finished turning. Depends on how wood looks and how chips are flying.

Charlie Reals
12-29-2010, 8:38 PM
I always avoided shields and eye protection until I had double cataract surgery six months ago. After getting my sight back i wear them. Sight is too precious to lose to a hobby.

Carol Kinney
12-29-2010, 8:45 PM
Always a face shield. When I first started turning I used safety glasses and hated them - tried at least 5 to 8 different pairs. Then someone suggested a face shield - I thought it would be uncomfortable, hot, hair would get messed up, etc. I couldn't believe it when I put it on - so nice and cool :) not cool looking and yes it does mess up my hair but better that then my face.

George Guadiane
12-29-2010, 9:20 PM
If one is LUCKY while not wearing their face/eye protection, they get away with a minor injury and a serious reminder that wood is hard we are soft and that some broken things don't repair.
I got lucky when I had my catastrophe. Just a cut between the eyes. I was wearing street glasses making that "final pass." I was lucky and my eyeglass lens stopped the piece that was heading straight for my eyeball.

Been extremely faithful to my face shield since then. ALL outside work, even on small stuff, face shield. Hollowing pieces with holes, face shield (and a hat).
Sorry can last forever.

Sermon over.

Most turners recommend wearing a face shield, but I rarely see people wearing them. I'm curious to know how many of you do or do not wear one. Thanks!

Jeff Fagen
12-29-2010, 9:42 PM
I always do except last week I was sanding glue finish on a pen and didn't think I'd need it although later I discovered I'd gotten some wet CA glue in one eye and it turned it very bloody.Learned a lesson!

Nate Davey
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I put never, but my Trend Airshield Pro will be here in the next day or so :D

Ken Glass
12-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Don my trend Pro every time except turning finials....

Rick Markham
12-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm new at this but it is one of the first things I bought, and I ALWAYS wear it. If anything weird or completely unusual that you hear about happening...I'm the guy it happens to, it runs in the family. Plus I am Ugly enough as it is!

Mike Peace
12-29-2010, 11:51 PM
My face shield holder is a constant reminder of a near miss when returning an oak bowl which exploded. That said, sometimes I wear safety glasses when doing small spindle stuff like ornaments.

John Coloccia
12-30-2010, 12:24 AM
All the time. If stuff isn't occasionally blowing up in your face, you're probably not pushing yourself to your potential. Just my opinion.

Don Nicholas
12-30-2010, 12:43 AM
I always use a full face shield when roughing down pen blanks. and switch to safety glasses when doing finishing cuts.
When turning Toxic woods esp. Cocobolo, I use a Triton air hood.
November 1 2010 I had surgery for a catarac on the left eye and am very carefull not to get anything on/in my eye. Right eye surgery yet to go soon.

Mark Eisen
12-30-2010, 2:54 AM
I always use safety glasses and dust mask when turning pens and use Trend air pro when turning bigger stuff.

Brian Ashton
12-30-2010, 3:53 AM

You'll rarely see me not wearing one. I've been turing since I was 12 (I'm 46 now). In my younger days I was "quick" enough to dodge the projectiles and suffered no harm, had a few bounce off my forehead and so forth... But an experience told to me by a good friend in canada changed my mind about face shields in my mid 30s. To make a long story short he is now blind in one eye simply because he wasn't wearing a shield. I wear thick glasses and have always said they're bullet proof so there is no need to worry... The part I didn't factor in is the lens being dislodged from the frames... My friend would still have an eye if it weren't for the fact that the lens was dislodged from the frames and driven into and destroying his eye from the impact of a bowl that came apart. The piece was that big that it would have given him a heck of a knock on the head but wasn't capable of destroying his eye as it actually hit his eye brow and cheek bone, it was the glasses lens that did the damage.

And! It's much nicer when the shavings are not hitting me directly in the face... For me now I hate turning without a shield.

roy knapp
12-30-2010, 6:05 AM
i always wear a face shield.

Carol Kinney
12-30-2010, 9:07 AM
All the time. If stuff isn't occasionally blowing up in your face, you're probably not pushing yourself to your potential. Just my opinion.

I completely disagree with that comment, yes I know it's "Just my opinion" but just because you haven't had a mishap does not mean someone isn't pushing themselves to do the best they can. I try to follow the AAW safety steps and I think one of the major mistakes made is turning wood faster than it should be, or turning wood that has a crack with the potential of it flying off. Yes a few accidents happen because something wasn’t seen inside the wood. Accidents normally happen because someone wasn’t following basic safety – using wood they shouldn’t (rotted, lots of knots, wood isn’t right type to turn, lathe to fast etc). I’ve seen some items fly off the lathe because the piece wasn’t connected to the chuck properly – recess wasn’t deep enough. But if you look at the Teknatool chuck manual or whatever chuck you happen to use, if something would come off it most likely would just more or less fall to the ground. We actually did this in a class I took on turning – for the Teknatool jaws the max for any contracting turning is 1440rpm and for expanding its only 684rpm.

I’m not saying that everyone that’s had something fly off and hit them it was because they weren’t following either the AAW safety guide lines or manufacturers guide lines. Things happen but just like an accident in a car . . . if they were driving faster they could have avoided the whole accident . . . NOT. I think the better question would be "if you have stuff occasionally blowing up in your face" why is this happening? I wear a face shield for those times that I screw up, I'm going to make a mistake with my jaw connection or something. If I do then at least my face is protected.
This is JMO as I try to be safe but I also feel I’m pushing myself to my potential in my art. You shouldn’t have to have a scare to prove you’re a true turning artist . . . or do you? Turning isn’t a contact sport nor does one need to get hurt to prove they are living up to their potential, if it is then I think I need to find another form of art to express myself.

charlie knighton
12-30-2010, 9:22 AM
yes, i wear face sheild while turning and also using chain saw

John Coloccia
12-30-2010, 9:24 AM
I completely disagree with that comment, yes I know it's "Just my opinion" but just because you haven't had a mishap does not mean someone isn't pushing themselves to do the best they can. I try to follow the AAW safety steps and I think one of the major mistakes made is turning wood faster than it should be, or turning wood that has a crack with the potential of it flying off. Yes a few accidents happen because something wasn’t seen inside the wood. Accidents normally happen because someone wasn’t following basic safety – using wood they shouldn’t (rotted, lots of knots, wood isn’t right type to turn, lathe to fast etc). I’ve seen some items fly off the lathe because the piece wasn’t connected to the chuck properly – recess wasn’t deep enough. But if you look at the Teknatool chuck manual or whatever chuck you happen to use, if something would come off it most likely would just more or less fall to the ground. We actually did this in a class I took on turning – for the Teknatool jaws the max for any contracting turning is 1440rpm and for expanding its only 684rpm.

I’m not saying that everyone that’s had something fly off and hit them it was because they weren’t following either the AAW safety guide lines or manufacturers guide lines. Things happen but just like an accident in a car . . . if they were driving faster they could have avoided the whole accident . . . NOT. I think the better question would be "if you have stuff occasionally blowing up in your face" why is this happening? I wear a face shield for those times that I screw up, I'm going to make a mistake with my jaw connection or something. If I do then at least my face is protected.
This is JMO as I try to be safe but I also feel I’m pushing myself to my potential in my art. You shouldn’t have to have a scare to prove you’re a true turning artist . . . or do you? Turning isn’t a contact sport nor does one need to get hurt to prove they are living up to their potential, if it is then I think I need to find another form of art to express myself.

Relax, Carol. It was obviously tongue in cheek. Maybe I didn't use enough smileys. :D :D :D :D Seriously, people are much too quick to attack other people around here lately. That said, I don't know anyone who turns that hasn't had mishaps where a face shield wouldn't have been a good idea, just like I don't know anyone who carves who's never cut himself, and I don't know anyone who uses a router that hasn't had a chuck of wood occasionally blow out.

Michael Mills
12-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I always wear a face shield or safety glasses, normally a shield. For large work I have a heavy duty one (think ballistics rated) and for smaller work one of the $20 range face shields. For very small items I use bifocal safety glasses.
The eyes are not all that needs protecting, unless you don’t mind broken teeth or having a flat nose.

Jim Leslie
12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I was wearing a faceshield when a large piece came off and hit me directly in the face. Even with the shield, it was a shock. It would have put me in the hospital first, and the dentist second. Now I even wear safety glasses underneath. Belts and suspenders; I learned the easy way...

Ron Stadler
12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Well, I will have to say sometimes. I always wear one when roughing out my bowls, but I usually take it off after getting what I feel is good balance or trueness to form:eek:, guess I'm lazy and don't spend the time to keep my shield clean therefore I just take it off, but since I read this post I may just start wearing it more often.

Kirk Miller
12-30-2010, 1:35 PM
I am a firm believer in QUALITY eye protection, as well as ful Face protection (I don't need any more character). My father lost an eye due to improper eye protection while shooting in Cowboy Action Shoot. The Eye Dr told him that if he had Lexan eyewear on he would have just had blurred vision, and a head ache, both of which would have gone away. I do admit I said I wear a facemask all the time, but some times I just wear safety glasses mostly when I am putting the final touches on something. One of these days I will just bite the bullet and buy a nice Trend, or that style Mask/Breathing apperatis. Those seem to be the best way to go.

Ian James Webster
12-30-2010, 1:40 PM
Always - I love being able to see the world around me and am not prepared to risk loosing that even no matter how small the risk.

Tim McClelland
12-30-2010, 2:57 PM
When I first started turning I didn't even own one. Now I do and wear it most of the time

mike posey
12-30-2010, 8:59 PM
You bet I do.
Mike

Pete Wade
01-02-2011, 6:57 PM
I graduated from safety glasses and dust mask to the original Trend Airshield and now use a 3m Papr unit. I LOVE the 3m unit, very comfortable, total head/face protection, 8+hour battery life, and nothing obstructing my view. Normally the price is $1000.00 plus, but if you look on Ebay they are listed all the time. I got mine for $300.00, and it's worth every penny!!!

Clint Baxter
01-02-2011, 7:28 PM
I haven't been wearing one of recent, due to not being able to find one that fit, (big melon :D) After seeing this thread, however, I went out and made a concerted search to find one that fit and have been wearing it since. Thanks for reminding me of how important that face shield can be.

Clint

Steve Vaughan
01-02-2011, 9:00 PM
In nearly every case I wear the shield. Had my share of blowouts and don't even want to take the chance. It's about gotten to the point now wear when I'm getting ready to turn, it's just a natural thing - turning jacket, face shield AND hearing protection. I've had issues with my ears over the years of NOT wearing protection around all the other machinery while working wood, that now turning becomes a bother for the ears. Especially when it's getting down to the thin stuff, the sound seems to amplify through the long handle of a gouge. Much more comfortable for me - face shield AND hearing protection!

Reed Gray
01-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I almost never use a face shield when turning bowls. As some one who turns green wood almost exclusively, I have learned to stand out of the line of fire in order to keep from getting a shower. Some woods really stink. It is now habit. I do wear glasses.

The main time when I do is when turning spindles, primary reason is when roughing, there is almost no way to stand out of the line of fire.

robo hippy

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2011, 8:10 AM
I always always always wear a face shield when around a spinning lathe. Then again, I always always always wear a helmet when riding my motorcycle.

I envy those people who can predict when an accident will not occur and can comfortably not wear their protective gear. I don't seem to be able to make those predictions, so I either wear the gear or refrain from the activity.

john snowdon
01-03-2011, 8:29 AM
I always wear a face shield, even when turning pens. I've worked in ophthalmology for 35 years, 1st as a microbiologist and for the past 25 years (as of this Wednesday!) owning a video/interactive media production company, again specializing in ophthalmic surgical training programs. During that time I have seen numerous eye infections and surgeries that could have been avoided if eye protection was used. These injuries rarely turn out with the individual having the same visual acuity they had 1 second prior to the accident. Pens may be small but, as a pen turner, who hasn't had a blank blow up on them that was just moving at about 1800rpm? Other than some chips, nothing has hit me in the face yet but nothing is easier than putting on a shield and $30 doesn't cover my co-pay.

John

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-03-2011, 3:24 PM
I always wear a face shield, even when turning pens. I've worked in ophthalmology for 35 years, 1st as a microbiologist and for the past 25 years (as of this Wednesday!) owning a video/interactive media production company, again specializing in ophthalmic surgical training programs. During that time I have seen numerous eye infections and surgeries that could have been avoided if eye protection was used. These injuries rarely turn out with the individual having the same visual acuity they had 1 second prior to the accident. Pens may be small but, as a pen turner, who hasn't had a blank blow up on them that was just moving at about 1800rpm? Other than some chips, nothing has hit me in the face yet but nothing is easier than putting on a shield and $30 doesn't cover my co-pay.

John

Thanks for the reminder and advice, John. Though I voted "sometimes" which is true, as others have said, this thread is a good reminder to NEVER put safety behind convenience. I'll convert back to always ... hopefully :eek:

Lee Koepke
01-03-2011, 9:25 PM
Well, I do wear eye-wear when turning (I have only been at this a few months) and with a mini I dont turn really big blanks. I do see now after turning my current bowl how it can be useful keeping chips and debris from my face.

Jim Laumann
01-04-2011, 9:33 AM
I am a new turner - the 2nd time was Sunday afternoon. One of the first things I learned while lurking in this forum was to get and wear a facemask. Check & check.

Jim

Scott Crumpton
01-04-2011, 9:53 AM
Always when cutting or with suspect wood. Not when sanding or finishing at slow speed with good solid wood.

Art Kelly
01-04-2011, 3:45 PM
I'm going to have a lexan window installed in my abdomen. That way I'll always have a face shield.

Sorry.

John Beaver
01-04-2011, 7:57 PM
I always wear it.
I had a piece of bark hit it today, and I was standing way off to the side.
I keep it on a hook just above head height above my lathe. Makes it super easy to grab and put on.

daniel lane
01-04-2011, 8:00 PM
I always wear a face shield, even when turning pens. Once when working with cyanoacrylates (but not woodturning), I had a drop fly off an applicator tip, over my safety glasses, and into my eye. Luckily I didn't suffer too much with that (no glued eyelids or anything like that), but it made me realize that safety glasses aren't really the best protection when there are a lot of little bits/drops flying everywhere. Frankly, though, I spent the money for a comfortable face shield so I would wear it. I can't imagine I would be as religious about it if I had to use one of the crappier ones I've seen.

daniel