PDA

View Full Version : Need your help again.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-11-2006, 9:44 PM
I just got asked today by an interior decorator to give her a price on a large Artistic Bowl. The problem is that to make what she wants I need to find a piece of Cocobolo that is at least 20" diameter and 6" thick, preferably with an irregular edge.

We're looking at something like a winged bowl, but with a more natural edge all the way around.

I'm going to do "THE GOOGLE" thing, etc., but if anyone can be of help, I'd appreciate it. This could be the biggest commission I will have gotten, to date.

Thanks, in advance.

Bruce

Mark Rios
07-11-2006, 9:47 PM
WOW...congratulations Bruce. I wouldn't begin to know where to look for something like that but I'm looking forward to seeing it when you're finished.

Frank Parker
07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
There's a place in San Jose, CA. called Global wood source. Their web site says they carry a huge assortment of Cocobolo in various sizes plus quite a few other exotics. You'll probably have a heart attack when you see how much it's going to cost.
Frank

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I've been searching and found out that a Cocobolo tree only gets as large as 18' to 24' in diameter. This could be a BIG problem! The cost of just the wood may make us re-think this!

Bruce

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Contact SMC member Jim King to see if he can help you out...this stuff is his business!

And then make sure the designer will sign off on the cost of a blank/turning like that...ching, ching!!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Could it be done in a segmented manner?

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Bruce I agree with Jim. Send a PM to Jim King. Then you had better talk to the banker. Whew that is one big hunk of cocobolo. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jim Ketron
07-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Bruce I turn Pieces like you are talking about. I use what (I) call Limb Burls unless you are working with a 1/2 ball shape or close to that shape the effect you are wanting will be hard to get with regular shape blanks. you will need to find a Burl of some type.
here is one of my pieces, is this what she is looking for?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/WNEHMB.jpg

Corey Hallagan
07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
My God Jim, look at that! Burly beautiful narly piece! Is that quilted or burled maple?

Corey

Tom Sherman
07-12-2006, 12:00 AM
My goodness Jim that looks like a chunck of marble. Awsome piece.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Yep, Jim that's kind of what she wants----------------Shape wise. However she really wants the dark colors that you find in Cocobolo. The reason for the Large size is that the bowl will be the item of interest on a 48" table. Anything smaller would probable get lost.

BTW, folks, This Commission, if it happens will be Approved at each step, with payments made along the way, Such as acceptance of design concept, acceptance of the wood, Payments for design work, for purchasing the wood, Acceptance at rough stage, with payment, then final payment when complete. I don't intend to do a lot of work, or buy the wood and end up totally out of pocket till the end.

Rich Stewart
07-12-2006, 2:09 PM
I bought a piece of cocobolo 3X3X12. Forty three dollars on ebay. S&H included.

Mark Rios
07-12-2006, 4:16 PM
Boy-o-boy, she better buy some really good M&M's to put in that nice of a bowl.

Bill O'Conner
07-12-2006, 7:53 PM
What about using walnut it is a darker wood but I'm sure you already asked her that:confused:

Corey Hallagan
07-12-2006, 9:31 PM
I agree with Bill, walnut would be cool to. I think any rosewood is going to be untouchable pricewise in that size of a hunk!

corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-13-2006, 2:54 PM
The Walnut would make a beautiful bowl. However, the look they are trying to get in the room is "Exotic."

Originally, we were looking at African" woods, but didn't see something we liked. From my research, we may have to go back there.
To do what we want, using Cocobolo" we would have to have a 6' thick slab cut from a tree at the stump that incorporates the whole tree. Obviously, this will cause the possibility of cracking problems, etc. Also, there are some time constraints to consider. We can't wait 6 years for the wood to dry.

Well, I'm still searching for options. Will keep you posted.

Bruce

Don Baer
07-13-2006, 3:01 PM
Bruce,
Have you thought about doing some sort of a glue-up. you could laminate several pieces together and then turn it. That way you could use dried wood.

Ed Breen
07-13-2006, 3:50 PM
Bruce,
Go over to Jim Kings pages and take a look at what they've got in Seattle. They have a bunch of wood on display, you can also call and get a price from them. I've ordered three chunks and have had good results from them on the phone.
Ed

Jim Sample
07-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Bill

Try http://www.cocoboloinc.com/, one of the guys in our club swears they have the best prices and wood available.

Also try Rocky at West Penn Hardwoods, he had a bunch in Louisville at the AAW symposium. He has been good to me these last two years.

Thanks

Jim Sample:)