PDA

View Full Version : Plane Rack (Till) is coming along.

Dave Anderson NH
09-21-2003, 10:23 PM
This picture is of progress as of Friday nite. Since then the dividers for the cubbie holes have been dyed and coated with 3 coats of shellac. I also completed the back panels and have just this evening got the second coat of green milk paint on them. With luck tomorrow nite I might be able to get a little shop time and rub out the shellac on the dividers and install them. With extra luck I might also use gray sanding pad to smooth out the surface of the milk paint and get the first coat of oil on them. My goal is to have this thing ready to hang by the weekend.

John Miliunas
09-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey Dave, how much of that do you figure on doing *after* you start sipping the wine? :D Between your glasses of wine and Ken's Bud Lite over on the powered side...... :rolleyes: Anyhow, lookin' good! I think your progress is faster doing it the "hard way" than mine would be with the corded animals! Don't forget to post pics when it's completed and filled with your prized planes. :cool:

Tom Scott
09-22-2003, 2:22 AM
Dave,
It looks great. I can't wait to see it finished with the doors/panels.
A question though. What are you going to do with all those planes that don't fit in there?

Tom

P.S. I thought the wine was reserved for a completed project.

Alan Turner
09-22-2003, 8:05 AM
Dave,
Very nice indeed. I see you are using milk paint, and then coating in oil. Is this BLO? If so, why not a wiped varnish? Just a thought.
My wife has a very good eye, and found an old bed, charming, in poor condition, and priced like it. I proceeded to the repairs ( replacement parts, rails, tightening, etc.) without incident.
When we got it it had a light red milk-type paint on it, which was a bit chalky. So, on the new parts, she rubbed on a matching color of milk paint, leaving some not fully covered, as with the "original", and we went over it lightly with a 3m pad to remove the dust, and then sealed it with a wiped varnish, thinned, and with oil added. One coat (if memory serves) and it was fine, but of course a bed does not have a wear surface. Just curious as to why you are going with the oil, and whether we missed the boat on the finishing schedule.
You have made a great holder for favored tools, and it will give you pleasure each time you enter your shop.
Alan

Dave Anderson NH
09-22-2003, 10:09 AM
John- One of the major advantages of hand tool works (in my mind) is that I can have a glass of wine or a beer while working without having to worry whether or not I will remove any body parts. While I certainly don't advocate getting wasted, I will sip a bit in the evening while doing finishing or sitting at the bench sketching out ideas for a new project. When in my machine room though the hard and fast rule is NO ALCOHOL AT ALL. Things happen too fast there to take even the slightest chance.

Tom-- I guess that unpredictability is key here. I've been working along on this project long enough that I figured that I earned a glass. Doing the finishing in steps along the way has really added to the time to complete this, but with all the little dividers and the hassles of trying to put finish on inside surfaces, there was little choice.

Alan- The oil is a mixture of Danish Oil with some extra BLO added to thicken it up a bit. In one or two cases I have used Bartley's gel varnish instead of the BLO mix and the results have been excellant. At the moment though I don't have any in the house so I went back to the old way. There is no question that the varnish is easier and it actually looks almost identical.

Perry Schmidt
09-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Looks nice! Can't wait to see it fininshed and filled with tools! Send that pic when it's done and being used!

Perry

Jim Becker
09-22-2003, 2:22 PM
I really like what you are doing with this project, Dave. Not only is it a clean, functional design with lots of interesting character, but the contrast between the milk paint and the natural wood is very pleasant. This will be a wonderful addition to your shop and I'm sure all your tools will be smiling once they "move in"... :D