PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini lathe stand

Bart Leetch
07-11-2006, 8:38 PM
I have been busy making a top to clamp into my workmate to make a portable stand for my Jet mini lathe & sharpening system so it will all go together on the road to go to BBQ's & picnics soon. I'll soon be out under the pine tree turning. I can't think of a nicer place to turn then out in the daylight under a tree with a nice beeze blowing.

The light is on an arm that can be swung to light either the lathe or the sharpening station.

There is a plug strip under the front of the of the top.

So take a look & tell me what you think.

Corey Hallagan
07-11-2006, 9:10 PM
Nice little set up Bart! I like it.

Corey

Mark Pruitt
07-11-2006, 9:17 PM
Great looking setup! I'm curious though, it sounds like you're talking about using it where power outlets aren't in very close proximity. Are you thinking of using a generator to power it or just a long extension cord?

Ernie Nyvall
07-11-2006, 9:19 PM
Looks good Bart. Do you cary a generator with you?

Ernie

Bart Leetch
07-11-2006, 9:34 PM
The pine tree is about 10' outside my shop doorway.

The BBQ that I go to each year we are only a short distance outside the shop but I do have 50'-100' of No 10 cord if need be.:D

Jim Underwood
07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Pretty nifty!

All I can say is that you must be shorter than I am. Just thinking about bending over that for a couple of hours makes my back hurt!

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Bart, that will work great! Wonderful being OUTSIDE, among trees, turning!

Since I'm 6"3' tall, I made a cabinet to set between my lathe and the Shop Mate to raise it to the right height for me. It holds sand paper, finish, Pen blanks, etc., ready and out of the way till I need them.

Bruce

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Nice looking little setup, Bart. Mebbe I ought to do something similar for mine.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Bart that is a mighty fine looking system. Nice work.

Bart Leetch
07-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Pretty nifty!

All I can say is that you must be shorter than I am. Just thinking about bending over that for a couple of hours makes my back hurt!

Jim I am 5' 9 1/2" & the tool rest is at 41 3/4" which is just right for me.

Tom Sherman
07-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Bart that does look like a fine Barbq Rig.

Vaughn McMillan
07-12-2006, 3:53 AM
Nice setup, Bart. That should work out real handy.

I'm in the 6'+ club, but I've got my Workmate raised up on a bodged-together rolling base. (My semi-failed attempt at installing a Herc-U-Lift on a Workmate. It rolls, but doesn't lower to the floor correctly.) It's now about 8" higher, so it's workable for my little Wilton lathe. I use the Workmate as a sanding bench a lot, too, and the extra height makes it easier on my back.

- Vaughn