PDA

View Full Version : Materials sourcing

Dan Bello
07-11-2006, 4:09 PM
I just recently got my laser and I am in the process of going in 1000 directions.

As I am exploring all of the possibilities I am realizing that experimenting with scraps of materials is great but, I will need consistent sources for any materials I want to offer my clients.

Without divulging any secrets I was hoping members of the forum could list some of their favorite resources for materials including but not limited to:

wood
acrylic
other laserable plastics
rubber
promotional products(wholesale)
laserable pens
anodized aluminum (products and sheets)
signmakers supplies
tile
trophys
awards
any other material that can be lasered

I am in New Jersey but, usually get materials online. Local resources would be ideal.

I have found previous listings for some of these items but, thought it would be nice to have one thread dedicated to a broad range of material sources.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dave Jones
07-11-2006, 4:25 PM
One place to buy almost all of that stuff is laserbits.com

It's not the cheapest, but it is convenient if you want a little of several different things. The cheapest places often have minimum orders, or longer lead times. Plus of course shipping from several different companies adds up, especially if you aren't ordering much from each one.

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2006, 5:01 PM
If you are in or near a decent sized city you should be able to get most materials locally at a good price without shipping, except for the laser specialty items like you find many of at Laserbits.

wood - Local Rockler, other local hardwood suppliers, mega home stores
acrylic - Local plastic supplier - Also abs, lexan, styrene, acetate
other laserable plastics Local Rowmark and IPI suppliers, Johnson Plastics
rubber Local suppliers (Depends on the kind, don't do stamps)

promotional products
laserable pens
anodized aluminum All of these from Laserbits and www.artisan-es.com (http://www.artisan-es.com)

signmakers supplies - Local wholesale supply
tile - Local tile suppliers
trophys - don't do them
awards - Same as promotional etc.
other material that can be lasered - That's pretty broad, since you can laser things like leaves, cardboard, paper, "fun foam", wood boxes, fabric, leather, cats, Oops. I didn't mean that:eek: . Lot's of items you can engrave are at the local craft or sewing/fabric/craft stores. We have a great leather supply here, then there's places like Jo-Ann, Ben Franklin, and Michael's
(don't know if these are nationwide chains).

Mitchell Andrus
07-11-2006, 5:17 PM
Go to :

http://engraversjournal.com/

Subscribe, and order up a few back issues. Also, google for specific items. Sometimes, the stuff you need is two or more links off of a page.

Mitch

Gary Shoemake
07-11-2006, 6:02 PM
Hi Dan

What part of New Jersey are you located? I'm in Cape May County and would be happy to share some of my sources .

Frank Corker
07-11-2006, 8:07 PM
... and Mitchell, is that a parrot on your head?

Mitchell Andrus
07-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Frank - close. I play the bass sax in a Mummer band. PA and NJ people know what this is...

We perform in about 25 parades a year, and play 15 or more retirement, old-folks homes concerts... Old-tyme music.

www.denvillestringband.com (http://www.denvillestringband.com)

Mitch

Frank Corker
07-12-2006, 4:35 AM
Thanks Mitch, having seen the site, you would have looked out of place without the parrot. We don't tend to have much of those type of parades here in the UK, I think mainly because of the weather, but especially because of a lack of wild birds! :D

Mitchell Andrus
07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
You say you have no wild birds... I know a few Brits. You've got 'em, brother.

"Marvelous plumage"

Mitch