PDA

View Full Version : Biscuits, Glue or Both?

glenn bradley
07-11-2006, 3:55 PM
I've noticed some project plans call for biscuits on face frames while others just use glue. For those of you who do a bit of this type of assembly (I've only done 1 drawer carcass); what's the determining factor? Glue only for a drawer carcass, glue and biscuits for doors or is there a length of frame piece decision maker?

As always, TIA!

Robert Mayer
07-11-2006, 3:58 PM
no glue just biscuits and a hammer :D

Mike Alagna
07-11-2006, 4:02 PM
Definately glue and i would say either biscuits or pocket hole screws

Don Baer
I made a dresser using face frames I used half laps on the styles and rales and just glued clamped em then when I joined the face frames to the carcas I did the same no biscuits, no dowels no mechanical fasteners. The dresser I made for my grandaughter well over a year ago. The dresser has since been moved from my my shop to my sons apartment to my house in California and now has been moved to AZ and is holding up fine as we speak.

Mike Hill
Glenn: I am new at this and just finishing my first project a Shaker Console table for LOML. I edge glued 2 pieces of Cherry for the top and used biscuits and glue. The Porter Cable biscuit cutter I used works great and you can hardly see any seam. So when in doubt on the strength and alignment, my instinct would be to use the biscuits and glue for alignment and strength. I am sure you will get many more replies from other more experienced wood workers. I will read along and see what I can learn also.
Mike

glenn bradley
07-11-2006, 4:05 PM
WOW! You guys must all be on your lunch break like I am; four responses in 5 minutes. This is awsome. LOML got me the PC 557 BJ for my B-day so biscuits it is!

Hoa Dinh
07-11-2006, 4:07 PM
In terms of holding strength, glue and butt joinery are sufficient to attach face frame to the carcass.

Dado or biscuit joineries may help with alignment during assembly.

Nails or screws help to hold the face frame in place while the glue cure. They helps if clamping is not possible.

Chris Padilla
07-11-2006, 4:37 PM
Here is my take on the glue/biscuit joinery:

Biscuits can/may add strength to a joint but it depends on the joint (and grain-direction of the joint) and how the grain direction of the biscuit is in relationship to the joint.

Biscuits work well for alignment purposes and to keep slippery glue surface in their place.

For long-grain to long-grain surfaces, they do not add any additional strength...the glue is the strongest. This type of joint is typical when putting a table top together with several boards. Mike, that is great that you have a tight joint on your cherry wood top but biscuit didn't achieve that, properly jointed/prepared edges did! :)

For end-grain to whatever surfaces, they may add strength as the glue doesn't work well with end-grain but this is where M & T joints work well.

For plywood to long-grain, the glue is good and biscuits, again, help with alignment.*

* - Of course, they can cause mis-alignments!! DAMHIKT!! ;)

Mike Hill
07-11-2006, 4:45 PM
Chris: I am sure your right on the joint being a result of the jointer work beforehand. I had a terrible time and had to re-rip some boards. In fact, I could have built this table from $90.00 worth of Cherry and ended up spending about $130.00 :) I finally figured out that you can;t expect the jointer to do the work. Started eyeballing the joint and going from there. Cannot tell you how many mistakes I made and more importantly, how much I learned. I do agree though, that biscuits make great alignment and also just a bit more holding power.

Oh yes, one other recommendation to new wood workers. Use something less expensive than Cherry for your first project :)

Mike

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 7:21 PM
I use a few biscuits with face frames to fasten to the carcass, but only to help with alignment when doing the gluing and clamping. Where practical, I may start using pocket screws fort his....I already use them to BUILD the face frames!