PDA

View Full Version : Mini gloat

Kyle Kraft
07-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I just received a Veritas MKII honing guide and a Japanese water stone from LV. I tried it out on my old Ace Hardware chisel set purchased years ago and WOW!. The half incher was easy, but the 3/4 and the 1" will need to be restored with the surface grinder and then final honing with the MKII. For some cheap chisels they really cut good...now.

Anyone have any comments on this one?

Mark Rios
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I just got my MKII as well ( along with my new LN 60 1/2 :D ) and I really, really like it.

Very definite and positive settings. Nothing ambiguous like my old Stanley guide. I love it too. Hey.....we must be twins.

:D

glenn bradley
07-11-2006, 3:28 PM
I have lived the life of the sharpening-challenged. With the MKII, some glass plate and some micro-abrasive-film from 3M I can now turn my pretty decent Marples into cross-grain shaving monsters in just a few minutes. So I guess my comments are very positive!

Rolf Safferthal
07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Got a Mk II in fall 2005.

At a first glance it seemed to be quite chunky. Now I love it. Use nearly the same method that Glenn describes. Only the last step of honing is on a 6000 waterstone. Use an microbevel on all chisels.