PDA

View Full Version : Can kids make pens safely?

Tom Jones III
07-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Not having kids myself I sometimes have a hard time judging what they are capable of doing safely. One of my neighborhood kids (10 yrs old) asked if he could make a bowl. I reminded him of the rule that kids can't use power tools in my shop. That got me thinking however, would it be safe for kids to make pens?

I've never made them, but it seems fairly safe. I would want to take a closer look before having the parents come over and make a decision but I figured some of you would have good input on this.

If you think it is worth considering, how much adult attention does it require, i.e. holding his hand the entire time vs. helping out with the first one and then simply being in the shop while he makes more of them.

Taking care of all the questions and warnings ... there are strict rules for kids in my shop and the parents are kept closely involved.

Forrest Price
07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
YES YES YES! They can! I really enjoyed teaching kids to turn pens in my shop. Make sure they have a full understanding of how the lathe operates. take them thru a couple to get the idea. Use a soft wood to start with and then let them sand it down to size when they get close. Neatest thing to see the grin on their face when they build their first one!

Safety glasses at the minimum, face shield is best, no long sleeves, etc.

Just promote a safe atmosphere, and safe work ethics. Stress safety to them at all times. Who knows, you just might start off a future Master!!

Bill Grumbine
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Tom, I have taught kids as young as eight to turn, and I have banned kids as old as 14 from the shop. It all depends on the maturity and dexterity of the individual child. If he is well behaved and seems to be able to control the tools and listen at the same time, I would say go for it.

Bill

Tom Sherman
07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I agree Tom while i have not instructed any small children, I have guided my oldest son (34) my youngest son (25) and the LOML no age here. And it is a hoot when the light bulb goes on and the realization that 'hey I'm doing this' hits em. Gotta love it. I agree also in stressing the safety issue, and I like your policy of getting the parents approval as well.

Art Mulder
07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Tom, how old were you in 7th Grade?

In Grade 7, my whole class took Shop. (well, the guys did. This was the mid 70's, and the girls were shunted to Home Ec.) So, round about age 11, I was first put in front of a lathe and taught how to rough a blank and turn a spindle, and then a bowl. Still have the bowl.

('Course, haven't touched a lathe since then, but maybe someday.)

Like the others said, it depends on the kids, how serious they are, how careful they are, how much they pay attention, and so on.

...art

Steve Knowlton
07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Tom, I have taught young ones to turn pens. My youngest boy was 6 when he started. He is now almost 12. I have had numerous others come into the shop and turn. I had a 4yr old turn a pen. I had to help the whole way, but the smile was worth every second. My daughter was taking care of him. He showed his mom and she wanted it.
The biggest thing is saftey. I give all of the kids a lesson on tool saftey and machine saftey. I also have a face shield for them to use. It is so much fun o see the young ones smile while working. I have a motto to pass on the fun i have in the shop. God bless Steve

Barbara Gill
07-11-2006, 1:11 PM
Our granddaughter has been turning on a Mercury lathe since she was 7. She has even turned a bowl. Children learn faster and better than we older ones. I cut the bottom off of a faceshield so that it didn't hit her in the chest when she looked down. Don't forget about breathing protection.

Lars Thomas
07-11-2006, 2:41 PM
My kids have been on the lathe since they were 4. Boy are they dizzy now!

Jim Hinze
07-11-2006, 3:41 PM
Tom,

I started my daughter turning pens at 6 (she's 7 now). I use a set of mini turning tools for her and help her through the rough spots...

She's very good about following all the safety rules and will wear goggles and a dust mask without hastle.

Of course, it's easier because she's mine.. not sure I'd do that with many of her friends.

Cecil Arnold
07-11-2006, 4:11 PM
Tom, I think it's a great idea and you are to be commended, however you are going to have to construct some boxes for them to stand on in order to reach a comfortable working height on your 3520a.

Tom Jones III
07-11-2006, 4:35 PM
Tom, I think it's a great idea and you are to be commended, however you are going to have to construct some boxes for them to stand on in order to reach a comfortable working height on your 3520a.

Good point, I've already had to do that so they can use hand planes on the work bench. The smaller girl who is a regular made a step stool all by herself but she had to make it while sitting on the floor because she couldn't reach the work bench.

tod evans
07-11-2006, 4:50 PM
tom, i was turning by 8 and my siblings before that...02 tod

David Foshee
07-11-2006, 4:54 PM
I agree with Bill, I have some adult friends that I would not attemp to teach to turn but my daugher have been working with me in the shop since age 12. Not all the but when she get intrested in something I take the time to foster a new woodworker.

Martin Shupe
07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Tom, I have taught kids as young as eight to turn, and I have banned kids as old as 14 from the shop. It all depends on the maturity and dexterity of the individual child. If he is well behaved and seems to be able to control the tools and listen at the same time, I would say go for it.

Bill

OK, my turn to tell a story about Bill....

Last summer, my family was honored to visit the 5 Barns Complex, and Bill kindly offered to teach my boy, Ethan, 10 years old, to turn a top. I admonished Ethan to do exactly what Bill said, and not to question him. Whereupon, the first words out of Bill's mouth were (in a most serious and deep commanding voice), "OK, Ethan, flap your arms and cluck like a chicken". My boy started to put his arms up to flap, while looking back and forth between Bill and I, with the funniest confused expression on his face, because he didn't know what to do. I think he said "What?", or something to that effect, and then we all burst into laughter.

Bill went on to very patiently help my boy turn a top, which he and I appreciated very much.

Thanks again, Bill.

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 10:31 PM
While the lathe is inherently as dangerous as any other power tool in the shop, I believe that pen turning is a relatively mild exposure that many 10 year olds (and sometimes a little younger) could enjoy under close supervision. Since it's spindle turning, the workpiece is pretty "captive" and the amount of material that is being removed is small. The designated tools can also be "kid sized" and comfortable to hold in smaller hands. Assuming I could get her interested, I'd not hesitate to teach my own 10 year old daughter (going on 11, err...28...) to turn pens or similar small projects.

Keith Christopher
07-11-2006, 11:17 PM
My son 14 and my daughter 13 both turn pens with no problem. However I've not yet allowed them to bowl turning. Although I think my son may be ready, I just worry about the amount of catches that can happen in a bowl and I think more than maturity is their reaction to suprised and learning what to expect when a catch happens. You know like letting go of the tool is NOT an option, backing the tool off without digging it in somewhere else in the form stuff like that. We all had to start somewhere I guess.