PDA

View Full Version : 'new' tools...

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I received no less than 8 'new' tools this past weekend. My father upgraded to the new dewalt 36v set, so I got his Ryobi 18v multi -pack (including charger), with

circular saw
reciprocating saw
drill/driver
vacuum (dustbuster style) Surprisingly useful, can't wait to have that in the shop for benchtop cleanup etc...
flashlight
plus a separate 18v rotary tool (rotozip on steroids) which uses the same 18v battery.

I'll need to buy some new batteries (don't think that they can be refurb'd being an 'off' brand. ) but everything works otherwise.

then from a neighbor I got two older jigsaws, a skil and an off brand which I don't recognize. I haven't tried those yet, but I'll take 'free' any day.

Pic police, I'll put up some fuzzy pics later this evening.

skip coyne
07-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Ive got the larger ryobi set your tools plus a few , I like it a lot . battries are 39.00 for a two pack at home depot .

mines about 2 and 1/2 years old , I had to replace the battries just a little over two years but I find the old battries still work great in the flashlight so I keep tham charged for that

Matt Meiser
07-11-2006, 11:12 AM
I'd check if they can be rebuilt. They might need to be cut apart and glued back together, but I'd bet you'd have better batteries than new Ryobi's in the end.

I have a Ryobi 14.4V drill/saw set that is OK, but the batteries quickly developed memory making it not very useful. I've been thinking about having them rebuilt.

Edit: just checked Jason Abel's site and it says all Ryobi batteries can be rebuilt: http://www.batteryrebuilders.com/batterylist.htm I'd bet that the Ryobi cells are very low AH rated compared to what Jason would use. Hopefully he will see this thread and comment.

Julio Navarro
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Nice score Ned, I have that same Ryobi driver, circular saw and flash light.

I like them alot I think they are built plenty tough and has plenty of power. I used to have a BD 12v driver but once I got that 18v, BOY what a difference.

I have my eye on a deWalt at HD they have on their clearance shelve, its originally priced 189, gonna go see this weekend how much they are clearancing it for.

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I'd check if they can be rebuilt. They might need to be cut apart and glued back together, but I'd bet you'd have better batteries than new Ryobi's in the end.

I have a Ryobi 14.4V drill/saw set that is OK, but the batteries quickly developed memory making it not very useful. I've been thinking about having them rebuilt.

Edit: just checked Jason Abel's site and it says all Ryobi batteries can be rebuilt: http://www.batteryrebuilders.com/batterylist.htm I'd bet that the Ryobi cells are very low AH rated compared to what Jason would use. Hopefully he will see this thread and comment.

I have some 12v batteries due to go see Jason, but I don't see that he rebuilds ryobi/homelite batteries. I'll contact him and see. $39 for two new cells isn't bad as an alternative though.

Wes Bischel
07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Ned,
I was also going to recommend rebuilding the batteries. Typically you will get better cells installed during a rebuild than what you get buying a new battery. If I had known about Jason before I got my batteries rebuilt at BatteriesPlus, he would have gotten my business.

Wes

PS - Sent you a PM

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 1:11 PM
I'll drop him an email when I'm at home. and TAG you're it (PM sent)

glenn bradley
07-11-2006, 3:32 PM
Depending on who you talk to HD will deal a bit on clearance. I was on the fence over a Milwaukee 5615 reduced to $59 till the LOML sweet talked 'em down to $40 with 2 collets, wrenches and case! It was such a nicely built machine I got the 5625 for my RT.

Don Baer
07-11-2006, 3:50 PM
Great gloat Ned. LOML picked up that 5 piece set for me when it first came out and it's been great. I recently picked up the Ryobi router to go with the set.
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/033287135141_3.jpg (javascript:openFeatureFlex()
It uses the same batteries and works fine for small jobs. Both of my big routers were already in AZ and I needed a router for some small jobs here in California so I figured I'd try it out. It was only $50 and has already paid for itself. I even used it with a homemade trammel to make the mortises in a longworth chuck.

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 8:29 PM
I just checked on Jason's site, and he rebuilds Ryobi Batteries, guess who is shipping off two very dead cells, plus two mostly dead Black & Decker cells tomorrow?

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 8:34 PM
Great gloat Ned. LOML picked up that 5 piece set for me when it first came out and it's been great. I recently picked up the Ryobi router to go with the set.
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/033287135141_3.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:openFeatureFlex%28)
It uses the same batteries and works fine for small jobs. Both of my big routers were already in AZ and I needed a router for some small jobs here in California so I figured I'd try it out. It was only $50 and has already paid for itself. I even used it with a homemade trammel to make the mortises in a longworth chuck.
Hey Don, where did you find that beastie? That would be just the thing to do rounding over etc... for when I don't want to unpack the PC or remove it from the wing of my tablesaw (when/if I ever get my shop back in action fully) Scratch that, just found it on the ryobi site, didn't realize it was a laminate trimmmer, think that Might just follow me home from work Tomorrow!

Don Baer
07-11-2006, 9:21 PM
Hey Ned,
Got it at the Orange Borg. I just used it again this evening and am still impress with it for $50 it gets the job done. It not like a big one but like you said for a quick roundover it works great.

Jason Abel
07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
I got you covered Ned. I can certainly rebuild them for you. I can rebuild all the Ryobi batteries. Some are just easier than others. Drop me an email or call if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Jason Abel
Battery Builders