PDA

View Full Version : First bowl

Matt Meiser
07-11-2006, 8:25 AM
Last night I tried turning another bowl. I'm not thrilled with the results, but I made something that's shaped like a bowl that doesn't have any holes in it, so I guess thats a good first try. It is ash, about 5" in diameter and about 2.5" high.

I had a few problems. First, I had a hard time not getting tearout in the end grain, even with the scraper taking very light cuts. I did get the worst out. I also used a tenon instead of a recess. I need more practice making tenons that will actually hold in my chuck (Grizzly $40 chuck) and not getting catches that launch the bowl out of said chuck. I pretty much tore up the tenon to where I had to remove it when I was done. To do that, since I don't have a vacuum chuck or cole jaws, I put the bowl over the chuck with a piece of cloth in between and ran the tailstock up to the bottom. It worked OK, but still gouged the inside of the bowl. I think the main problem was that the tenon was still too long for the dovetail on the chuck.

I also learned that I HAVE to get some kind of hood set up to catch sanding dust. I have a dust drop in place--just need a hood.

John Timberlake
07-11-2006, 8:37 AM
Great bowl. Doesn't look like a first bowl at all. And you ran into some of the same problems that all of us have encountered over the years. I still make those kind of mistaks occasionally, so keep with it. You will get better at hiding the mistakes.

Keith Burns
07-11-2006, 8:42 AM
Matt, you have obviously found out three things about turning, practice, practice, practice.:D Other than the technical problems you encountered you have done one thing with this bowl that is very important. You got the form/shape down pat. It looks good and you need to keep this one.:) :) Looking forward to seeing more....

Joe Tonich
07-11-2006, 8:47 AM
Yep...ditto what Keith said. :D

They only get better from here....keep em coming. :D

Corey Hallagan
07-11-2006, 8:54 AM
Looks good Matt! The bowl has a very very nice shape. I learned the hard way that you want to avoid making a large tennon. You only need about 1/4 to 3/16 of a tennon and don't forget that it needs to have a dove tail shape on to match the jaws and then tighten it down good. Bad tool presentation can and will rip it out of there as I have also learned. Just practice. If you can get it figured out with bowls then it's down hill from there.

Mark Cothren
07-11-2006, 8:56 AM
That's a neat little bowl, Matt! In fact, it looks pretty dad-gum good!!!

Andy Hoyt
07-11-2006, 9:29 AM
Jamb Chuck, Matt. Works like charm.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Nice first bowl Matt! I'll disagree with Andy this time.....compression chuck.

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I pretty much tore up the tenon to where I had to remove it when I was done. To do that, since I don't have a vacuum chuck or cole jaws, I put the bowl over the chuck with a piece of cloth in between and ran the tailstock up to the bottom. It worked OK, but still gouged the inside of the bowl.That technique works fine, you just need a couple extra bits to get you over the top:

1. 2"-3" PVC pipe coupler. Put it in the chuck, sand the other end nice and smooth.

2. Rug liner. This is that 1/8" rubbery stuff made to go under area rugs so they don't slip. It keeps the bowl from spinning on the PVC and getting gouges/scratches.

Total cost, maybe $6-8.

Nice bowl, BTW!

Matt Meiser
07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
That technique works fine, you just need a couple extra bits to get you over the top:

1. 2"-3" PVC pipe coupler. Put it in the chuck, sand the other end nice and smooth.

2. Rug liner. This is that 1/8" rubbery stuff made to go under area rugs so they don't slip. It keeps the bowl from spinning on the PVC and getting gouges/scratches.

Total cost, maybe $6-8.

Nice bowl, BTW!

That sounds easy. And I think I actually have everything I need. Just need to cut a piece of the rug liner from where SWMBO won't see. :D :eek:

Don Baer
07-11-2006, 11:07 AM
That technique works fine, you just need a couple extra bits to get you over the top:

Total cost, maybe $6-8.

Nice bowl, BTW!

I you want you can substitute a mouse pad for the rug linner.

Nice lookin for successful bowl.

Matt Meiser
07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I you want you can substitute a mouse pad for the rug linner.

Nice lookin for successful bowl.

I think shelf liner (not the stick on stuff) and rug liner are the same too. I think I have some of that already in the shop to use as a router pad.

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
I you want you can substitute a mouse pad for the rug linner.Actually, that's how I ended up using the rug liner: the mouse pad wasn't flexible enough for some of the bowls I was doing.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2006, 3:13 PM
Matt that is a nice looking bowl. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Tom Sherman
07-11-2006, 3:24 PM
Very nice bowl Matt looks like the first two did not discourage you. Great work.

Ernie Nyvall
07-11-2006, 6:50 PM
Just need to cut a piece of the rug liner from where SWMBO won't see. :D :eek:

Matt, your thinking here needs some adjustment.:eek: What you wrote is impossible and therefore a huge mistake. She will not only know you took it, but will also know you tried to hide the fact.:eek: :D Nosir NO SIR don't do it.

By the way, that's a fine looking first bowl.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Matt, that's a great looking bowl. I'm glad you had success with expanding the jaws and using cloth. I tried that with my first bowl and couldn't get the bloody thing to run true. I also still need to learn the proper length and dovetailing for a tenon---don't feel like you're alone in this! :)

Seriously, though, great work. Keep it up!

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I think that's a great bowl, Matt....and you also avoided the tendency of many beginners to have their first bowl(s) more flat bottomed in form...which is actually harder to turn relative to the hollowing. You did a really good job on this project!! Nice curves.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-12-2006, 12:06 AM
From what I can see, Matt, you can be PROUD of that effort!

Bruce

Dick Strauss
07-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Matt,
You've got a nice one there! I'll send you info for our next meeting if you are interested...

As far as the chuck goes, make sure that the shoulder of the tenon is flat and touches the chuck all the way around when the piece is clamped in place. When you engage the shoulder, it provides much much more holding support. Also, make sure you match the dovetail of the chuck with your tenon as others have mentioned (assuming you have a dovetial type). You can grind a slight angle on your 1/8" parting tool to create the matching dovetial angle (remember I mentioned it when we were chatting...).

You are off to one heck of a good start...

Barry Stratton
07-13-2006, 12:05 AM
What everyone else said.......GREAT bowl, great shape, great job, post more pics:D