PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Dividers - not too exciting

Wes Bischel
07-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, I finally got to do some woodworking! OK, nothing too special, but it’s a start.:rolleyes: We recently purchased new flatware and I took this as an opportunity to “fix” some things with the organization of the drawer (or lack there of) that have been bugging me for the past 13 years. (Yea, I know, I know):o

I remembered an article from Woodcraft Magazine on the exact subject (Vol.2 No.8 Project Number 34) by Ralph Bagnall. So I went to town. As recommended in the article, I used ¼” Baltic birch ply for the base and some 3/8” walnut stock I had from a previous project. Rather than make the fixtures used in the article though, I used a piece of pegboard as a guide to drill the bases and just marked and center punched the dividers. Two coats of shellac, and a little butcher’s wax – done! We’ll see if this one lasts another 13 years!;)

Wes

Chuck Trisdale
07-11-2006, 1:51 AM
plastic there. That is a great idea on the dividers. You can make the drawer do anything you want. Now you just need to carve out the exact shapes of the spoons like the other one!!

Vaughn McMillan
07-11-2006, 4:34 AM
Cool idea, Wes, and nicely executed. I'm assuming there are some type of pins or dowels that go into the holes to hold the dividers in place. Is that the case?

- Vaughn

Bob Childress
07-11-2006, 6:26 AM
Nice job Wes. I like the "adjustability" factor. Need to do something similar in my kitchen and now you've motivated me!:)

Richard Wolf
07-11-2006, 7:40 AM
Nicely organized eaten irons.

Richard

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Nice job on those dividers, Wes. They are actually really great!!

Wes Bischel
07-11-2006, 1:19 PM
Thanks guys. It was just nice to get something done for a change.

Chuck, don't give LOML any ideas! :eek: :D I'm hoping this project is "off the list"!
Vaughn, I actually used screws from below as per the magazine article. I breifly considered pins, but knowing how much was going into each space, I wasn't sure they would hold in the 1/4"BB. The screws don't make it easy to change out (actually it will be a PITA, but at least it can be done;) ), but the new flatware set weighed in just shy of 20lbs - a lot of mass sliding around in there banging on the dividers! If I had the depth in the drawer for a 3/8" or thicker base, I think pins would work out better all the way around.

Thanks for taking a look - I'll see how it works out longer term. Right now, I haven't anticipated any problems, but we'll see.:D

Wes

Matt Meiser
07-11-2006, 1:28 PM
That first pic looks exactly like our drawer! Maybe I'll have to do something similar because your's looks great!

Mark Rios
07-11-2006, 2:17 PM
Weeeeelllllllll......it looks Kiiiiinnnndddaaaa good. But I think that gold flatware, instead of silver, woulda matched and looked better.

Well done Wes!!!