PDA

View Full Version : Soften dried Titebond III?

Rick Schubert
07-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Any ideas to soften dried, hard Titebond III on my Bessey K-Body clamps (in and around the threads) so I can get it off with a brass wire brush?

Thanks, Rick

Todd Burch
07-11-2006, 12:04 AM
I just use a sharp putty knife. I figure the more brittle the glue, the better.

Todd

Tom Hintz
07-11-2006, 3:19 AM
Nearly all glues soften when subjected to heat, how soft and how much heat is a guessing game.
I think Todd has it right though. Wood glue probably will not get a good bite on the metal threads making popping it off with the point of a utility knife (be careful!) or similar instrument faster and more effective.

glenn bradley
07-11-2006, 10:30 AM
If you live in a warm climate like I do, stand the clamp in the fridge for about a half hour (no, really). The glue pops right off with a scratch awl or like tool.

chris del
07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Tightbond III turns to a soft rubbery texture at about 32 degrees celcius.....think that is about 90 F.....

It will easilly peel off at the temperature.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I did not try Titebond III yet, but this works for other water resistant yellow glues (Titebond II, Elmers, etc.): use warm water with household ammonia by soaking a rag and letting it sit on the glue for a bit.
-Jeff

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Nearly all glues soften when subjected to heat, how soft and how much heat is a guessing game.

Exactly so. Not too much heat either.

An cloths iron some moisture a towel and some patience.

Randy Meijer
07-11-2006, 7:45 PM
Exactly so. Not too much heat either.

An cloths iron some moisture a towel and some patience.

A hair dryer might be an easy solution?:confused: