PDA

View Full Version : New shop in Canton, Tx...

Kelly C. Hanna
07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
We're opening our shop in Canton FINALLY! We've been hemmin' and hawwin' for five years and we decided it's time. Jana's doing flowered windows using old wooden window sashes and playwood backs with silk flowers inside and crackled paint...very cool.

I'll be building both rustic and some exotic wood furniture. I also plan to get a lathe soon and start turning bowls and such. If anyone knows of a local deal on a used lathe, let me know [in north Texas].
We're both pretty excited about the possibilities and how much fun we'll have!

So here's the new shop...

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/MRTP1.html

Down below the link top my new business page, we've branched out and changed the name of the decking division of the company for better recognition. Both names will run indefinitely to minimize problems with the new name.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/

Todd Burch
07-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Kelly, Congrats!

I have several old wooden sashes. Maybe 2' square each - wavy glass too. If you want 'em, come get 'em. From the 50's. Maybe 10-12 of them. Todd

Martin Shupe
07-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Looks very nice, Kelly,

I have not been to Canton since college, and my wife and I have been meaning to go this fall. We will be sure to look you up!

Karl Laustrup
07-11-2006, 7:03 AM
Wow, Kelly that is really kewel and exciting. Good luck. It looks like you'll have fun doing this. :)

Karl

Matt Meiser
07-11-2006, 7:59 AM
Congratulations on the new shop.

Too bad you aren't closer. My parents have about 14 pair of sashes from the 1860's from having their windows replaced last year. Some of the glass is really old and the upper windows are arched. They can't bear to throw them away and have been trying to give them away with no luck. My mom has given her name and number to people who do that stuff at craft shows but no one has ever called her to take them.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-11-2006, 8:16 AM
Todd,

I don't know when we'll be able to get down your way, but I do want them. Thanks so much for offering them. I havea friend who travels back and forth to Houston, maybe I could get him to stop by sometime.

Martin,

It would be great to see you stop by sometime. The shop is at the south end of 'Possum Trail' where it intersects 'Hoot Owl Holler'.

Karl,

It will be a blast! Thanks for the luck!

Matt,

Yeah you live far, far away, but thanks for the thoughful offer anyway!

Mike Hill
07-11-2006, 8:40 AM
Kelly: Good luck in this endeavor. We a bit south of you in Round Rock, but sincerely hope to get up and visit when your all set up.
Mike

Jim O'Dell
07-11-2006, 9:57 AM
Congrats Kelly!! And good luck with the new business. Now, will this just be the shop for your wife, or will it eventually encorporate your work shop as well? Jim.

Cecil Arnold
07-11-2006, 9:59 AM
Kelly, good luck on your new venture. The next time we're up that way I'll make it a point to stop in and say hello.

Dave Tinley
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Kelly-
Way to go on the new shop. One of these days I will get by to see ya. And if you are ever in the Waco area give me a shout.

Dave

Jason R Tibbetts
07-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Too bad you aren't closer. My parents have about 14 pair of sashes from the 1860's from having their windows replaced last year. Some of the glass is really old and the upper windows are arched. They can't bear to throw them away and have been trying to give them away with no luck. My mom has given her name and number to people who do that stuff at craft shows but no one has ever called her to take them.
I'm gonna veer off-topic a bit here. Instead of hitting up the craft-show circuit, you may want to post something in a newsgroup for historical preservationists, such as here: http://www.oldhousejournal.com/cgi-local/forum1/index4.pl

Don Baer
07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow Kelly thats realy neat.

Eddie Watkins
07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Congratulations Kelly! LOML and I rented a booth at Canton in the late 80s, early 90s and reworked and sold antiques. It was really alot of fun, kind of like going on vacation once a month and virtually sold out every month and got to start over for the next month. Lots of interesting people and things to do there. That many Texans in one place and it has to be fun;) . We've been trying to make a trip down there for several months and just haven't gotten there, yet. Maybe we can make it in September for your grand opening.

Good Luck
Eddie

Brian Clevenger
07-11-2006, 1:18 PM
I guess I don't get up early enough in the summer to be the first to congratulate you, but way to go.

That place is just way too cool.

My weekends are getting ready to be tied up....now that I've moved to varsity, but I'll make it down there the first time I get a chance.

Good luck and best wishes.

Chip Charnley
07-11-2006, 3:26 PM

Matt,

There is an architectural antique store in downtown Ypsilanti that deals in exactly this type of thing. They might take them off your parents hands and provide them with some cash to boot.

Chip

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 7:26 PM
Congrats, Kelly!!

Cody Colston
07-11-2006, 9:07 PM
Congrats!

I get over to Canton (from Tyler) for first Monday occassionally when I'm off work for it. I'll have to check out your new place. Sounds like you're gonna do well.

Terry Hatfield
07-11-2006, 9:27 PM
Kelly,

Look like a cool place. Good luck with your new venture!!!!!!

t

Eddie Howard
07-12-2006, 8:29 AM
Kelly (or anyone for that matter)-

Please tell me about the Canton sale -- I've heard about it for a long time but never attended -- when, where, etc. alittle history?

Eddie

John Scarpa
07-12-2006, 5:05 PM
Kelly, It looks great!

Corey Hallagan
07-12-2006, 9:43 PM
Kelly, congrats and good luck. It looks great!!

Corey

Cody Colston
07-13-2006, 9:55 AM
Kelly (or anyone for that matter)-

Please tell me about the Canton sale -- I've heard about it for a long time but never attended -- when, where, etc. alittle history?

Eddie

The city of Canton, TX is home to the "First Monday Trades Day." Every month on the weekend of the first monday of that month there is a massive gathering of vendors selling all types of wares...antiques, craft items, furniture, clothing, collectibles...just about anything you can imagine. There's also plenty of eats and sometimes live music events for entertainment, along with the shopping.

First Monday has been an event in Canton for as long as I can remember (I'm 54) but it has really grown in the past 20 years or so. The entire city is devoted to the event. There are several large pavilions where the monthly vendor booths are located along with many permanent establishments that are open all the time.

Even though it's called "First Monday", the big event is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. By Monday, a lot of the vendors have either sold out or have closed up and moved on to the next craft show type event.

It's worth a visit although be advised that it's mighty hot there this time of year. ;)

Eddie Howard
07-13-2006, 6:57 PM
Thanks Cody

Eddie

Kelly C. Hanna
07-13-2006, 9:34 PM
Cody is correct...not only that, it's the world's largest flea market and has been for most of it's life. You can google 'First Monday Trade Days' and get the site. It's a ton of fun to mill around looking at all the bargains and goodies.