PDA

View Full Version : Router Table vs. Extension Wing on Table Saw

Bryan Ferguson
07-10-2006, 5:29 PM
I'm trolling for opinions. My slapped together router table that I built 2 yrs ago has had enough. I ready to invest in soemthing more.

What would you do, build a table similar to NYW one or put an extension wing on table saw? I've got a grizz g0444 contractor saw. I can get the iron wing for +/- $200, this will give me more surface and I can use my existing fence. I have plans to dedicate a router to this table. What are the disadvantages?

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-10-2006, 6:04 PM
have you considered a shaper?

In another forum I saw a guy put together a really slick three router station. It was a three sided geometry (could have been round) with three independant stations and included DC.
It was quite a nice rig.

tod evans
07-10-2006, 6:07 PM
bryan, the main shortcomming of a router in your saw is having to tear down one set-up to use the other piece of equipment that shares the same footprint....02 tod

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 6:13 PM
bryan, the main shortcomming of a router in your saw is having to tear down one set-up to use the other piece of equipment that shares the same footprint....02 tod Tod brings up a good point, and one that's bit me a couple times. On the other hand, in my limited shop space, the router table extension was about the only to go. (My preference would be a separate router cabinet.)

In my case, I originally put the RT on the right-hand side of the TS, but when I installed the Incra TS-III jig, fence and rail setup, I moved the RT to the left side. I makes it easier for me to use the Incra fence for routing as well as sawing.

- Vaughn

Brian Clevenger
07-10-2006, 6:14 PM
Everybody works a little differently, so my opinion is just that. I had an extension in my previous table saw, and it did the job. Once I sold that saw, I started building the NYW router station. I haven't completed the drawers and door yet (even though I've been using it for almost 6 months); but I much prefer it over the extension. The DC is a lot better, I don't have to worry about freeing my setup to switch between the RT and the TS, and it doubles as yet another work-surface when I need it. I even have a sup-top for it that allows it to work as a rolling infeed support. YMMV, but if shop space isn't too tight, I like the stand-alone station.

Bryan Rocker
07-10-2006, 7:46 PM
While my router table isn't fancy at all. I have used it numerous times. I mounted mine to a sheet of 3/4" plywood, when I need it I pull it off the shelf and drop it in my work mate. I find the router to be an exceptionally versatile tool. I look at shapers and super routers. I have considered table inserts but I can see how a router in the middle of it could cause lots of issues.

YMMV

Norman Hitt
07-10-2006, 8:21 PM
Bryan, for SOME folks the router in an extension wing works great, and is also helpful if you are extremely limited on shop space, Buuuuuuut......add me to the list that it absolutely wouldn't work for. It just doesn't fit my work habits, (and forgetfulness sometimes also).:rolleyes: Heck, recently on a project, I had the TS set up, My RT set up, and then needed a little more of a previously made piece with a different profile because a blemish developed in it, so I set up my buddy's RT and made it without having to tear down either the saw or the other RT setup I was still using.

It just depends on how YOU work, (and plan ahead),;) and only YOU, can answer that. :D

glenn bradley
07-11-2006, 10:37 AM
The table extension approach works for me. My over the blade dust collection hood hose (did that make sense?) easily swings over to become the router fence DC point. Permenant DC is from the bottom of the router.

I modified the RT to allow the fence to be dropped in from the top so change over is quite quick. Sometimes the TS fence serves double duty and my right hand TS extension more than allows me to just slide the TS fence out of the way of the RT (if required) without removing any sacrificial fences, featherboards or whatever I may have set up.

I also have a contractor style saw and so added additional support legs as my RT is larger than the average cast iron extension type from Bench Dog or whoever (although I would LOVE to have one of those).

Frank Hagan
07-12-2006, 1:16 AM
I kind of did both ... I built a router table that slides in between the rails of the TS on the right side. It allows me to use the TS fence if I want, but I can also pull the router table out to use it in the middle of the shop if I want to.

Jim Becker
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I prefer a separate router table as I feel it is more versatile in the shop. If it's the same height as your TS, it can be used for extra infeed/outfeed support and it can also supply additional work surface for assembly, etc. That said, if you don't have space for one, using some table saw surface is a good alternative. The downside to that is that it's harder to deal with dust control given the increased complexity of building a cabinet below the table saw extension table, etc.

Dave Falkenstein
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I have had both versions, starting with a router mounted in my saw extension and evolving to a free-standing, mobile router table. I much prefer the free-standing version, for many of the reasons already listed. Add one more reason - unless you can work from the end of your saw table extension, you will be working from the end of the router fence instead of standing in front of the fence. And you will need some sort of table saw fence attachment to accomodate router bits. I would opt for the extension table version ONLY if space was THE prime consideration.

As for building a router table, please consider the cabinet plan available from Jointech, which I think is superior to the NYW plan:

http://www.jointech.com/routerstation.htm

The Jointech cabinet accomodates much larger tops easily, which is a significant issue if you opt for a Jointech or Incra type of fence system.

Kyle Kraft
07-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I have a router lift mounted on the auxilliary table of my Jet cabinet saw and it has worked satisfactorily so far. I have been thinking of thickening the table, probably from beneath so I can rout grooves and install some t-slot track. Then I could build a dedicated router fence and still use the TS fence "simultaneously".

Also considering building a cabinet which would fit under the auxilliary table to house the router for enhanced dust collection and for some bit storage drawers.

Curt Harms
07-12-2006, 1:03 PM
bryan, the main shortcomming of a router in your saw is having to tear down one set-up to use the other piece of equipment that shares the same footprint....02 tod

I have a router mounted in an extension and router fence that mounts to the TS fence. I'm considering a partial fix-either make the existing fence mount independent of the TS fence or make another router fence. I'm leaning toward another fence, so I could have 2 fences mounted at the same time. I'd be limited to about 12" of rip capacity, but that's often times enough for what I do when I'm using the router table, for example rails & stiles. Flawed idea?

Curt

Sam Chambers
07-12-2006, 1:35 PM
Brian, I have my router table in the left-hand side of my table saw. I did this so I can use my Jointech Saw Train for both the tabel saw and router table. I put it on the left side (rather than the right side like most people do) so I don't have to lean over the table to use the router table. The left-hand position allows me a much better stance, and saves my surgically-repaired back.

Hoa Dinh
07-12-2006, 2:16 PM
I'm considering a partial fix-either make the existing fence mount independent of the TS fence or make another router fence. I'm leaning toward another fence, so I could have 2 fences mounted at the same time.
My TS has a 50" Unifence. I have a seperate fence for the RT and mount the router so that the Unifence can be set at 36" rip without disturbing the router or the RT fence setup.

RT dust collection is as good as it can be.

Gary Curtis
07-12-2006, 6:56 PM
It took me 4 months to decide this one. And my General TS came with an extension table.

I opted to put the router in the extension table rather than buying or building a dedicated router table. If I had bought one, BenchDog would have been my choice. But I put it in the table saw to 1) save floor space, 2) save money.

The deal breaker came when I heard of a product line called WoodHaven. They make all sorts of products for routers. They have a router fence that sells for just a bit over $100 (don't quote me) that clamps onto your TS fence. So, you are using the TS rule to set the fence. The Router Fence is split, so you can edge joint.

To further save money, forget about getting a router left. Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Bosch all make router with a built-in lift that is adusted above the table with a wrench.

My router was installed only 3 days ago, so I might be all wet recommending these products without using them. I'll post an evaluation on SMC in about a month when I get back from vacation.

Gary Curtis

JIm McMullen
07-12-2006, 8:50 PM
Brian, I have a Nucraft 700 which I bought about 12 or 13 yrs ago. It is heavy cast which bolted right on the left side of my Rockwell Contractors saw. I also bought an adjustable fence with a cast iron dust duct made for the table at the same time (Nucraft). I don't know if they're still available or not, but here is a link at amazon where they once were.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002268O/102-0647038-5339348?v=glance&n=228013
I would highly recommend this setup if you can find one. By the way, it doesn't fit the new Saw stop which I just bought ( I will have to drill the extension wing if I want to use it--which I probably will). Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Jim