PDA

View Full Version : For you luthiers out there...

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2006, 2:49 PM
I have a friend at work that wants to replace the fret board on a guitar. He has located the new one, but is questioning me on how to get the old one off. I'm sure it is one of his electric guitars. He doesn't want to use any sharp objects to do it for fear that he will damage the neck. I suggested he ask the company that he is buying the new fret board from and he is going to do that, but I told him I would ask the collective here what they thought. I was reading the Creek when he asked me, but for some reason I can't post a new thread from work today. Thanks! Jim.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-10-2006, 4:34 PM
I have a friend at work that wants to replace the fret board on a guitar. He has located the new one,
The assumption is that (A) he isn't making one from ebony but rather (B) he has a fretboard from a similar make model guitar or (C) one that is aftermarket third party designed to fit his model?? Yes?

but is questioning me on how to get the old one off.

Heat is the best method. Not too much just enough to soften the glue. Most of us use use a polyvinyl or other heat sensitive glue. Epoxies soften at about 200 - 250 F only a psycho would epoxy a fretboard on as that is hot enough to change the shape of the neck.

I'm sure it is one of his electric guitars.
Then he can simply slam it into the driveway till the fretboard comes loose. (Joking)

He doesn't want to use any sharp objects to do it for fear that he will damage the neck.
He should not.
Heat should soften the glue and a little wiggling should liberate it. No sharp impliments required. Many folks use a damp towel and a household iron set to medium.

Use a scraper to strip the redt of the glue.
He may need help with the scraper. Take almost nothing off. Keep it dead flat.
Some folks use sandpaper and a block. Same issues as a scraper flat flat flat.

It's also possible to sample the glue and if it's polyvinyl or any water soluable glue just soften it with water and scrub with a brush. Very little water don't want to warp the neck. The next glue coat when laying on the new fretboard should adhere quite well.

Use the most sophisticated sampling device you have - the human tongue.
Polyvinil glue tastes like polyvinyl glue.

About epoxies: I have (once) had to take a puller to get the frets off and then use a hand plane to strip it off shaving by shaving because the idiot who mounted it used an epoxy. Of course only an epoxy will stick to an epoxy so the only way to glue the new one on was with (you guessed it) epoxy. God save me from the man who takes something that works great and fixes it.

I suggested he ask the company that he is buying the new fret board from.
Won't hurt.

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2006, 4:39 PM
THANKS!!!! Cliff. I've printed off your post to take to him out in the shop. Sounds a lot easier than I would have immagined. Jim.

john whittaker
07-10-2006, 5:19 PM
Jim...Cliff has it right. Heat to loosen the glue and work it off....and pray it's not epoxy. BUT... If the new board he "found" does not include frets he will also need to re-fret the new board. Or if it does include frets, they may be a little higher than the old ones and his action will be different. Maybe better, maybe worse...and maybe buzzzzzzing.

Please note how much Cliff emphasized "FLAT"

Thomas Cherry
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/removal.htm

Sam Chambers
07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Jim:

I'm not a luthier, but a guitar player for over 30 years. The first question I have for your friend is, "Why do you want/need to replace the fingerboard?" Some folks beleive they need a new fretboard or a new neck, when all they need is a refret with some touchup on the fretboard. Also, is this a bolt-on neck or a set neck? Much less risk with a bolt-on neck, because you can easily replace the whole thing if the worst happens. Finally, before starting the fingerboard-ectomy, make darn sure the new fingerboard is the same scale as the old one, and have some way to verify that the nut ends up exactly where the old one was. This is especially true if it's an acoustic, since the bridges are not easily adjusted for intonation.

Jim O'Dell
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Thomas, thanks for the link. I'll send it to him.
Sam, he said he's worn the fret board out. It is a guitar from the mid 80's, IIRC, and he has found a custom fret board that is made for this specific guitar. Said the fret board will be worth more than the guitar, but it's something he wants to do. I'll print off your post for him to ponder as well.
Thanks for the great information, everyone! Jim.

Doug Shepard
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Here's a pretty good writeup on doing it on an acoustic. Some of the steps are sure to be the same on an electric
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Structural/NewFingerBoard/85hd28board.html