PDA

View Full Version : Donut Chuck Question

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 12:45 PM
When you guys make a donut chuck do you make a lot of different size hole plates for the different bowls or do you do something else? :confused:

I thought about a longworth but I just don't have what it takes to make one. I've been using duct tape on a flat chuck disk I made but it has much to be desired. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Rios
07-10-2006, 12:50 PM
You folks can even turn things out of doughnuts? MAN!!!!......you are REALLY good. Does it have to be a plain doughnut or can it be glazed or frosted? How about turning a maple bar or maybe an apple fritter? Boy-o-boy, have I got alot to learn about turning.

I'll keep reading.

Don Baer
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Chris,
A longworth chuck is pretty simple to make. I just used a couple of pieces of plywood and some a band saw and a router to make mine. All of the hardware was off the shelf from true value. If you missed it here is the thread where I tell you how I built mine. I don't have a donut chuck so I can't help you there.

Don Baer
07-10-2006, 12:55 PM
You folks can even turn things out of doughnuts? MAN!!!!......you are REALLY good. Does it have to be a plain doughnut or can it be glazed or frosted? How about turning a maple bar or maybe an apple fritter? Boy-o-boy, have I got alot to learn about turning.

I'll keep reading.

Maple bars are flat work and not allowed here. Now an apple fritter could be considered a natural edge..:D

Mark Rios
07-10-2006, 1:04 PM
Maple bars are flat work and not allowed here. Now an apple fritter could be considered a natural edge..:D

Seeee....I'm learning more and more every day.

:D

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2006, 1:17 PM

Ooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!! Now yur tawkin...!!!!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 1:20 PM
ME thinks more than on person is turning exotics again.........

Lee DeRaud
07-10-2006, 1:28 PM
You folks can even turn things out of doughnuts?We don't have to turn them: they're already round.

Does it have to be a plain doughnut or can it be glazed or frosted?
Pretty much anything except those KrispyKreme abominations: there's so much air in them, it takes a gallon of CA glue to hold it together.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 1:42 PM
Chris.....the answer to your question is yes....different sized "hole" plates for different sized bowls.

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 1:46 PM
I didn't know that donuts were turned...no lathes at my local Dunkin' Donuts!
-----

As Ken mentioned, different mounting points, or with the Longworth, the whole thing is adjustable by turning it in or out due to the way the bolts ride in identical curved mortises.

Mark Rios
07-10-2006, 1:48 PM
Regarding doughnuts, are those what you call hollow forms?

Lee DeRaud
07-10-2006, 3:37 PM
Regarding doughnuts, are those what you call hollow forms?Only the jelly-filled ones.

The regular ones are thick-walled funnels.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 7:34 PM

I'll keep reading. Sorry only Jelly Donuts will work!:D

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 7:37 PM
Chris.....the answer to your question is yes....different sized "hole" plates for different sized bowls. Thanks Ken, at least there is one person with no donut hole in the head out there.:D

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 7:40 PM
I didn't know that donuts were turned...no lathes at my local Dunkin' Donuts!
-----

As Ken mentioned, different mounting points, or with the Longworth, the whole thing is adjustable by turning it in or out due to the way the bolts ride in identical curved mortises.Thanks Jim, another sane mind out there. My problem is no router so I better stick with the donut.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 7:41 PM
Chris,
A longworth chuck is pretty simple to make. I just used a couple of pieces of plywood and some a band saw and a router to make mine. All of the hardware was off the shelf from true value. If you missed it here is the thread where I tell you how I built mine. I don't have a donut chuck so I can't help you there. Don sorry I passed over your answer. Thanks, for the info but no router.:)

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 8:20 PM
...How about turning a maple bar or maybe an apple fritter? ...
I've had pretty good luck with maple, but I had a lot of tear-out problems with the apple fritters

...Boy-o-boy, have I got alot to learn about turning...
You and me both. ;) :p

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
07-10-2006, 8:30 PM
And if you have a realy big gnarly hunk of mean old oak to mount, I suggest you use my favorite secret weapon - The Bearclaw!

Don Baer
07-10-2006, 8:33 PM
Don sorry I passed over your answer. Thanks, for the info but no router.:)

I can see your problem but how are you going to cut he centers out of the donuts. If you use a scroll saw you can also use it to cut the mortices in the face plates of the longworth too.

I guess with the donuts you don't need to be so precise.. I answered my own question..:D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 9:14 PM
Don.........he could use a skill saw to cut the centers......or.....strategically space some small blocks of wood to hold it away from the inner circle and turn the holes?

Lee DeRaud
07-10-2006, 9:17 PM
I can see your problem but how are you going to cut he centers out of the donuts.I suppose turning the holes is out of the question... :p

(Edit: I type too slow, Ken beat me to it.)

Don Baer
07-10-2006, 9:19 PM
I suppose turning the holes is out of the question... :p

(Edit: I type too slow, Ken beat me to it.)

<hitting self on forehead>.... dooh

Jim King
07-10-2006, 9:25 PM
I am not in my office now but when I get back I will send a photo of some donut chucks we made. Once you have one you cannot live without them.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 9:29 PM
So let me see if I understand what I think you all are saying...(paraphrase)"When you ask a stupid question you get a sillier answer."... Did I get close?:( Meanwhile, back at the search engine.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 9:33 PM
I'm telling you Chris....some of these guys have been turning exotics lately. This attitude occurs everytime it happens!

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 9:41 PM
I'm telling you Chris....some of these guys have been turning exotics lately. This attitude occurs everytime it happens! I think some of them have had their heads in the DNA bucket too long and the hallucinations of exotic pastry have overcome them.:confused:

Andy Hoyt
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Exotics?!?! Not me. I've been wrecking hemlock all day.

Can't get any more non-exotic than that.

Whole shop smells like a 2x4.

Uh oh. What was that about Socrates?:eek:

Ernie Nyvall
07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't use donuts, but then I am on a low carb diet.

Ernie

Jim King
07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
The other day I promised to post a photo of our donuts and I forgot I had already posted the donut chuck earlier. Getting old , it is on this thread.
Donuts.......mmmmmmmmm...... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=365081#post365081)

Mark Rios
07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
The other day I promised to post a photo of our donuts and I forgot I had already posted the donut chuck earlier. Getting old , it is on this thread.
Donuts.......mmmmmmmmm...... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=365081#post365081)

Those don't look very tasty. Maybe it's a peruvian thing. :D

John Miliunas
07-14-2006, 1:44 PM
When you guys make a donut chuck do you make a lot of different size hole plates for the different bowls or do you do something else? :confused:

I thought about a longworth but I just don't have what it takes to make one. I've been using duct tape on a flat chuck disk I made but it has much to be desired. Any help would be appreciated.

My daughter really, really likes the jelly-filled ones, but man, what a mess they make on the lathe!!! :eek:

In the meantime, you may like to check out this article by our own Bill Grumbine:
http://www.wonderfulwood.com/

Go to the "for turners" link and find the bowl turning jig. :) :cool: