PDA

View Full Version : Help on making tapered corbels

Jeff Monson
07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm going to make some corbels for my kitchen island and will need to cut some 3/4" cherry that is 5" wide on top and taper to 1/4" on the bottom, the pieces will need to be 18" long. I will need 9 of them, so whats the best option for me, to make them all identical??

Frank Fusco
07-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Buy ready-mades from Van Dyke's or wait a couple months, my duplicating machine will be set up. I'll make them for you. Or buy a $4000.00 duplicator and make them yourself, or hand carve them yourself.

Ben Grunow
07-10-2006, 9:59 PM
Can you make a jig on a cross cut sled that has blocks that register the pieces and allows them to be clamped to ensure repeatable accuracy. THen cut the pieces to length, joint the faces and place against blocks and cut away. What shape are they going to be (are there any miters or just 90 degree cuts?).

Cliff Polubinsky
07-10-2006, 10:36 PM
If I'm understanding your question, one option would be to make a template out of hardboard or plywood. Cut your blanks on the TS, cutting the top, flat side and bottom. Cut the curved side on the bandsaw making the cut a bit proud. Then attach the template to the blank with carpet tape or hot glue and use a router table and a pattern bit to cut the curve.

Cliff