PDA

View Full Version : Public Humility #1

Andy Hoyt
07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
So here I am having the time of my life turning stuff in the privacy of my own shop. The image of Tyler in his closet aint far off! The only folks who've ever actually seen me do this have been my wife and daughter along with a good friend/pro turner who's been mentoring me for a couple of years. :D

So........... Along comes this invitation to join all those Arkysnorers, Moxissippeans, Tennesleepeyheads, Tarheelioids, Buckaroos, and Virchainians in Knoxville for a weekend of beer drinking; tall story telling; and spin talk. Stooopid me never thought for a minute that I'd end up demoing my style of catching, launching, and funnelizing for this august body of talent, wisdom, and skill. :o

So on Day Two Barney Cothren hands me this nice piece of Arkansas Black Cherry, points me towards Bea Parr's DVR and says, "git-r-done". :confused:

So there I am with an unfamiliar lathe; the most bassackwards chuck I've ever wrestled with; a wierd grind on 2" bowl gouge; all eyes on me; and Otis Ketron says, "Yer gonna do a NE, right?" :eek:

Let me tell ya. I roughed that thing to a fat 3" wall thickness and called it good just as fast as I could. If you want a truly nerve wracking and pucker inducing experience try it sometime. :(

Nine thousand some odd miles later, I get home and complete the piece in the safety, security, and privacy of my closet. :)

Mark Cothren
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Well lemme tell all y'all somethin'... ol' Ang can shake the roof off a shop when he starts sprayin' chunks (no, not shavings - chunks) off a lathe! It's a good thing Dick's shop was settin' on a thick slab of 'crete... I think the seismologists in Tennesee reported a 3.2 on their Richter scale... he would get the tip of that 2" gouge red hot and then dip it in Moxie to cool it off...

Nevertheless Ang, you did a bang-up job on this Cherry! I love the way it turned out.

Michael Stafford
07-10-2006, 11:52 AM
And git 'er done he did.....I have never been so scared in my whole life. Dennis and I were sitting as far away from the action as possible because unusual loud sounds could be heard coming from the vicinity of the DVR. No, I am not talking about the belches, burps and gaseous anomaly sounds that accompany a Moxie drinker. I am referring to the sounds that someone attacking a large piece of wood on an unfamiliar lathe with unfamiliar tools make. Ladies and gentlemen of the reading audience, let me tell you something, people from Maine know some choice words.....

Anyway, Dennis and I are safely out of the line of fire when suddenly there is a loud "BRRRRPPPPP-P-P-P-P" and a hunk of bark the size of a baseball is flung off the blank that Andy is gouging and whizzes by my head and impales itself in the wall behind me. I immediately duck for cover and reach for a large piece of carpet padding that Dick had stored near his vacuum. I wrap this around my chest and Dennis takes 3 rolls of duct tape and straps it on me. We go back to eating cheese bars, spicy nut mix and laughing at Andy as if nothing had happened. Keith on the other hand was last seen scurrying out of the line of fire looking for his wife.....Uncle Fester Ketron and Travis Stinson were no where to be seen...

So just be aware that although this bowl/natural edge looks great now it was turned under dangerous circumstances to the heckling peanut gallery....:p :D

Keith Burns
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
As a Tennesleepeyhead, I never thought I'd see a Maineenite spin something on a lathe, but lo and behold, along came Andy. Such a sight I've never seen. The way them Yanks chuck things up, the contorted ways they hold their tools, the way they can throw chips 40' thru the air, I swear I've never seen things like this before.

However, the botom line is, yes they can produce some mighty fine turnings as Andy did with this piece. Excellent NE Bowl Andy, you done yerself proud:) :)

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Andy, Thanks for sharing that. It's a side of you that quite frankly, I wasn't sure existed. Now I know your secret!!! YOU ARE HUMAN... just like the rest of us.( I promise not to tell anyone...he..he) I can't relate to being on the spot in front of a bunch of turners, but I can relate to that same thing in other venues. I just want to say this. When I look at your work the only thing I feel is gratitude for being able to see it and envy in wanting to be that good. What you do shines in it's own right. If it didn't, they probably would never have asked you to demonstrate. You may have your own way of doing things and maybe that is a bit different from some of the accepted norm but it is you, and gets the results. You are the best You that was ever created...don't be afraid of that! That being said I'd better take my own advice. I'd probably feel just like you did if I had to turn in front of you and some others here.:o

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Well Ang.....you did GOOD on that there 3" thick bowl of yor'n.!!! :D

It was a real experience to see how a Maineenite might turn a bowl. Now I know just to run and hide when you bolt up sumpin on the lathe in my neighborhood!!!! :p :eek: :D

Lee DeRaud
07-10-2006, 12:30 PM
The way them Yanks chuck things up, the contorted ways they hold their tools, the way they can throw chips 40' thru the air, I swear I've never seen things like this before.Explains a lot: since Andy's my role model, I thought you were supposed to do it that way. :eek: :p

"You mean 'brute-force-and-massive-ignorance' doesn't count as a technique?!?" :cool:

Travis Stinson
07-10-2006, 1:11 PM
We told you............ "No hands-in-pockets!";)
I want everyone to know that I risked life and limb to get this shot.:eek: :p
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/Knox%20BBQ%202006/DSC02572Small.jpg

That NE ended up beautiful Andy.:cool:

Lee DeRaud
07-10-2006, 1:23 PM
Is the maniacal (Maine-iacal?) grin part of the technique? :eek:

Mark Cothren
07-10-2006, 1:26 PM
And just look at the evil, Moxified grin on his face!!! :eek:

That boy is as ugly as my grandpa's toenails... but he's awwwwwwwwwwwright in my book...;)

Andy Hoyt
07-10-2006, 1:40 PM
Is the maniacal (Maine-iacal?) grin part of the technique? :eek:

Lee - the grin is in reference to the fact that I'd just speed chugged three bottles of Moxie and I (and only I) knew what was gonna happen next.

Hmm. Maybe it's a grimace because (see above) and I was shackled to the lathe at Ground Zero.

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 1:43 PM
Sounds like a "natural" progression to me!!

Joe Tonich
07-10-2006, 3:11 PM
awww.............I was just gettin over the nightmares I got from that demo....you with your maniacal Moxie induced grin and laugh as you were attacking that poor cherry blank......Big Mike wearing that carpet like a TUTU, snuggling close with Dennis for safety (NOT a pretty sight!).... Trav doing his best 'Hunter's stalk', tryin to get close enough to shoot that pic without bein' seen or scented....an Jim, Keith n' Mark were just standin there with that look, you know the one, like they knew somethin baaaad was gonna happen but not what or how baaaad.

I may be scarred for life, but that ol' chunk of wood ya were beating on sure came out pretty.
Do me a favor Andy....no more demo'ing on moxie please!!!!

Mark Cothren
07-10-2006, 3:17 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/Knox%20BBQ%202006/DSC02572Small.jpg

....and this is your brain on Moxie....:eek:

Frank Chaffee
07-10-2006, 4:08 PM
If you think you can take a joy-spin with Andy “no I won’t” Hoyt “you”, and not feel repercussions from that for the rest of you life, please read the following:

Ah yes, the Head Minister of Abysseration, transmoxifying an innocent piece of wood into yet another inescapable entrance to the all-consuming and devouring Void.

See how inviting are the rounded depths of this lovely vessel, but then note the jagged teeth of it’s maw, and consider how easily it would disgorge a naïve experimenter who decided that turning is too dirty and messy an art to commit to. Not easily at all I suggest.

Note the knavish grin on the face of one who refers to himself as a Minister! Should this not be an important clue to his diabolical intentions???

Also note how much fun he is having with his clothes on. Is this even legal???

RUN!!!

Frank

Tom Sherman
07-10-2006, 4:30 PM
Well I gotta say it folks, if results such as this are what comes from consuming Moxie I may have to resort to getting myself a taste or two. I don't imagine that it would be as bad as some of the other beverages that I have tried in my earlier years ig...Acadama, Orion, Saporro, Tequante and not the least of which would be a home brewed Sake from an acquaintance in Okinawa. Way to go Andy. Just one question though how did you fool your sweet one man machine that you hadn't been cheating on her?

Jim Ketron
07-10-2006, 4:49 PM
Oh yea It was a site to behold!
But look at that bowl!
Nice Job even if it was Moxie induced:D

Cecil Arnold
07-10-2006, 5:16 PM
Andy, it had to turn out to be a nice bowl, otherwise all those guys might have had to hunt you up in Maine. The pressure had to be awesome, glad you had the Moxie to work it out.

John Miliunas
07-10-2006, 5:28 PM
Yikes! :eek: I can only imagine what kind of shrapnel he'd have produced off that big 'ol ugly Vega 'o mine!!! :eek:

NOTE TO SELF: If Andy comes aknockin', fortify 15' in each direction of the Vega with reinforced cement block! :D

Really turned out purty, though! :) Nice job, Drew! :D :cool:

Rob Bourgeois
07-10-2006, 6:06 PM
The chunk missed Big Mike by an a few inches. I dont know what was funnier seeing Big Mike run (very fast)..or Andy's sick twisted laugh.

I just back from getting food( had to feed my tape worm) right as the chunk almost made Big Mike into Black and Blue Mike.

Cool Bowl Andy.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-10-2006, 6:47 PM
Sounds lika a GREAT time was had by ALL------- even ANDY!

Great lookin' NE.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
07-10-2006, 7:24 PM
That is a very pretty bowl Andy. Nice job!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
07-10-2006, 8:54 PM
Thanks fellers. I sincerely appreciate your kind sentiments. Well, some of them anyway. :D

It was indeed an experience to suffer through that horrifying ordeal, but I'm a better spinster for it, I hope.

And don't worry, Tom. Janine only had to take one look at that roughed out piece to know that I'd been unfaithful to her. But she had a gleem in her ways and and smile on her headstock when she said, "Bring it to mommy and I'll make it better."

At one point during the getting re-acquainted all over again process (which included backrubs with tuning wax and a double scoop serving of lithium grease), she suddenly caught herself but good, winked at me with her spacious outboard extension and remarked,

It's a good thing that wasn't a mustard you were with,
or you'd be toast!"

Mark Cothren
07-10-2006, 8:57 PM
It's a good thing that wasn't a mustard you were with,

or you'd be toast!"

That's right... cuz Mayo would never taste the same again....:cool:

Dick Parr
07-10-2006, 9:10 PM
The slow speed that blank was turned at, I never thought it would turn out so nice.

I finished patching all the holes and dents in the walls after that delightful demo.:eek: Next time the plywood walls go up.:D

Great job on the bowl Andy.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 9:10 PM
That's right... cuz Mayo would never taste the same again....:cool:

It'd be too bland.......don't you think Mark?

Very nice stupor bowl Andy!

Ernie Nyvall
07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Well that sounds like a great time... watching Andy sweat.:D Of course it doesn;t look like he was too worried with that grin on his face and with the way that bowl turned out. Nice job Andy.

What is Moxie anyway.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
07-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Ernie you don't want to know!
some awful excuse for a soft drink!

Curt Fuller
07-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice bowl there Mainerd!

Rob Bourgeois
07-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Ernie you don't want to know!
some awful excuse for a soft drink!
soft drink...I thought it was tile cleaner....at least thats what it tasted like.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Well it looks to me like Andy was enjoying his Moxie just a little to much by the look of that devilish grin he had. :eek: :p Andy you definately Moxified that NE. It is a beautiful piece.