PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2006, 9:36 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I hope all of you had a nice weekend.

Mine was pretty good. Spent a lot of time in the shop this weekend. Friday night was in the shop working on more glueups for the computer desk. Saturday worked more on the computer desk and also helped my 11 year old son finish turn another bowl. That boy just loves lathe time. :)
Sunday was church and I played bass again this Sunday. Got home and napped for a bit and then out to the shop for more work.

Today it's back to the "day job". Overall, a pretty good weekend.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

glenn bradley
07-10-2006, 9:48 AM
Ceiling vent fan in the master bath . . . Vaulted ceilings made from some interesting crawl space access. I think I found my inner ferret. I also found sore muscles where I didn't know I had muscles. Front and back yard sprinklers got an overhaul too. Oh yeah, and I passed through the shop to get from the front yard to the back yard :( .

Art Mulder
07-10-2006, 9:50 AM
Stained on Saturday - Flecto Varathane "Cabernet" stain on top of white oak (not QS). I was quite nervous about this reddish stuff, but my son asked, so... But wow, what a rich reddish/brown/burgundy effect once it was all complete.

Varathane on on Sunday - two coats of water based Varathane.

And scored some more wood. My son went to a b'day party on Sunday aft over at a friends house. His dad is a builder by trade, and on the side he salvages trees from the building lots and has them sawn up for lumber. I've bought beautiful clear air-dried cherry from him before. So I told him that I had a hundred bucks for him and to just tell me when to stop pulling wood from the pile. Mostly cherry, but also grabbed a couple boards of spalted maple. The van was groaning when I left. Neither one of us ever did bother counting out board feet. That's the kind of dealing I like. He's happy, I'm happy, and we both figure we got a good deal.

So no sawdust this weekend, but still lots done.

...art

ps: just for fun - here is a photo of what I built out of the last piece of spalted maple he gave me.

Matt Meiser
07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Saturday my daughter and I ran a couple errands, then my wife came home from work and we ran some more errands. Sunday I cut the lawn then tried to make some bowls for a couple hours. Not too much else as my back is still sore from pulling something on the 4th.

Karl Laustrup
07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Dennis.

No sawdust, but a lot of thinking about making some. Trying to prioritize my projects.

Played golf Saturday and Sunday morning. Saturday afternoon was spent at Circus World Museum in Baraboo. Used to be the winter quarters for the Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey Circus back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Our bank had customer appreciation day so we got in for free and the bank also provided a lunch. Had a good time, but it was hot and humid.

Sunday was just goof off after golf and watch the Chicagoland Cup race. Junior didn't do anything spectacular but moved up to 3rd in the points.

We also got some much needed rain late yesterday afternoon. Only a couple of tenths, but at the point we're at every little bit helps.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Saturday...got up at 0100 and drove the wife and MIL to the airport in Spokane. Did a little body work on the wife's Accord enroute. Saturday afternoon, played in the shop a little and napped a little.

Sunday......a little shop time, watched a little Nascar and mowed the lawn Karl!

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I can't find the reply buttons!! But then Web Sense had me blocked and I had to do a Google search and enter that way!! But it looks like I have unlimited access instead to 90 minutes. Hmmm......
I watched the Tour Sat am, then went after an elusive piece of software, then got a haircut. Spent an hour or so cleaning out most of the sawdust from the shop.
Sunday I worked in the shop most of the day. Got the contactor wired in and installed for the cyclone. Still working on the method for how to turn the contactor on and off. I've got a separate thread going for that question. Most of my time in the shop was just sitting there listening to good music, and deciding how I wanted to do the contactor set up.
Have a great week! Jim

Don Baer
07-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Spent most of the weekend cleaning and throwing out 19 years worth of accumulated junk. Just getting ready for the move. LOML asked me to make here a new paper towel holder for the kitchen in the new house similar to the one she has in the kitchen here. The one she has is made of pine and since I had some oak laying around I wipped this one together. Just needs to be sanded and finished. The dowel is hand turned from the same material ...:D. Not fine wood working but a fun little project.

Mark Pruitt
07-10-2006, 12:05 PM
More progress on the workbench. Hogged out a few mortises, then looked at the dry fit one more time and decided I didn't like the bearer rails, so I got some 8/4 hard maple and prepped it to make new ones. The downside to building from my own design is that I do make changes like that and wind up spending more time than I should. Oh well, just a hobby--if this was how I earned a living I'd starve! Also had a crazy time with my belt sander at one point (posted here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39398)).

The weather was a little nicer here this weekend, so I bought a blue hydrangea and planted it outside where a leland cypress had died on me last year. That hydrangea has some of the most beautiful, huge blossoms! I just hope that the critters will leave it alone.

Joe Mioux
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Worked until 4:00 on Saturday. Went home and continued with cleaning the water in the water gardens.

On Sunday, mowed the yard, continued with water gardens cleanup, then Christina (the 6 year old) helped my plant a garden. Yea Yea it is late but I will still get some tomatoes and peppers. Also planted some herbs. She had fun. While I had the tiller out, I started breaking up soil in the fence row. I am trying to get a "park-like" setting established under the big trees.

Joe

Jerry Strojny
07-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Saturday - bought 60 bd ft of alder for the next project after I finish some shelves. Saturday night LOML and I are part of the Marriage and Family Life Commitee at church, we had a meeting for that. Sunday, got some shop time to work on the shelves. Edged glued a few boards, extended one too. It's amazing how long it can take to plane a couple of boards, joint some edges and then glue. (Especially with a limited number of clamps....i always seem to need more, even after I buy more!) After the downpour of rain, I cleaned out the gutters. I know, I know, I did that backwards, but hey I can finally say it's done. It was pretty bad, we have very prolific sugar maple that annoys half the neighborhood. I love the tree, just can't stand cleaning the gutters. Oh well, I better get used to it. I and the tree aren't going anywhere soon.

Ron Blaise
07-10-2006, 1:03 PM
I met with Chris Wyse Saturday in Tennessee & bought his drum sander. They were very nice folks and I enjoyed talking with them. He's got one of those beautiful Tennessee mountain driveways that you can fall out of if you ain't real carefull :D I worked on assembling my book cases, got one done and working on the second. Should have them ready for finishing soon.
Happy sawdust folks,

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 1:17 PM
No shop time this weekend....mowed the grass on Saturday, did a little backhoe work to remove some small stumps as a "learning process" before I even try for a couple larger ones...too Dr. SWMBO (and the urchins) out for dinner on Saturday night for Dr. SWMBO's birthday. Sunday, we went to a small swim party in upper Westchester Co NY with some other families who adopted kids from the same Internat (boarding school) as our girls came from. That trip was a trial run for our upcoming vacation to Maine...thank goodness for portable DVD... ;)

Robert Mayer
07-10-2006, 1:44 PM
This is going to be the top to a coffee table for my living room. This thing should be awesome looking when its done. The top is going to be this solid figured purpleheart and the lower part is going to be solid walnut. I going to bandsaw some nice curves in the legs and use m&t joints for joining it together.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193758/Picture.jpg

David Duke
07-10-2006, 1:50 PM
Helped my SIL move Saturday, Sunday went to my neices birthday party then finally got some shop time in yesterday evening and almost got my sharpening station complete.

Mark Pruitt
07-10-2006, 3:04 PM
This thing should be awesome looking when its done.

Robert, I think it's pretty awesome already. Can't wait to see the end result.

Joe Marotta
07-10-2006, 3:34 PM
I made great progress on assembling and adjusting my table saw this weekend. Hopefully after I mow the lawn tonight I will be able to finish adjusting, attach the motor, and fire her up!

I also got a chance to go see a woodworking demo at a local furniture store. Once a month, the store invites a craftsman to come an demonstrate his craft. This month was bowl turning. Here is his site:

http://www.abhats.com/WaltsBowls.htm

A really neat guy and a wonderful way to pass a few hours.

Ryan Ricks
07-10-2006, 4:43 PM
Not exactly woodworking related - travelled home from vacation. I think the grin on my face explains it all.

-Ryan

John Timberlake
07-10-2006, 6:42 PM
Mowed the grass (2 acres), till the vegitable garden and put down straw, cleaned the shop and help my wife clean the garage. Then I made legs out of 2" walnut for a table our club is donating to a raffle. Finally, a teacher friend of LOML is getting married so I turned a beech bowl for a present (posted in turning section).

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 6:58 PM
Shop-wise, I started out the weekend discovering my Shop Vac had a dead power switch. Since I can't function in my DC-free shop without the Shp Vac, I did some running around and bought a new one. Actually, I bought two. I wanted to compare the noise levels between the yellow series and the blue series. Blue won, and the yellow one will go back to the store in a day or two. When time permits, I'll replace the broken switch on the old vac and use it as a second sucker to save myself a bit of dragging around of the vac from one tool to the next.

After getting the vacuum situation handled, I spent part of Saturday and Sunday cutting and mortising various pieces for a viking bed I'm building for my new BIL. The shop was hot this weekend (95° +), so I went through a lot of iced tea and water. I've really enjoyed using SketchUp (even with my meager beginner skills) to figure final fit and dimensions for each piece of the bed. (It was also a welcome relief to get out the heat and go in the house to check or revise things on the computer.) Also turned a nice burl pen for the friend who handled the DJ duties at our recent wedding reception.

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
07-10-2006, 7:08 PM
Not exactly woodworking related - travelled home from vacation. I think the grin on my face explains it all.

-Ryan

That's okay Ryan. Over here on the west coast I think that the fisherman call that a woodfish.

Ed Breen
07-10-2006, 7:09 PM
A quiet weekend. Signed up for high speed at home on satellite! Cleaned off the top of my bench. Had an "old iron" afficianado from Owasso come over and relieve me of the two rusty machines (drill press and saw) traded a nice reconditioned eggbeater drill. Ordered two gallons of paint for my downed maple. Tried to keep my 5 year old grandson out of the footing forms behaind the house./He's five, but I also have three older married grandchildren in Nebraska plus an 11 year old in Oklahoma./ Took some gloat pictures to be released tomorrow of some saws and rulers found in our old crib.
Sold my son in law back his 7mm mag. that I've held for ransom for $200.
All in all a fine weekend!
Ed;) ;) ;)

Mark Rios
07-10-2006, 7:11 PM
This is going to be the top to a coffee table for my living room. This thing should be awesome looking when its done. The top is going to be this solid figured purpleheart and the lower part is going to be solid walnut. I going to bandsaw some nice curves in the legs and use m&t joints for joining it together.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193758/Picture.jpg

Holy pacheebies Robert, that is really, really nice.

Ben Grunow
07-10-2006, 9:50 PM
Finished plumbing, HVAC and electrical work on my house renovation in preparation for Monday rough inspections. THis is a major milestone of a 14 month process (so far) of adding an addition, second and third floor rooms, 3 new baths and a 2 car garage with shop in back. I passed all 4 inspoections and it's time for the itchy stuff. Perfect b/c it's supposed to be 90+ this week end. I did get to go out on the boat with son and SWMBO for a little while. Good weekend.

Alan DuBoff
07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Mostly got this little electrolysis tank setup and going.

My trickle battery charger wouldn't work properly for me, so I found this one on craigslist which will start a car with a dead battery (have wanted something that will do that for quite some time...little bonus).

(linky pic)

http://softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/ya-g89/electrolysis/cleaning_setup.jpg (http://softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/ya-g89/electrolysis/)

George Sanders
07-11-2006, 7:32 AM
I have been making some window trim for the house. I installed new sash and that led to new trim. I started making some handles for a couple of miter saws and at least now I can use them. My 10" ts saw is down as the aluminum pulley ate the mandrel. Maybe the local machinist can turn it down for me. My cheap HF planer ate the belt again and I have to order one. I will finish the trim today and get back to work on my hand tool cabinet.

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 8:28 AM
One successful wedding, which went over with No hitches on Saturday.

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
One successful wedding, which went over with No hitches on Saturday.

How can there be "no hitches" when a wedding is involved? I thought that was the general idea...get hitched! :D :D :D (Congratulations)

Ned Bulken
07-11-2006, 11:00 AM
How can there be "no hitches" when a wedding is involved? I thought that was the general idea...get hitched! :D :D :D (Congratulations)

Oh, ok, no Glitches then....
THanks! :D :cool:

Frank Pellow
07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I am home in Toronto for one of my brief visits this summer.

On the weekend, I tackled this overgrown vegetable garden:

and turned it into this:

Chip Olson
07-11-2006, 1:58 PM
Not as much shop time as I was hoping for, due to various factors, but I did finish building one upper cabinet and then built another one. Of course, they're going to need useful things like doors and shelves.

Our painter (a great guy) was impressed with the finishing job I did on the face frames. Nice to hear it from a pro. :-) I might post some pix of the newly-painted house when I get around to taking some.

Bruce Page
07-11-2006, 2:38 PM

-Ryan

Nice catch!

Here's your avatar.

John Shuk
07-11-2006, 7:49 PM
No shop time this weekend....mowed the grass on Saturday, did a little backhoe work to remove some small stumps as a "learning process" before I even try for a couple larger ones...too Dr. SWMBO (and the urchins) out for dinner on Saturday night for Dr. SWMBO's birthday. Sunday, we went to a small swim party in upper Westchester Co NY with some other families who adopted kids from the same Internat (boarding school) as our girls came from. That trip was a trial run for our upcoming vacation to Maine...thank goodness for portable DVD... ;)
Jim,
You were probably only about 15 minutes away from my house. I however was in Vermont. Hope you had a nice time. We did a weeks vacation at Smuggler's Notch in Vermont. Came home tired but had a great time. Great family resort by the way for all you Northeasters.

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 8:28 PM
You were probably only about 15 minutes away from my house.

We were in Mohegan Lake. One of our girls' former Internat (boarding school/orphanage) compadres lives there with her new family. (That girl now has 7 new siblings...big family!) Maine is where we are headed real soon now...including a visit with the SMC Abysserator, himself...as long as everyone is behaving well... ;)

John Shuk
07-11-2006, 8:46 PM
We were in Mohegan Lake. One of our girls' former Internat (boarding school/orphanage) compadres lives there with her new family. (That girl now has 7 new siblings...big family!) Maine is where we are headed real soon now...including a visit with the SMC Abysserator, himself...as long as everyone is behaving well... ;)
Yup thats only a little way from my house. Where in Maine you headed? Other than to the the Minister's house? I spend alot of time up there in the summer. Just don't expect to make much time on 95 on the weekend's.