PDA

View Full Version : slot head screws

David Rose
07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, I *thought* I wanted slot head screws. For LOML's blanket chest hinges, they seem appropriate. The chest is a modified 1760 chest with long strap hinges. We found some hinges we liked, removed the rust finish, then flame blued them. Popped in some handy brass screws and they look really out of place. The word is gaudy... Dropped in a square drive steel, and it looks the same (only different, of course) :eek:

Maybe it is years of gun work, but nothing sounds like it would look "right" except for flat head, slotted, steel screws with finish to match the hinges. I'm not arguing the virtues of head shapes. Obviously square drive blows away the competition on that.

I checked with Lee Valley, and they only had Phillips or square drive. Then I remembered McFeely's, though they are famous for square drive. And shore 'null, they don't carry slotted screws. :( I can get steel slotted screws through a gunsmith supplier, but they are really cheapies and will require head polishing before finishing. Is there a better source?

David

Larry Cooke
07-10-2006, 1:32 AM
David,

If it were me I'd probably head to my nearest hardware store, Ace in my case. If you're looking for an online source you might try this one:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/TWS.cfm

Larry

David Rose
07-10-2006, 3:15 AM
Larry,

I'll just have to try locally. The site you listed doesn't show steel, flat head slots either. Our Ace is gone, sadly.

Thanks

David

David,

If it were me I'd probably head to my nearest hardware store, Ace in my case. If you're looking for an online source you might try this one:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/TWS.cfm

Larry

Peter Mc Mahon
07-10-2006, 5:48 AM
You have probably already seen these but what about the pyramid headed screw at Lee Valley. Iron screw, slot head, and they look hand made. Peter

David Rose
07-10-2006, 6:18 AM
No, I've not seen these. I like their forged nails, which is the only thing I use for nails. I'll do further checking, if another offer does not pan out.

Thanks,

David

You have probably already seen these but what about the pyramid headed screw at Lee Valley. Iron screw, slot head, and they look hand made. Peter

Mark Pruitt
07-10-2006, 6:47 AM
Hit the BORG. They're notorious for carrying slot head screws.:rolleyes:

Frank Fusco
07-10-2006, 9:13 AM
VanDyke's.

glenn bradley
07-10-2006, 9:52 AM
I'll second Van Dyke's. They carry quite a bit of odd and hard to find stuff.

David Rose
07-10-2006, 5:14 PM
I forgot about VanDyke's. They dance all around the number(s) that I need in slotted steel without "hitting" it. :confused: Who woulda thought that hinge screws would be such a deal? :rolleyes: And maybe I'm making more of a deal of it than it should be. I just haven't seen much vintage furniture, but can't imagine square drive or Phillips on a 200 year old piece. ;) Maybe no one would notice. I've got a kit from McFeely's with the right size and material. And I love installing Robertson or square drive screws in steel. I'll probably pilot with them if I find slotty ones to leave in the holes.

I've got a possible offer of some from a fellow Creeker. Thanks so much! Then there is the borg to fall back on if necessary. And "having to polish the heads" is looking easier all the time. :eek:

Maybe I am trying too hard to look "vintage" when the product is not truly so anyway. It is cope and stick cut, but the original used rabbits and molding strips that gives the same applearance. I even used forged nails to attach the base where it doesn't show (unless upside down). Funny how you can get hung up on some things...:rolleyes:

David

Larry Cooke
07-10-2006, 6:15 PM
The site you listed doesn't show steel, flat head slots either. Our Ace is gone, sadly. Sorry David, guess I struck out twice there...

Larry

David Rose
07-10-2006, 6:56 PM
Not at all, Larry. Both suggestions were very good. Thanks for sharing them. I don't expect you to do the footwork for me. ...though I do ask for it sometimes... :rolleyes: No strikes, two balls... ;)

David

Sorry David, guess I struck out twice there...

Larry

Marc Gélinas
07-10-2006, 9:17 PM
Just Checked quick at McMaster Carr, I think they have what you'll need in several materials, ie stainless, brass, steel etc, flat and slotted.

Ben Grunow
07-10-2006, 9:28 PM
Could you use brass rivets and let them tarnish or maybe a bolt with a slotted head? You could hide the nuts under a dutchman or plug? Maybe too far from "feel" of the chest but maybe not. Just a thought.

Brad Knabel
07-10-2006, 10:43 PM
It looks like there's a Fastenal retail store in Fayetteville. They have a wide selection of slotted screws listed on their web site. It might be worth a call to see if they would have the screws you need at the local store. Good luck!

David Rose
07-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah, Brad, and it's just down the street. I haven't made it in there yet, but it is calling my name. Thanks!

David

It looks like there's a Fastenal retail store in Fayetteville. They have a wide selection of slotted screws listed on their web site. It might be worth a call to see if they would have the screws you need at the local store. Good luck!

Ken Werner
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
David, what sIze and how many do you need?

I have a fair amount of screws, maybe we can get lucky.

Ken

David Rose
07-11-2006, 1:41 PM
Wow, Ken! Another Creeker steps in to fill a need. You guys are great. Thanks so much! Alan Turner is checking for me right now. And I still haven't had time or opportunity to check on the last couple of suggestions. I need a minimum of 18 (strap hinges) #4s x 5/8". Let me get through the other sources first, but I might take you up on it.

David

David, what sIze and how many do you need?

I have a fair amount of screws, maybe we can get lucky.

Ken