PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Jet 1236 Lathe

Roy Wall
07-09-2006, 11:56 PM
This lathe is for sale in my area. A few years old and maybe only 4 spindles turned on it....

I believe it comes with a 6-8 pc. set of Freud turning tools......probably the basics.

Just wondering your thoughts on this lathe. I was considering a NEW Jet or Rikon type "MINI"......but this could be had for about the same price.

Pros - Cons, Bang for the buck, etc....

And yes......I would be a Newbie Turner........but will try to be defiant against assimilation.:confused:

Thanks all!!!

Travis Stinson
07-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Roy, try as you might, there's no fighting it!:D
I've owned both the 1236 and the Jet mini, and IMO, the mini is a much better lathe for the money. When (not if) you decide to upgrade, you will keep the mini on hand.;)

Jeff Moffett
07-10-2006, 8:49 AM
Roy,
I have a brand new Jet 1442 lathe for sale in your area. See this link for more info: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38360.

You'll probably upgrade to it eventually! :)

Scott Coffelt
07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Roy,

I got this lathe and think it is a fine unit. Not sure why a mini would be better, since this has more capacity, power, etc. I would say that when it comes to lathes if you get hooked and want to basically turn bowls all the time, then this will not be enough. If your like me and prefer furniture to turning and want the ability to access a good lathe from time to time, this will more than fit the bill. Not sure of the price your getting quoted, but I paid $250 for my slightly used lathe.

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Roy, you didn't say how much, but the 1236 is a pretty standard design and will work fine for many turning tasks. If the price is right, it should be a good deal.

Roy Wall
07-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry I didn't mention the price - I believe he's asking $350......

Since the JET MINI is $250ish NEW........this lathe entered the picture.

Scott, I do prefer furniture work - so you make a good point. Perhaps a USED MINI is all I need and only eat up 3' of top bench space. Our fellow KC CREEKER Steve Roxberg alerted me of this 1236 lathe.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Roy, I own the 1442VSK. I have seen the 1236 up close and personal and for the kind of money I think you are talking about ($350 to $400) it isn't a bad deal; however, if you can scrape up the extra for Jeff's 1442VSK (he lists it as a VS but unless I'm mistaken the cast iron legs make it a VSK)it is a far better deal and I believe you would be much happier in the long haul. That being said the 1236 is a great buy when compared with a mini or midi in the terms of capacity. Jet is good stuff. :) I just read your previous comments and would still recommend the 1442 or the 1236. The extra length may come in handy for longer furnature spindles and besides once the bug bites...well you're falling head-long into the Vortex.

George Summers
07-10-2006, 5:38 PM
Sorry I didn't mention the price - I believe he's asking $350......

Since the JET MINI is $250ish NEW........this lathe entered the picture.

Scott, I do prefer furniture work - so you make a good point. Perhaps a USED MINI is all I need and only eat up 3' of top bench space. Our fellow KC CREEKER Steve Roxberg alerted me of this 1236 lathe.

The infamous Harbor Freight 34706 is a darn good clone of the Jet 1236. When on sale (several times a year) it goes for $180ish new (I bought mine used with several chucks and faceplates thrown in for $150). I don't see where the Jet is worth $350, but I do see where the HF is worth $180. At $180, if and when you trade up, keep it, it will do everything the mini does.

George

John Shuk
07-10-2006, 9:51 PM
I just sold a 1236 and it is a fine lathe. I bought it used and got a fair price. I think in the end tho that a Jet mini is built better for the money. I don't think you would regret the mini purchase at all. It sure takes up alot less real estate for not much sacrifice in capacity. If I had a mini I would have kept it. I'm a little sour on HF right now. I went to the store in Albany, NY this weekend and bought the 1inch band sander. What a hunk of junk. It is going back and I'll be spending a few more bucks on something I can actually use.

Dominic Greco
07-10-2006, 9:52 PM
Roy,
I previously owned a Jet JWL-1236 for several years before upgrading to a Jet JWL-1642EVS. I've turned everything from bowls to pens to bottle stoppers on this lathe. I think that I have a good handle on the pros and cons of the Jet JWL-1236.

While the Jet 1236 is an adequate starter lathe, I would recommend purchasing a Jet Midi with a bed extension rather than going with the Jet JWL-1236. These new midis (Delta/Jet/Rikon) are not flimsy built lathes. They are nicely designed, featured cast iron beds and headstocks. And can be outfitted with an enormous amount of accessories.

To put this in perspective, I also have a Delta Midi and was really surprised at the power of this "little" lathe. It's performance was almost identical to the 3/4 HP motor used in my Jet JWL-1236. And look at the capacity difference. The 1236 says that it can turn a 12" bowl, while the midi can turn an 8" (I "think" thats the max). To this I say, "Big deal". I would have to say that 95% of the bowls I sold (or gave out as gifts) were 8" and under.

From my experience, the Jet JWL-1236 suffers from problems in several key areas.

The 3/4 HP motor is not enough for a lathe his size. They should have gone to 1 HP or at least 1 1/2HP.
The headstock tends to become misaligned if you pivot it (and sometimes even if you didn't).
The cast iron tool rests on some earlier units (like the one I had) had porosity problems and were prone to cracking.
The banjo for outboard turning had the same problems (why anyone would try to turn outboard on a Jet 1236 using that banjo is beyond me! What a poor design!).
The bent metal stand is very light and requires the addition of some type of internal bracing to make it less so. I added plywood panels and a internal shelf to hold ballast to mine.
The Reeves drive is not well designed and features pot metal variable width sheaves. Unless they are maintained, they have a tendency to bind in place. I had to clean and lubricate the Reeves drive with dry film silicone lubricant on a bi-monthly basis in order to avoid problems.

That's pretty much it. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.