PDA

View Full Version : BEEP BEEP !! Roadrunners coming.....

Tony Falotico
07-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Just found out cable arrived down our street and I'm getting Roadrunner Internet installed. DSL is still unavailable and Dial up is getting slower and slower.

Ran the wiring from outside my house to a flush wall mounted connector in the office / computer / exercise room today (they will install but won't fish wires through walls). I'm converting a 7 foot by 2 foot closet with a five foot folding door into a built in desk / computer table / book shelf / storage area by adding a counter top / drawers and shelves. Will post pics when I get it finished (may be a couple weeks). They said it would be 1 or two weeks until they get the line run from the road to the house (that was last Monday).

Can't wait, I'm tired of waiting on dial up..............

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 3:22 AM
I'm on a DSL line, but either DSL or cable...you'll love the speed improvement. Congrats on getting the broadband hookup.

- Vaughn

Rob Russell
07-10-2006, 9:41 AM
I wouldn't bother fishing wires - just go wireless. The wireless routers are significantly faster than the broadband connection, so you don't have to worry about the wireless connection being a bottleneck.

Tony Falotico
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't bother fishing wires - just go wireless. The wireless routers are significantly faster than the broadband connection, so you don't have to worry about the wireless connection being a bottleneck.

:confused: Rob, Be it wireless or not, I still have to get a cable in here somewhere, Don't I ?? Or are you proposing a wireless router in the attic ?? Can it handle the heat up there ?? Kinda confused :confused:

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 2:15 PM
Tony, you want the wireless router/firewall in "conditioned" space...the heat of your attic would kill it very nicely. So, yes, you need RG6 from the demark to where you want the cable modem and router to reside.

John Miliunas
07-10-2006, 6:04 PM
Ahhhh...You're lucky, Tony! Congrats! :) I checked with our Telco out here (Verizon) and they said, "Most certainly coming. Just as soon as we become a suburb of Chicago." The cable company was a bit more definitive: Absolutely by the fifth Tuesday of next month! :o Figure I'll hold off running the cable for now. :( :cool:

Tony Falotico
07-10-2006, 6:28 PM
Tony, you want the wireless router/firewall in "conditioned" space...the heat of your attic would kill it very nicely. So, yes, you need RG6 from the demark to where you want the cable modem and router to reside.

that's what I thought Jim, thanks for verifying......... the cable company supplied the cable and I ran from the agreed upon demark point to a box in my wall.

BTW: how much wireless can you have before it begins mixing (or explodes :D ) router , keyboard, mouse, speakers, plus wireless telephones and wireless headphones ?? Yes, I want to eliminate every wire possible :) :)

John, the local telephone company (Bellsouth) has been telling me "any day now" for over three years...... I tried to call them last week find the status and couldn't get a live person, just the recorded 'High speed Internet is not available at this number, please check back soon' message, Well, the cable company beat them, to bad, so sad, now they can wait for me to 'check back soon'. How are you doing John, hope your recovering well.

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 9:55 PM
BTW: how much wireless can you have before it begins mixing (or explodes) router , keyboard, mouse, speakers, plus wireless telephones and wireless headphones ?? Yes, I want to eliminate every wire possible

These are all different wireless technologies...none of those others should interfere with your 'net access, although you could get some other things to conflict if you try hard enough!

Some things are not the best candidates for wireless outside of convenience...speakers, for example. ;)