PDA

View Full Version : It Sucks!!!

Julio Navarro
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
And how!

I just powered up my Pentz cyclone that Ive been working on for the last 3 months and boy does it SUCK!

I ran two 6" metal duct branches but have not yet attached the hoses down to a machine but I could not wait to wire it up so I ran the power line to the circuit breaker. After a little bit of confussion and two main breaker trips shutting down all power (I wired the red and white together..big boo boo:mad:) I finally wired it properly and hit the switch and it hummed up a storm!

That machine has got some power! I put my hand up to one of the duct openings and it nearly collapsed from the vacuum pressure (the duct, not my hand)!

Well, I am ecstatic so I'll calm down a bit and go take some pictures of it.

I'll post them soon.

Corey Hallagan
07-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Congrats Julio, I need to get one of those set ups but I just don't know where I would put it!

Corey

Allan Johanson
07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Congrats Julio! You'll love it. It's quite the machine.

Cheers,

Allan

Larry Cooke
07-10-2006, 1:42 AM
Congrats Julio! I need to get my Clearvue setup... Seems like there's always something a little more important to do though. Can't wait to see the pics!

Larry

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-10-2006, 3:48 AM
...........That machine has got some power! I put my hand up to one of the duct openings and it nearly collapsed from the vacuum pressure (the duct, not my hand)!

Geez, don't stick you head anywhere near that duct! :eek:

Well, I am ecstatic so I'll calm down a bit and go take some pictures of it.

I'll post them soon.

Sorry, no pics, it didn't happen! :D ;) :D

Glad to hear you got it sussed, I'm sure you will enjoy having it for a long time to come!

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 4:28 AM
And keep an eye on the cat, too. ;)

Congrats on getting things up and running Julio. Glad to hear it sucks.

- Vaughn

Julio Navarro
07-10-2006, 9:54 AM

I dont think I would lose anything very valuable even if I did!:D

Julio Navarro
07-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Heres the cyclone all set up, I built the stand from a scavenger episode with parts from a folding tent someone threw away. Its very sturdy.

This is the transition (evolution) from 4x9 to 6" dia, its made from 18gau and was a bear to bend.

The duct work is prob 26 gau hvac duct work from the BORG, ...I know, I know, but its all I could afford for now, I needed to run something and at 7.83 for a 6' 6" duct its affordable. I will re duct the entire system as soon as I get a nice infussion of cash.

This is the 1st 90 bend, I was pleased to see the garage door track put to good use. As you'll see in the next pic I had to reset the garage door closer to stop a few incehs from the duct.

Heres another 'no no' I know some will scoff at, but again, the price for a true wye is almost $90 from a supplier, the "t" from the BORG was 10 bucks. Till I can re-duct it will have to do. Even with the sub standard connections it sucks up a storm. It does, however, pain me to know that I had to use inferior duct so I will endeavor to upgrade very soon. (there is a cap on the end of the second "t" it will service the sander when I install the proper run.)

This branch will feed a down duct to the jointer, CMS, Bandsaw, BP, RT and mortiser. (you can see stack of plywood suspended from the ceiling, its not for the shop, its the plywood for the windows when we get our beloved hurricanes)

I will be building my own gates soon.

I am waiting for the remote switch from Amazon to finish the cyclone installation. I am using the "Long Ranger" 220v remote. It should arrive tomorrow or Wed.

John Miliunas
07-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Heres the cyclone all set up, I built the stand from a scavenger episode with parts from a folding tent someone threw away. Its very sturdy.

This is the transition (evolution) from 4x9 to 6" dia, its made from 18gau and was a bear to bend.

The duct work is prob 26 gau hvac duct work from the BORG, ...I know, I know, but its all I could afford for now, I needed to run something and at 7.83 for a 6' 6" duct its affordable. I will re duct the entire system as soon as I get a nice infussion of cash.

This is the 1st 90 bend, I was pleased to see the garage door track put to good use. As you'll see in the next pic I had to reset the garage door closer to stop a few incehs from the duct.

Heres another 'no no' I know some will scoff at, but again, the price for a true wye is almost $90 from a supplier, the "t" from the BORG was 10 bucks. Till I can re-duct it will have to do. Even with the sub standard connections it sucks up a storm. It does, however, pain me to know that I had to use inferior duct so I will endeavor to upgrade very soon. (there is a cap on the end of the second "t" it will service the sander when I install the proper run.)

This branch will feed a down duct to the jointer, CMS, Bandsaw, BP, RT and mortiser. (you can see stack of plywood suspended from the ceiling, its not for the shop, its the plywood for the windows when we get our beloved hurricanes)

I will be building my own gates soon.

I am waiting for the remote switch from Amazon to finish the cyclone installation. I am using the "Long Ranger" 220v remote. It should arrive tomorrow or Wed.

Julio, that should work super but, I'm thinkin' that for the cyclone to work to its full capacity, you should put it upright instead! :D Here 'ya go:

Allan Johanson
07-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi Julio,

There's nothing really wrong with that pipe, just that "T" which can be really nasty. My local Borg has both a "T" and a "Y" in 6", but I guess not all do.

For the snaplock pipe, just make sure the crimps are facing the right direction. No need to "upgrade".

Let me put it another way. For my Pentz cyclone with a 7" main duct using around 15' of Borg 28ga snaplock pipe (and a couple elbows), it was flowing around 1500cfm. Good enough for me. :D

Cheers,

Allan

Matt Meiser
07-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Looks good. How about making your own Y's? You need to cut a "fish mouth" on the branch and then trace the corresponding opening in the straight peice. Leave some tabs to pop rivet it together and then caulk the seam liberally. I haven't done this, but it seems like it would work.

You can also get them for about $26 each from Ken Craft Company (http://www.kencraftcompany.com/24_gauge_sheet_metal_wyes.htm) in Toledo, OH. They are local for me and are great to deal with.

Ron Blaise
07-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Just don't get your nose too close to the duct, might lose some brains ;)

Julio Navarro
07-10-2006, 1:34 PM
Julio, that should work super but, I'm thinkin' that for the cyclone to work to its full capacity, you should put it upright instead! :D Here 'ya go:

I knew there was something I missed!:p

Julio Navarro
07-10-2006, 1:42 PM
Looks good. How about making your own Y's? You need to cut a "fish mouth" on the branch and then trace the corresponding opening in the straight peice. Leave some tabs to pop rivet it together and then caulk the seam liberally. I haven't done this, but it seems like it would work.

You can also get them for about $26 each from Ken Craft Company (http://www.kencraftcompany.com/24_gauge_sheet_metal_wyes.htm) in Toledo, OH. They are local for me and are great to deal with.

Matt, I might just do that. I've been thinking about doing that with some PVC pipe, making a couple of wye's. I will let you now how it goes.

Julio Navarro
07-10-2006, 1:44 PM
Just don't get your nose too close to the duct, might lose some brains ;)

At least I can find them in the chip bucket if they do get sucked up:D

Julio Navarro
07-10-2006, 4:03 PM

Matt: Great resource, I think I will go with these guys when I upgrade at least the wye's. Thanks a ton!

Mark Pruitt
07-10-2006, 4:12 PM
Julio, That just plain sucks.:p Congratulations on getting 'er up 'n runnin'....:D