PDA

View Full Version : Okay!!!...It's partly your fault....what did I buy?????

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 9:14 PM
What is this plane?

Did I buy something that I can use?

I only paid a total of $17.50 shipped so if I did something stupid it's not the end of the world. If I DID do something stupid by buying it, you can say it, don't worry about it. It won't be the last time. :D :D :D

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Mike Wenzloff
07-09-2006, 9:33 PM
Looks like you did just fine--nearly gloatable in fact. Good job!

All together now, "Slip slidin' away..."

Take care, Mike

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 9:35 PM
Looks like you did just fine--nearly gloatable in fact. Good job!

All together now, "Slip slidin' away..."

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike, that is sincerely encouragring.

But.....WHAT DID I BUY????? I honestly don't have a clue, other than it being a hand plane, of course. :rolleyes:

Mike Weaver
07-09-2006, 9:56 PM
Thanks Mike, that is sincerely encouragring.

But.....WHAT DID I BUY????? I honestly don't have a clue, other than it being a hand plane, of course. :rolleyes:

Mark,

It looks like a #4 smooth plane to me. If the blade is 2" wide and there's a Stanley mark anywhere, it's VERY likely a #4.

If it's another manufacturer (like Millers Falls or Sargent), I can't help with the model number, but the function will be the same. (they are fine as well).

Actually, the more I think about it, it looks Stanley to me because of the depth adjustment wheel.

As for vintage, I'm not so versed in that, but I thik it might be a later model with painted hardwood knob & tote - judjing from the shape of the tote (instead of rosewood).

If the lettering on the levercap is orange and the hold in the levercap is kidney-shaped, it's definitely a "later, rather than early" model.

In any case, should be a great user. Enjoy.

Hope that helps,
-Mike

John Miliunas
07-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Uhhhhhh....Mark, hate to break this to you but, you got ripped off! :( That poor old tool doesn't even have a power cord on it! Heck, I can't even spot a place for a battery pack! :rolleyes: Better luck next time! :D :cool:

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Uhhhhhh....Mark, hate to break this to you but, you got ripped off! :( That poor old tool doesn't even have a power cord on it! Heck, I can't even spot a place for a battery pack! :rolleyes: Better luck next time! :D :cool:

Damn!......Seeeeee....I TOLD you I was a bonehead. Maybe I can modify it and get some power to it somehow.

Thanks for the help John.

:D :D :D

Doug Shepard
07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Damn!......Seeeeee....I TOLD you I was a bonehead. Maybe I can modify it and get some power to it somehow.

Thanks for the help John.

:D :D :D

Nice score, but while you're at it you'd better add a vac port too. It's either that or upgrade to a Festool hand plane.:D

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice score, but while you're at it you'd better add a vac port too. It's either that or upgrade to a Festool hand plane.:D

Can you use one of the EZ Smart Guide things with that? ;)

Doug Shepard
07-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Can you use one of the EZ Smart Guide things with that? ;)

Sure. Right after the addition of a digital shaving thickness readout.:D

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Sure. Right after the addition of a digital shaving thickness readout.:D

HEYYYYY.....now that's a good idea. I could use one of those.

:D