PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in the Shop

W Craig Wilson
07-09-2006, 6:51 PM
Does your dog put up with shop noise? How did you get him accustomed?

My most faithful friend succumbed this week to the heart disease that we'd been fighting for just over a year. Buddy would spend every waking moment at my side except when I went into the shop. He just couldn't stand the machinery noises. (He'd lay on a good guilt trip too, when I would spend too much time there.) Sometimes he would wander in if it were quiet but generally just stayed upstairs until I emerged.

I know that I will not be ready for another dog for quite a while, but I'm wondering if there is a way to "shop-break" a new pup. Sure would be great to share some of my hobby time with a best friend.

Paul Prescott
07-09-2006, 7:04 PM
My new dog got used to the noise very quickly. Problem is he likes to chew anything he gets his teeth on. If I drop something I have to grab it quick or chase him around. And he chewed a hole in the DC bag trying to get at a ball he dropped!

So - now I keep him out!

Steve Ash
07-09-2006, 7:43 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I fear the day I lose mine...she follows me everywhere and especially likes to be in the shop. Noise doesn't seem to bother her much and every once in a while she goes and lays in her kennel for some rest. Honey-Behr will find a hunk of wood and sit in a corner and chew on it so I'm always careful what I leave laying around on the floor.She even likes to sit by the pool on a hot day and just watch everyone in the water.

Good luck in finding another faithful companion.

John Miliunas
07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey guys, I know how nice it must be to have your friend(s) in the shop but, there are two main arguments I have against it: First and foremost, we need to remember that their hearing is much, much more acute than our own. Just as loud noises damage our hearing, it's even more concentrated for our four-legged friends. Secondly, many of these friends like to be close to their "masters" and one could easily trip over them, causing you and/or the pet physical harm. Or, if they are a "chewer", one never knows exactly where they may lay that stray 2x4 chunk, again creating a tripping obstacle. :eek: Another one, which comes to mind, especially pertains to our feline friends. They like to cuddle up to warm objects. As in possibly a warm motor from a recently used machine. Real possible for you to go back to that machine and fire it up....Let's not even go into the picture of that one! :( Just my .02..... :cool:

Doug Shepard
07-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I didn't have to train mine to cope with the noise. She was adopted as an adult and took to it pretty quickly. She finds a spot to lie down a respectable distance (6-10 ft) from whatever machine is running and doesn't seem bothered by it. I can vacuum right up to within a couple feet of her before she moves too. Now if I could just get her to relax with the whole fireworks/thunder/lightning thing ...

Frank Chaffee
07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, I know how nice it must be to have your friend(s) in the shop but, there are two main arguments I have against it: First and foremost, we need to remember that their hearing is much, much more acute than our own. Just as loud noises damage our hearing, it's even more concentrated for our four-legged friends!( Just my .02..... :cool:
WHAT WAZ THAT???

John Miliunas
07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
WHAT WAZ THAT???

Ahem, FRANK!!! TURN UP YOUR HEARING AIDS!!! :D :D :D :cool:

Tony Falotico
07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
First off Craig, sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Second thing, I'm with John on this one, it just seems a little dangerous to have the dog in the shop. It could get hit by a flying object coming out of a machine, but more than that, I would be afraid of tripping over it or dropping something on it and hurting the dog, myself or both of us. If your shop is big enough maybe, but not in mine. I prefer the little guy to wait outside or lay by the door. Just my opinion.

Steve Ash
07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Ahem, FRANK!!! TURN UP YOUR HEARING AIDS!!! :D :D :D :cool:

How can you tell Frank has hearing aids with all that long hair???

You brought up a interesting point John, I know that dogs hearing is very keen and I wouldn't do anything to ever hurt my pooch....but she really doesn't seem to mind any of the noises in my shop....maybe cause I never actually do anything in the shop.:D None of the tools make the loud report of a shotgun when I am hunting ducks/geese which she doesn't mind at all....she just looks skywards for falling birds and gives me that "missed again oh Mighty hunter look". But seriously she seems as if the noise that I make (tools) does not affect her at all....now cats....they don't seem to stick around for very long:eek:

Gary Herrmann
07-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I fear the day I lose mine...she follows me everywhere and especially likes to be in the shop. Noise doesn't seem to bother her much and every once in a while she goes and lays in her kennel for some rest. Honey-Behr will find a hunk of wood and sit in a corner and chew on it so I'm always careful what I leave laying around on the floor.She even likes to sit by the pool on a hot day and just watch everyone in the water.

Good luck in finding another faithful companion.

Steve, your girl looks like my yellow boy. He and the black boy want to come downstairs but they're both so needy that I'm worried I'd lose a digit due to their wanting to see what I'm doing. Hand tools is another thing. My pups have inhaled many a plane shaving.

The maine coon is a different kind of problem. He finds the most out of the way place and then walks across a piece that has drying finish on it after I've gone upstairs. Ever tried to get finish out of fur that has claws nearby?

I love my furry family members, but I keep them out of the shop when I run power tools or am doing any finishing. I do this for my safety and for theirs. If I was convinced the boogers would stay in the same spot in the shop, I might have a different opinion.

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Since my "shop" is outside, my two dogs lay around whereever they want to. My little girl dog is very affectionate (to me anyway) and she likes to come up and get some affection every once in a while. They take care of themselves as far as their proximity to the noise and tools. Also, they are not chewers, thanks goodness. :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 3:44 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog, Craig. You may be surprised to see how soon you're ready for another one. You'll know when the right one crosses your path.

Our two dogs stay out of the shop when I'm working, mostly due to space constraints. I really don't want them underfoot, although they tend to just go find someplace comfortable to lie down wherever they go with me in the house. Also, it's bad enough having me track sawdust into the house, I don't need the self-propelled dustmops doing it too. ;)

- Vaughn

Al Willits
07-10-2006, 8:51 AM
Seems it varies with each dog, our first Springer would stick her head between my legs to see what I was doing, while I was running a chain saw...scared the heck outta me.
Our latest GSP doesn't seem to like either the noise or smell of the garage and only briefly will come in.

I think I prefer the dog out of the shop, there's just to much for her to get in to.

I do get the "look" from her, and have to stop at times and just sit in front of the garage and watch the world go by (you know, the old guy thing) meanwhile petting that poor mistreated, ignored dog of mine...:D :D

btw, speaking of hearing aides, neighbor stopped by a few days ago and mentioned he'd spent close to $4,000 on his new hearing aide.
I asked him what kind it was.
And he said..... 4:30

Al who'll be here for the week with shows at 7 and 9pm...:D

tod evans
07-10-2006, 9:58 AM
craig, sorry about your loss.. my dogs where raised in the shop from pups they think planers and routers are normal. my old male is getting hard of hearing now but i sometimes wonder if it isn`t just selective hearing?
no dog will take the place of the one you lost but get a pup as soon as you can find one you`re attracted to by the time it`s grown and tought the ropes you`ll love that one too......02 tod

Robert Mickley
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I get tore up when I lose one.

My labs are always in or near the shop. The black is never far away. My chocolate female wonders a bit, till I have something to eat then she is right there!!!. I still have one of the pups from the chistmass litter and from the looks of it he is probably going to be #3.

When mine are in the shop they lay behind the woodburner out of the way. The pup still needs to learn some manners yet but he does ok for 7 months.

Steve
How do you keep that lab out of the water? thats not normal :D :D I let mine out in the morning and they are gone, down over the hill into the lake.

Bryan Somers
07-10-2006, 1:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss of Buddy, because I know how attached we get to them. We lost a female Lab of over 12 years this past winter.

I would agree with others that the shop is not a very safe place for them, and the last thing you would want is to stumble over them with a power tool in your hand. Their personallitys are as individual as ours, so while one would be content watching you from a corner another would be right under your feet trying to untie your shoes or chewing on the cord for your router (while your using it of course). If you must, introduce them to the shop slowly and for several months only if theres no power tool work going on.

I do agree with Vaughn that you'll be suprised at how fast you'll find another to tug at your heart.