PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some time to use the lathe.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2006, 5:30 PM
I finished rebuilding my lathe about 6 weeks ago and finally got some time to use it today. Made a nice funnel and managed to ruin another nearly complete bowl. :mad:

Funnel is ash, broken bowl is cherry. I finished the funnel after breaking through just for practice sanding and finishing. I used Watco which I like for this purpose.

At least I've got a pretty good feel for my bowl gouge and scraper now, and learned to cut a dovetailed recess for my chuck that holds good.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-09-2006, 6:22 PM
Looks like you had some good forms going there, Matt. Too bad about the funnel and breaker. Have fun with the next one, and I hope it's a success!

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2006, 6:28 PM
Matt looks like you had some nice form going there. Don't worry about the funnel because I have made my share. That is why I got the 7" double ended calipars. Since then I have not had one funnel. Keep'em coming.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2006, 6:29 PM
Yep......you got the funnel and broken bowl forms down! next...boxes, spindles and NEs! Glad to see you getting some lathe time Matt!

Matt Meiser
07-09-2006, 8:34 PM
I know its part of the learning experience. I would have started another one, but my back is still a little messed up and was starting to hurt after mowing the lawn and standing at the lathe so long.

I was really happy with the way the cherry bowl was turning out and was to the point where I thought I was in the clear. I was just trying to get the edge a little smoother and had a little more work to do near the bottom.

Corey Hallagan
07-09-2006, 8:39 PM
I don't do bowls but I turned a box this weekend and I managed to funnel the top on the first lid. part of it. To bad on the cherry, it was really looking good. Next ones will be better!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
07-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Ouch!!!

Ernie

Tom Sherman
07-10-2006, 3:39 PM
Matt it's too bad about the mishaps but at least you used them to good advantage practice with tools and finish. Good luck with the next one.

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 4:11 PM
Matt, good start...I wish I had a nickel for all of the ones that "got away"... ;)

BTW, reserve the dovetail recesses for platters and other flatter things that provide a lot of support for the recess. For bowls and vessels, a tenon (with a small shoulder) is stronger and better suited. If your blank isn't thick enough for you to comfortably work with a tenon, use a glue block of scrap to give you material to work with for the tenon without sacrificing the "good stuff".

Rich Stewart
07-11-2006, 9:05 AM
Cut off the bottom of the cherry and glue a hunk of the ash on and turn some more. I have a couple pieces that I went through the bottom. Just glued another piece of wood to the bottom and continued on. Some are even better looking than the original piece would have been. Try it.