PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pumps

Ben Werner
07-09-2006, 5:03 PM
Ok, so I want to be able to do large bowls and platters ect then I can grip in my chuck so I'm wondering about vacuum pumps. Many of you have bought them recently soo....

Are they something that would fufill my needs??
Where did you get them??
How much were they??
Are you satisfied??
And they are they only things to do NE stuff with right?

And seeing as I only have 2 yrs before college and then who knows how much turning I'll be doing until who knows when: Would it be worth the money to buy one??

Ben

Dominic Greco
07-09-2006, 5:57 PM
Ben,
You wrote:
"Are they something that would fufill my needs??"

I got along just fine using a jam chuck before I built my vacuum chucking system. In addition to the jam chuck, I also used a set of cole jaws (Jumbo Jaws) in my Talon to hold bowls while I finshed off the bottom. You might also want to look up a "Longworth Chuck" and see if that will help you out.

You wrote:
"Where did you get them?? How much were they??"

Surplus Supply of Nebraska (if I can find the URL, I'll add it to this reply later) sells reconditioned ones for 1/4 of the price of new ones. I got mine (a 220V model) for $89.99

You wrote:
"Are you satisfied??"
Yeah. I used it quite a bit since I built it 3 years ago. I also use the vacuum pump when I stabilize pen blanks.

You wrote:
"And they are they only things to do NE stuff with right?"

A vacuum chucking system IS really useful when finishing off the bottom of a NE bowl. But I used to use a jamb chuck before. It might take longer, but it DOES work.

Jim Sample
07-09-2006, 6:31 PM
Ben

here is the url or whatever for the Surplus Center in Lincoln, Ne. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005062006115650&item=4-1540&catname= these are new pumps that are surplus, are only 220 voltage and are priced right. The filter needed is on the same page. This will keep out most of the dust which is tough on pumps. I have had mine for about a year, it works great, I bought the Oneway rotary adapter and value kit.

I made my chucks from mdf board glued up in different sizes and used some sticky closed cell foam for sealers.

Jim:)

Ben Werner
07-09-2006, 7:06 PM
Thanks, I'm just a little concernd about the price between the pump itself and then all the accesories... though I think in the magazine theres an article about that stuff....
Dominic– So if I get jumbo jaws they should suffice? Now that Were onto the subject of jumbo jaws I have a barracuda 2 chuck system, heres the link, (towards the bottom of the page) http://woodenpost.com/products/lathe_accessories.htm and As you can see I could get jumbo jaws but only up to 7 in and I would like to do up to 12 inche bowls ect...
Would nova jumbo jaws fit and work on my chuck?? Personly it looks as if it would but I'm wondering what other ppl have to say about that.

Dave Wimmer
07-10-2006, 9:28 AM
Ben, Go with the vacuum system. Since I built mine, about a year ago, the "jumbo jaws" and jam chucks hang on the wall unused and I gave away my Longworth chuck. The vac system and homemade vac chucks do everything for me. With a used 220v pump and the vac adapter from Packard, and everything else it cost me about $150. If you have an air compressor, there is a new venturi system on the market that works well.
I don't remember the name but I've seen it in operation and it is absolutly silent. Can't say that about my vac pump.

Ben Werner
07-10-2006, 9:38 AM
ok... yeah I do have a compressor (well my dad really but...) do you have any idea how that works??

Rob Bourgeois
07-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Ben...
physics...Venturi principle.
The venturi system basically uses the quick rusing air from the compressor to suck in more air from another source. The moving air creates a low pressure area which draws in the air from the bowl thorugh a narrower tube. It the same prinicple in which you can empty a water bed or aquarium byusing your kitchen tap to pull the water from the aquarium or waterbed.

I just got a set of cole jaws. I rarely can turn a full swing bowl on my 12in lathe just because of the clearance issues. MOST cole jaws have a way of mounting a wood insert to expand the jaws capability. I am not familar with your chuck so I am unsure of this. The cole jaws have limitations( no natural edge bowls) but if you are on a limited budget its a good cheaper option until you can save up for a vac system.

Jim Becker
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I have an article on my web site that discusses a vacuum chuck system that you might find useful. I second the motion for looking at surplus pumps to save cost....mine is identical to the Gast pump that many folks sell for $400 and I paid $175 for it...and it was brand new, in the box, with a "GE" label on it.

Dominic Greco
07-10-2006, 9:30 PM
Dominic– So if I get jumbo jaws they should suffice?...Would nova jumbo jaws fit and work on my chuck?? Personly it looks as if it would but I'm wondering what other ppl have to say about that.

There is an article on Woodcentral that details building a set of wooden jaws for your chuck. The nice thing is that you can build them to fit any dia bowl, up to the capacity of your lathe.

That being said, I must be honest in saying that I too have shelved my jumbo jaws in favor of a vacuum chuck.

I feel it important to state that you should not be put off by the "cost" of a vacuum chucking system. The most expensive part is the vacuum pump. The rest was built for under $100. I built my own rotary union which is based on the one detailed by Al Crandall's article (featured in WoodCentral's Badger Pond archive). The components for the rotary union were all purchased from Lowes for under $25. I used PVC fittings for the vacuum bells and old mouse pads for he gasket materials. The fittings for my in line air filter were purchased at a local plumbing supply for about $25. I went a bit expensive on the in line air filter cause I purchased that at McMaster Carr. But I've heard of other people using cheaper and more efficient units. I've attached a link to another post I made here on SMC in which I detail my shop built vacuum chuck system (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23740). If you have any questions, please email me.

Andy Hoyt
07-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey Ben. As a high schooler I would imagine that $100 is a lot of money for you. It's a lot for me too. And I've been thinking some more about your issues since we first discussed it elsewhere.

Before sinking all your loose change into a Vac System or your time in a Longworth Chuck you might want to give a donut a shot. Simple to build and will only cost you a faceplate and some scrap plywood.

Click here (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/may_2006.html) to see some pics of one in action.

Brian McInturff
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Jim, just curious on which Gast pump you have that retailed for 400. How quiet is it and did it have a controller with it. I'm finally going to put one together for my 1018 but may want to use it for other purposes also. Just trying to figure out which is the best. I may also add a tank to mine at a later time figuring it would be good for stabilizing wood. Thanks, Brian