PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on pedestal

Larry Crim
07-09-2006, 3:00 PM
I need to make a pedestal that will be aprox 7" in dia, Question is, would you face glue up some flat stock ( I have some 10/4 available) or would you segment it in say 8 sides to start with, More worried with the appearance than the structural requirements.
Thanks
Larry

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-09-2006, 3:30 PM
Personally, larry, I'd segment it in staves unless you're going for a special effect. Face gluing is definitely simpler, but I think stave segmentation looks better if you're using a single species.

John Timberlake
07-09-2006, 9:45 PM
I agree with the segmenting, partly for looks and partly for weight. All depends on what the shape will be. Eight sides would probably be the right number.

Kenneth George
07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Awhile back a friend of mine who was building a house was doing the fireplace surround and mantle. Only problem was that he wanted two half columns on either side of the fireplace and even though he has a lathe he did not feel he had the skill to do this. As a favor I went over and helped him with it. We used staves and I turned two caps to hold it on the lathe and center it and then turned it for him. It came out very well and much better than a bunch of pieces face glued into a solid piece.

Ken

Larry Crim
07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Ok staves it is. thanks for all the advise, will post the pics when done
Thanks again
Larry