PDA

View Full Version : WELL.....I did it..........

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 12:07 AM
This morning I got a surprise in the mail. A customer that hadn't paid me for some work finally sent me a check. I had just written it off as a learning experience but, in the end, it came this morning.

Sooooooooo.......since I had already been looking to get the Veritas MKII (thanks to your suggestions) through Woodcraft, I went ahead and drove to my nearest store, about an hour one way, and got the MKII AND a LN 60 1/2. I called beforehand to make sure that they had one and I mentioned that they had it on sale. I was told that the sale was now off but if I was in fact going to drive the 60 miles to their store then they would give it to me at the sale price.

Sooooooooo.........Now I have my very own (first ? :D ) LN plane. OH....I feel so proud. :cool:

Now.........what should I do? I haven't yet taken it out of the sealed plastic bag. I now have the Veritas and some Japanese waterstones, with the white one being the finest grit that I have. (Don't know what the grit is but I use this white stone to put the mirror finishes on my chisels so it's very, very fine)

I humbly await your instructions into my indoctrination of the Neander ways.:o :o :o

Mike Wenzloff
07-09-2006, 1:30 AM
Hi Mark--get the thing out of the bag!

Ah, congratulations. Great plane, great honing jig. Hone the blade after you take a few swipes--which you will--and it will be ready to use. That's about all there is.

Next time you want to soften an edge, grab the bugger and with it set for a light cut, take a few swipes and with each pass slightly round over the edge.

Or, want a chamfered edge? learn to use an extended finger to hold the plane at an angle on the corner and take some wood off.

Do know that if you are use to the machined perfection of a router bit, leaving a surface fresh from a plane may be disconcerting. Don't let it bother you.

Take care, Mike

Derek Cohen
07-09-2006, 2:07 AM
Mark

Congratulations!

There is a ritual to follow when receiving your first LN plane. It is on their website, but I will summarise it here to save you the trouble of searching it out.

Take the plane apart, lay the parts on the floor, and orient them <I>precisely</I> North to South. Now lie down on your stomach so that you can eye ball them. You receive more karma if you are naked. The ritual consists of blowing kisses at the level cap, quietly chanting, "I love you LN .... I love you LN ..." Keep this up for at least 30 minutes or until you are foaming at the mouth, which ever last longer.

Then enjoy the shavings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-09-2006, 3:29 AM
The LN 60-1/2 turned out to be my 2nd LN purchase. I went to get an iron mitre plane which Woodcraft listed on sale on their site. Turns out it was a web-only sale -- and it was over when I got to the store. So I got a 60-1/2 and a 95 instead. I still think I should have gone for the 9, but I was so miffed at the time, I didn't get one.

Tyler Howell
07-09-2006, 6:23 AM
Tool Snob!!!
Welcome to the club.:cool:
You should use it and enjoy.
PS Derek is a very sick man:eek:

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 7:11 AM
Mark

Congratulations!

There is a ritual to follow when receiving your first LN plane. It is on their website, but I will summarise it here to save you the trouble of searching it out.

Take the plane apart, lay the parts on the floor, and orient them <I>precisely</I> North to South. Now lie down on your stomach so that you can eye ball them. You receive more karma if you are naked. The ritual consists of blowing kisses at the level cap, quietly chanting, "I love you LN .... I love you LN ..." Keep this up for at least 30 minutes or until you are foaming at the mouth, which ever last longer.

Then enjoy the shavings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Being one to participate fully in ritualistic society, I followed Derek's advice. I dug out my compass, made sure that the declination was set correctly and laid out the parts, one by one, precisely pointing North and South. I laid out the parts of my new LN AND the parts of my Stanley, just to make sure and try to please Karma. It's been pretty hot here today (over 100) and I was pretty sweaty but I got naked and laid down as instructed. I'm assuming that I get extra, EXTRA Karma points for coming up covered in dog hair stuck to my sweaty body? I only lasted 35 minutes because I my Australian cattle dog wouldn't stop licking me and I got too covered in dog saliva. The saliva was all over my face, among other parts, so I guess you could say that I was foaming at the mouth.

I hope I've now passed the LN initiation.

Thank you.

:D :D :D

Michael Cody
07-09-2006, 9:55 AM
Being one to participate fully in ritualistic society, I followed Derek's advice. I dug out my compass, made sure that the declination was set correctly and laid out the parts, one by one, precisely pointing North and South. I laid out the parts of my new LN AND the parts of my Stanley, just to make sure and try to please Karma. It's been pretty hot here today (over 100) and I was pretty sweaty but I got naked and laid down as instructed. I'm assuming that I get extra, EXTRA Karma points for coming up covered in dog hair stuck to my sweaty body? I only lasted 35 minutes because I my Australian cattle dog wouldn't stop licking me and I got too covered in dog saliva. The saliva was all over my face, among other parts, so I guess you could say that I was foaming at the mouth.

I hope I've now passed the LN initiation.

Thank you.
:D :D :D

Mark did you correct for true north vs magnetic north and what about dip error?:eek: I hope you pulled out your aviation maps to make sure you used the isogonic correction factor for your location (IE magnetic variation)... if you didn't you might have really screwed up your new LN tools. To compensate you have to do this all again on a true East/West line (don't forget variation/dip corrections) to undo the bad stuff you did then re-do the original stuff you did but correctly align the LN stuff this time with all the corrections. Of course you should verify your compass or have a current compass correction card for that compass so you know what you might need to change to get correct headings.

Just thought I would let you know.. this ritualistic stuff is very picky.

Jim Becker
07-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Congratulations! Nice acquisitions...and kudos to your Woodcraft for helping you out with the price. You'll really enjoy that plane...

Bart Leetch
07-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Congratulations on your Neanderthal tool snobbery.

Now only one thing left to do jump into the present day with a digital picture to prove it happened.

No picture it didn't happen.:D :eek: :D

Tyler Howell
07-09-2006, 11:01 AM
[quote=Mark Rios] I'm assuming that I get extra, EXTRA Karma points for coming up covered in dog hair stuck to my sweaty body?

No you get dog hair and saliva.
You sir are also on the "very Sick" list.:eek: :p

Ken Werner
07-09-2006, 2:21 PM
Mark-
WARNING WARNING

you have willingly stepped onto the slippery slope....
you have performed the initiation rites as prescribed by Derek C.
you are one of us now

today the 60 1/2

then one day, we'll see your name in the tabloids.....for selling granny's blue hair dye...to support your habit......

I'm Ken, and I'm a planeaholic

PS congratulations - you're gonna love that plane.

Mark Rios
07-09-2006, 3:09 PM
Mark-
WARNING WARNING

you have willingly stepped onto the slippery slope....
you have performed the initiation rites as prescribed by Derek C.
you are one of us now

today the 60 1/2

then one day, we'll see your name in the tabloids.....for selling granny's blue hair dye...to support your habit......

I'm Ken, and I'm a planeaholic

PS congratulations - you're gonna love that plane.

Well Ken, you are correct....a little bit. I've been looking around at planes on Ebay this morning. :D :eek: :D :eek:

Can you folks answer these questions please?

1) Why are there no LN or LV planes for sale? (Maybe the answer is obvious?)

2) Why would someone need $39+ to ship a Stanley 9 1/2, selling for $10, across the country? I just shipped a PC 333 sander, case and 130+ sanding discs by FedEx for $9+. Is he just trying to up his bottom line after the sale? I emailed him but I don't expect a response.;)

Mike Wenzloff
07-09-2006, 5:02 PM
Occassionaly a LN or Veritas plane hits the Bay. But in general, the people who buy and sell cannot get them cheap enough in order to make a sure profit. Many of the planes you see on the bay were dirt cheap.

Shipping is something people should pay attention to like you did. A block plane is about $3 to ship. Add a buck for a box and hassle and someone should ship such a plane for $5 or so.

Take care, Mike

Mark Rios
07-10-2006, 1:03 AM
Congratulations on your Neanderthal tool snobbery.

Now only one thing left to do jump into the present day with a digital picture to prove it happened.

No picture it didn't happen.:D :eek: :D

You're right Bart...and I apologize profusely for not following the picture posting rules.

My dogs have asked me to teacn them how to use my handtools. I have to explain to them that since they have no opposable thumbs they really won't get much use out of them.

Here you go.....

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-10-2006, 1:19 AM
Well Ken, you are correct....a little bit. I've been looking around at planes on Ebay this morning. :D :eek: :D :eek:

I do see LN planes for sale fairly regularly on eBay, but they go for 85%-110% of the list price, so I usually ignore them. Never bought one off eBay, but always good to know I could sell one there if I had to.

Michael Cody
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM

2) Why would someone need $39+ to ship a Stanley 9 1/2, selling for $10, across the country? I just shipped a PC 333 sander, case and 130+ sanding discs by FedEx for $9+. Is he just trying to up his bottom line after the sale? I emailed him but I don't expect a response.;)

The reason you don't see to many LN or LV planes -- it's numbers. Stanley has made planes for 150 or more years.. think of the numbers. LV & LN -- 25 years or less, plus they are not mass market planes like Stanley. Every time I go into an antique mall I marvel at the amount of "STUFF" the human race has made in the last 200 years!! It's awe inspiring if you think about it.

As to the shipping, lots of folks see that as "PROFIT" margin. It's ridiculous in one way, but if you do ship a lot of items you need to allow 1-2$ for materials if you count your time it can easily go up to 5$. I ship via USPS Priority mostly - boxes are free (my carrier delivers them to me, I order off the web site) and I use Paypal or USPS to do my own postage and schedule pickups by my carrier if I have a big bunch to ship, or just drop them off at the post office. But for packing and wrapping .. I charge 1.50$ per box for materials. I don't charge for time.