PDA

View Full Version : New Router Ordered

Ted Jay
07-09-2006, 12:00 AM
After much research and gong through other posts I decided on the:
TRITON 3-1/4 HP Router, Model TRC001 through Woodcraft, for a mere $215, compared to $350 retail. The only other lower price I found was $269 on Amazon and other sites. So I figured it was a good deal... maybe I shoulda bought two...... (be back in a minute)............ ohhhh honnnnney.......:eek: maybe not, I'll just leave well enough alone for now!!!
Then went to Amazon and ordered the Triton TGA001 Template Guide Kit bushings. Now I'm gonna have to make a table!

I'm going to need to buy a set of good quality flush bits with bearings up to 2 inches long .... any suggestions?
Has anyone heard of Woodline? They have a 6 Piece 1/2" Shank Flush Trim Set for $59. The price is good, but I'm not sure of the quality as I've never dealt with them.
I'm also looking at MLCS Top & Bottom Bearing Flush Trim/Pattern Bits
Any comments
Ted

OH... when it arrives I'll post a pic to satisfy the "authorities" of the validity of the purchase..:rolleyes:

Allen Bookout
07-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I have used the Katana bits form MLCS and they are good. I do not know about their regular line of bits.

I have some CMT forstener bits and they are very good. I do not have any of their router bits but would not hesitate to purchase them if the occasion arose.

I have a few Porter Cable bits from Home Depot and they seem good with the limited use that they have had. I have not used them long enough to know how long they hold up.

I have some bits from Infinity (www.infinitytools.com (http://www.infinitytools.com)) and they are real high quality. I am going to place an order with them Monday.

I have a few Whiteside bits and you cannot go wrong with them either.

I am sure that there are other good options also, but these are the only ones that I can attest to from personal experience.

Quality bits are expensive but really cut great. If you use them quite a bit the more expensive bits will probably cost you less in the end. If you are going to just use them occasionally the cheaper lines might be ok but just like drill bits, pretty soon they are just trash.

Corey Hallagan
07-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Excellent Gloat Ted... and I am glad you know it isn't official until the photos arrive :) Woodline, MLCS, Eagle and other catalog router bit companies have some good bits and when you can get them on sale are even better. They aren't whiteside bits but they are decent bits. Unless the set has what you are wanting.. I tend to buy router bits as I need them instead of having router bits I don't end up using. If the set has a couple straights, roundovers and cove bits in the sizes you would use then it is probably a good deal. Otherwise I would buy what I know I am going to use.

Corey

Brian Clevenger
07-09-2006, 1:25 AM
When I first built my router table, I bought a bargain set of 30+ bits. It didn't take long to wear out the bits that I use the most, and many from that same set have never been used. I found that it was a good gauge to teach me what bits I need, and I replaced those with Amana bits. I have also had very good results with Holbren bits, but I've only used the undersized plywood dado bits from them.

The WoodCraft $5 bits are decent, and I have several of those.

Ed Blough
07-09-2006, 1:33 AM
Ted
I bought one of the 33 piece sets of Woodline bits at one of the woodworking shows. The bits work as good as any other bit I have had.
I used the core box to flute about 560 feet of MDF and it cut as good on the last cut as it did on the first from what I could determine.

I bought the set because of the show price and it had many of the bits I find myself often using. I have also used Jeseda, Porter Cable, Freud, Whiteside and some Sears. With the exception of the High Speed steel bit from Sears I would say they all worked about the same.

scott spencer
07-09-2006, 7:16 AM
Congrats on your new acquisition Ted!

The Woodline bits are comparable to other imported value bits from MLCS, Price Cutter, Holbren, Woodcraft, Grizzly, etc. Not quite at the level of Whiteside, Freud, Eagle, CMT, Infinity, etc., but a good value depending on your usage needs. I'd suggest looking into the Holbren bits...they're as good as other value bits IMO and are usually less expensive. Great customer service too.

http://holbren.com/home.php

Ted Jay
07-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Congrats on your new acquisition Ted!

The Woodline bits are comparable to other imported value bits from MLCS, Price Cutter, Holbren, Woodcraft, Grizzly, etc. Not quite at the level of Whiteside, Freud, Eagle, CMT, Infinity, etc., but a good value depending on your usage needs. I'd suggest looking into the Holbren bits...they're as good as other value bits IMO and are usually less expensive. Great customer service too.

http://holbren.com/home.php

MAN.... You guys aren't helping out any:rolleyes: ...... you just gave me more choices to choose from:D
Looks like it's back to doing more research:D
Thanks
Ted

Bill Esposito
07-09-2006, 1:40 PM
I agree with others that if you're going to order an inexpensive bit you should consider Holbren. Additionally now that Brian sells Whiteside he'll match any price you find on those bits plus still give you free shipping.

Mark Pruitt
07-09-2006, 2:31 PM
That's one neat router. Wish that one had been available waaaaay back when I bought my plunge router. Congrats!

glenn bradley
07-09-2006, 6:01 PM
I have used MLCS' regular bits with good results. I'm not a professional so I have been unable to wear them to the point of needing sharpening in the year since I got them. They have a 2" flush bit and ship for free.

Jerry White
07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Congratulations on your new router, Ted! As far as the bits, refer to this recent post by SMC member Brian Gumpper

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39323

It looks like he handles the Holbren as well as Whiteside bits. He is also offering a SMC discount, if I read correctly.

Ted Jay
07-13-2006, 10:36 PM
OH... when it arrives I'll post a pic to satisfy the "authorities" of the validity of the purchase..:rolleyes:

Quoting Jackie Gleason:
If you have it and you know you have it, then you have it. If you have it and don't know you have it, you don't have it. If you don't have it but you think you have it, then you have it.

Well... I know I have it, and I'm holding it in my hands, and it is a thing to behold.... oh it may seem a little much at first, the bright color and all, the extra weightiness compared to the dinky Craftsman, but it is a thing of beauty....... AH 'TIS A GOOD DAY!!!

note: This follow up satifies the image authorities, Thank you!

Brian Gumpper
07-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Ted,

I assume you are going to mount it in a table? I hear it is the best router for topside bit changes. Let us know how it works out.

Mark Rios
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
I agree with others that if you're going to order an inexpensive bit you should consider Holbren. Additionally now that Brian sells Whiteside he'll match any price you find on those bits plus still give you free shipping.

May I ask a question here, please? Brian who?

Thanks.

edit: Nevermind...:o .....It' must be my first day......:o....I assume it's the Brian with the post just above mine. :D

Thanks anyway.

Allen Bookout
07-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Ted,

I don't have the same router but I have the same chair that it is sitting on if that accounts for anything.

Nice chair! And --- nice router also.

Allen

Ted Jay
07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
May I ask a question here, please? Brian who?

Thanks.

edit: Nevermind...:o .....It' must be my first day......:o....I assume it's the Brian with the post just above mine. :D

Thanks anyway.

Yes Mark that be him.... Mr. Gumpper

Brian, yea it will be for a table. Even for topside routing I like the plunge adjustment knob on the right handle. Twisting the knob lowers and raises the bit in one turn after you "pull in" the lock out.

Beside this router should feel at home in a table, being as it is from... "down under"

Chuck Hanger
07-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Ted,
Been reading for quite a while so I thought that it was time to do my first post. I think it was Scott Spencer that stated Holbren has the greatest customer service. Believe me there is no better anywhere. Just completed the purchase of some special bits (hard to find) but it was not a problem for Brian at Holbren. What a pleasure to do business with.
Happy routing with your new toy or should I say monster. :)
Chuck

Ted Jay
07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Ted,
Been reading for quite a while so I thought that it was time to do my first post. I think it was Scott Spencer that stated Holbren has the greatest customer service. Believe me there is no better anywhere. Just completed the purchase of some special bits (hard to find) but it was not a problem for Brian at Holbren. What a pleasure to do business with.
Happy routing with your new toy or should I say monster. :)
Chuck

Thank You Chuck, and may I say a big Welcome to The Creek.
now where is that whip and chair.................