PDA

View Full Version : Incra Router LS Positioner On TS Wing

Mike Goetzke
07-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Just set the positioner up today (somewhat a gloat - got it at Rockler's red dot price of $120). I have a new / once used P-C 4212 but at the price for the Incra I thought it was well worth it???? Will probably sell the 4212.

I had a few days to think about set-up. Did lots of searching and got great feedback from here and a couple other sites.

My router table is in the TS wing. Since the positioning of the guide block ended up it the middle of my CI wing I almost returned it. I then looked at the guide block and noticed it was made of two pieces held together with T-bolts. I then slid the guide block over and added a couple of those miter slot expanding blocks and set-up/removal is a breeze.

It took a while to set it up for my first half-blind dovetail but much was because of the newness of the tool. It actually came out better than the couple I made on the 4212.

Couple of questions for the experienced users out there:

1) When making the test cuts I cut into one of the base blocks:eek: . I then used the stop block - does everyone else use the stop-block?
2) The 90 deg sled wants to tilt forward when clamping the boards up - any solutions (besides having three hands)?
3) What type of clamp do you use to hold the boards to the fence?
4) Does it seem to take longer to make dovetails on this jig than a jig like the 4212 (or is it just my imagination/inexperience)?

Thanks,

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
07-09-2006, 5:14 AM
... Couple of questions for the experienced users out there:

1) When making the test cuts I cut into one of the base blocks:eek: . I then used the stop block - does everyone else use the stop-block?
2) The 90 deg sled wants to tilt forward when clamping the boards up - any solutions (besides having three hands)?
4) Does it seem to take longer to make dovetails on this jig than a jig like the 4212 (or is it just my imagination/inexperience)?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, I haven't done any dovetails with my Incra jig, and haven't really fully used the Incra template stuff, but I've done a few box joints, so I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1. The base of my 90° sled has router cuts in it. We could probably start a club. ;) I do use the stop blocks when they seem appropriate.

2. I've noticed the same "tippiness" in the 90° sled. I just make an effort to keep it flat and plumb when cutting.

3. I use some of the one-handed "quick clamps"...either Irwins or the new Jorgensen equivalent.

4. I don't have the 4212, but I have the Rockler DT jig. I've only done half-blinds with it, but I think if I were doing a bunch of drawers, the 4212-style jig would be a bit faster once you had it set up. I think for more intricate and decorative dovetails, the Incra would be the only choice between the two.

BTW, your mounting solution looks brilliant. I could have used that method before I added the full Incra TS-III rail setup to my TS/RT.

- Vaughn

rick fulton
07-09-2006, 9:28 AM
Mike -

Looks like you've found an excellent solution to a common problem of
tabletop contention between a tablesaw fence and an Incra router fence.

Your example dovetails look great. And as you noted, it is probably faster to use a DT jig if your going to make a lot of drawers.

Thanks for sharing.
rick

Guy Germaine
07-10-2006, 8:24 AM
Mark:

I think we've all done that. :rolleyes: It won't take you too long to "know" how far to go, and you won't hit them any more. (Also, they're replaceable)

On the right side of the sled are 3 fiber screws. The 2 outside screws are for adjusing the "play" in the sled. The middle screw is used for locking the sled in place. Lock it down, then position your workpiece and clamp it, then release the locking screw. I always use my left hand to put slight downward pressure on the back of the sled to keep it from tipping. Practice will help a lot.

I use a 6" quick clamp, like the Irwin. I tried other types, but the quick clamp worked best for me.

My Incra is the only dovetail jig I have, so I really can't answer. However, with the Incra, you clamp the front AND back of the drawer to the sled at the same time, and make both cuts at once. Same thing for the sides. I don't think you can do that with any other DT jig.